OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could have found all Tuxedo's originally, I would have all Tuxedo's. Luckily for me, the LFS's around didn't have any, but had purple and pinks. I hesitantly grabbed a few, and now I definitely look for those over the tuxedos. I have a beautiful tuxedo that hasn't moved far from his general feeding area in three days, while the other's have done laps around tank. Good luck and let us know what you think of them! Urchins are definitely "underrated" when it comes to the clean-up crew I think...
Also any experience with sand couch? Planning to get about 10 to 15 turbo snails 10 hermit crabs and probably 10 other snails to mix it up. I have algae all over my rock work.

Anything else you recommend. I want to try a few couch as well

Rappa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if it was today, what would you go with the tuxedo or purple or pink? My main concern is going to be coral down the road and then picking up things other than that I just want something that eats the algae pretty good.
100% Pink and Purple get my vote! The tuxedo's do seem to stay smaller and might get into tighter spaces. Don't forget... you could buy 10 Urchins today, let them go to town in your tank, then give/trade them back to LFS when no longer needed. I think most people don't think about that option/strategy.

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% Pink and Purple get my vote! The tuxedo's do seem to stay smaller and might get into tighter spaces. Don't forget... you could buy 10 Urchins today, let them go to town in your tank, then give/trade them back to LFS when no longer needed. I think most people don't think about that option/strategy.
Okay perfect thank you I didn’t really think of that so maybe I’ll try one of each lol and see what’s best how do you go about acclimating the urchins same way as you do any inverts?

Rappa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also any experience with sand couch? Planning to get about 10 to 15 turbo snails 10 hermit crabs and probably 10 other snails to mix it up. I have algae all over my rock work.

Anything else you recommend. I want to try a few couch as well
I have two sand conch's as well as two sand-sifting starfish. I also found a small horseshoe crab that no-one wanted at the LFS cuz the are a pain in the butt. I love him though. He makes trails in the sand every night and is good at moving sand around. I don't see him often as he stays buried mostly. I got 10 Trochus snails that bred, babies started showing up in my sump and I have over 100 of them now :zany-face: . I also have the snails that bury themselves, and come out at feeding time (Right now I'm having a brain fart and I can't think of their names!)

Rappa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay perfect thank you I didn’t really think of that so maybe I’ll try one of each lol and see what’s best how do you go about acclimating the urchins same way as you do any invert?
I made a mistake of fresh-water dipping them one time when I got them from an LFS that had really dirty tanks. I was scared that they would introduce something bad into my tank. DO NOT DO THIS! Inverts do not like low salinity. One out of three died almost immediately. I am no invert expert, but acclimate them like you would a fish I would say...

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drip acclimate all my inverts after floating them for temp acclimating. I have found d it to be less stressful on them. Conches are great. Will help stir the sand and eat lots of algae within their reach. Totally worth their investment in my tank. Good luck!

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two sand conch's as well as two sand-sifting starfish. I also found a small horseshoe crab that no-one wanted at the LFS cuz the are a pain in the butt. I love him though. He makes trails in the sand every night and is good at moving sand around. I don't see him often as he stays buried mostly. I got 10 Trochus snails that bred, babies started showing up in my sump and I have over 100 of them now :zany-face: . I also have the snails that bury themselves, and come out at feeding time (Right now I'm having a brain fart and I can't think of their names!)
Nassirus snails or whatever they are called. But hell, yeah I’m excited to hear that. I’m definitely gonna get a few of the. Conchs how are the sand sifting starfishes? Do they mess with your coral or anything like that? That’s a reason I have not got them. I just don’t know enough about them. Also, I like the horseshoe crabs just don’t know enough about them either and have not heard enough about them being reef safe. I think that they would be great to clean the sand.

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drip acclimate all my inverts after floating them for temp acclimating. I have found d it to be less stressful on them. Conches are great. Will help stir the sand and eat lots of algae within their reach. Totally worth their investment in my tank. Good luck!
Great I’m very happy to hear that. I’m definitely gonna pick a few up today and good to hear. They are the same drip acclamation as anything else. How about starfish is that the same as snails and crabs?

I’ve basically heard you drip acclimate everything but an anemones and clams and coral obviously, you dip those. Am I correct ?

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that sucks. Local fish store did not have any astrea turbos or couchs only had pincusion urchins looks like they got wiped clean got a big turbo snail some hermit crabs and 10 cerith snails or whatever they’re called will check another place for urchins

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon, 2 year old tank. Had a ton of GHA earlier this year. 1 tuxedo urchin did the trick. GHA under control in less than 2 weeks. I also have a couple Mexican Turbo snails, a few hermit crabs, a few conchs (they do a decent job on the sand) and a few other assorted snails.

I’d do a tuxedo, couple of turbos and conchs for sure.

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassirus snails or whatever they are called. But hell, yeah I’m excited to hear that. I’m definitely gonna get a few of the. Conchs how are the sand sifting starfishes? Do they mess with your coral or anything like that? That’s a reason I have not got them. I just don’t know enough about them. Also, I like the horseshoe crabs just don’t know enough about them either and have not heard enough about them being reef safe. I think that they would be great to clean the sand.
I have not owned a sand sifting starfish, but read that they cam starve in newer tanks without an established sand bed. I am not experienced enough to give advice on them really. I generally drip acclimate unless the fish are shipped. If getting fish shipped to you follow their acclimation procedure. I temp acclimate and then dip corals.

I agree with @Joe.D regarding their recommendations. I have 2 coaches, 2 urchins, 2 golfball size turbo snails. I also have a bunch of other snails from cerith to nassarius.

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon, 2 year old tank. Had a ton of GHA earlier this year. 1 tuxedo urchin did the trick. GHA under control in less than 2 weeks. I also have a couple Mexican Turbo snails, a few hermit crabs, a few conchs (they do a decent job on the sand) and a few other assorted snails.

I’d do a tuxedo, couple of turbos and conchs for sure.
Yeah, it sucks. My local fish store was not very stocked yesterday. I got a big Mexican turbo snail and just some Herman and other snails. I’m gonna check another fish store today for a tuxedo urchin as well as the sand couchs

The big turbo went right to work but went straight to the glass. I guess I won’t have to clean my glass as heavy.

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update just went to a fish store in an hour and a half away and got
3 sand couchs
Tuexdo urchin
5. Throus snails
2 more Mexican turbo
3 Halloween hermits I love those
And they had sales on flame angles for 75

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mannnnn
So the day after I put everything in, I came in to a Halloween hermit completely eating one of my sand conchs and his whole body was out of his shell well today same thing I come in to another Halloween hermit that has a sand conch shell has anyone dealt with this or seen this? I always thought Halloween hermits were safe and I’ve never had a problem with the two I had before. These were all ones from the new batch I got. Not happy at all I needed those conchs now I’m afraid they will get my last one

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the conch was sick/dead? Never know with scavengers, they will eat anything. I think I remember someone saying on R2R: "If it has claws it breaks the laws". I dont have any experience with the Halloween urcins either.
I recently got a sea hare that has been amazing at algae cleaning. I bought a nice sized one, it may not live as long but Indont have to worry about it getting stuck in a powerhead or overflow as much, I hope.

Rappa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few Halloween Hermits and they haven't hurt my conchs'. I've never seen them near them. I feel like a healthy sand conch would be able to defend itself by moving away... as they can move pretty quick, or just burying itself into the sand. My 2 conch's have been in my tank for a year, and Halloween Hermits were added at the same time. My first thought was that they took advantage of your dying conch and maybe just doing their jobs. Mexican Turbos will be next! I'm lucky if I get one in ten that lives more than a month or two. I hate them! They always fall over and just start dying for no reason. I chase them around flipping them back over but it's always a losing battle... Hermits love to beat up on the Turbo's once they get weak. Let me know what you think of the Urchin! That thing should be going to town!

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few Halloween Hermits and they haven't hurt my conchs'. I've never seen them near them. I feel like a healthy sand conch would be able to defend itself by moving away... as they can move pretty quick, or just burying itself into the sand. My 2 conch's have been in my tank for a year, and Halloween Hermits were added at the same time. My first thought was that they took advantage of your dying conch and maybe just doing their jobs. Mexican Turbos will be next! I'm lucky if I get one in ten that lives more than a month or two. I hate them! They always fall over and just start dying for no reason. I chase them around flipping them back over but it's always a losing battle... Hermits love to beat up on the Turbo's once they get weak. Let me know what you think of the Urchin! That thing should be going to town!
Yes the urchin is all over the place he’s doing good only picked one snail up but I was able to save him lol. The 3 big turbos have been doing good too.

But the flame angel I got has ich so I’m dealing with some bull crap right now

Rappa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the urchin is all over the place he’s doing good only picked one snail up but I was able to save him lol. The 3 big turbos have been doing good too.

But the flame angel I got has ich so I’m dealing with some bull crap right now
AHHHHHH that sucks! Did you just add him to the display or do you quarantine new fish? I learned my lesson the hard way. I always quarantine my new fish and treat them (medicate) like they have Ich... even when they are perfectly fine. I had to take out all of my rocks to catch my fish and then do a 90 day fallow period. Not an fun job with a 6'ft tank! Then boring A-F for 3 months...

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AHHHHHH that sucks! Did you just add him to the display or do you quarantine new fish? I learned my lesson the hard way. I always quarantine my new fish and treat them (medicate) like they have Ich... even when they are perfectly fine. I had to take out all of my rocks to catch my fish and then do a 90 day fallow period. Not a fun job with a 6'ft tank! Then boring A-F for 3 months...
I added him to a 14 gallon display and my Gobi has Ich as well before I added the flame I pulled my fish out and put him into my new 90 gallon system however I don’t know what the problem is with him, but he will probably be dead by in the morning. He is breathing super heavy and could not even swim in the flow I have tested the pneumonia multiple times and it’s at zero and the tank established so that’s another thing I’m dealing with as well as all of the invertebrates was from the same place. I got the flame from they were from separate systems, however now I’m debating what to do with that display tank.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back