3-D printed Mesh Aquarium Lid Frames

Andgott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been working on a project to make frames for clear aquarium net lids... I have several tanks, and am too cheap to buy them :)

IMG_2753.jpg

I know that you can just use screen frames from lowes/home depot, but as I have a 3D printer, and plenty of filament, so the only expense to me was the mesh. The mesh is held in place with standard window screen spline.

They are designed to be modular, so the parts are small enough to be printed on pretty much ANY "home" printer. The parts snap together, and hold pretty tight, but it's best to glue them together (I used CA glue) for extra strength, and so they don't flex too much. You can print them to cover the entire tank, or like I did in the pic, where I left space in the back for the HOB filter.

IMG_2747.jpg

I have the files posted on Thingiverse, HERE.

As of now I have been making files for "standard" aquariums. I have 5.5, 10, 20H, 20L, and 40 breeder posted now, and plan to add more as I have time. Note that the measurements were taken from Aqueon aquariums, since they seem to be the most common on the market. But they should fit other standard sized tanks as well.

Basic instructions are posted on Thingiverse as well.

I consider what I have posted to be a "Beta" version- I have personally printed them for the 5.5, 10, and 20H and they work perfectly, but let me know if you run in to issues with any of the files.

OP
OP
Andgott

Andgott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. So your able to pull the mesh really tight so it doesn't sag?
Yes, you can get it drum tight. The frames, especially when glued, are pretty tough. They have about 25% infill in a grid pattern that really stiffens them!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been working on a project to make frames for clear aquarium net lids... I have several tanks, and am too cheap to buy them :)

IMG_2753.jpg

I know that you can just use screen frames from lowes/home depot, but as I have a 3D printer, and plenty of filament, so the only expense to me was the mesh. The mesh is held in place with standard window screen spline.

They are designed to be modular, so the parts are small enough to be printed on pretty much ANY "home" printer. The parts snap together, and hold pretty tight, but it's best to glue them together (I used CA glue) for extra strength, and so they don't flex too much. You can print them to cover the entire tank, or like I did in the pic, where I left space in the back for the HOB filter.

IMG_2747.jpg

I have the files posted on Thingiverse, HERE.

As of now I have been making files for "standard" aquariums. I have 5.5, 10, 20H, 20L, and 40 breeder posted now, and plan to add more as I have time. Note that the measurements were taken from Aqueon aquariums, since they seem to be the most common on the market. But they should fit other standard sized tanks as well.

Basic instructions are posted on Thingiverse as well.

I consider what I have posted to be a "Beta" version- I have personally printed them for the 5.5, 10, and 20H and they work perfectly, but let me know if you run in to issues with any of the files.
This is a cool idea!

Kmarshall168

Bearded Dude that likes things in water
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What print material ? I would assume you didnt use PLA as it will break down in water.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what would really be best is to simply model corners and such that use standard aluminum window screen for the long span but custom corners that allow for power and such.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back