3 day blackout affect on PH?

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

My system is approximsty 1000 litres. My display tank and sump makes up 3/4 of this volume and i have a 240 litre frag tank plumbed in which has a terrible hair algse bloom.

My display tank is spotless as my tangs keep the algae away however as soon as i moved my foxface from my frag tank into my DT, the green hair algae arrived. My po4 is 0.03 and my nitrate is 5ppm so no problems there.

I added a kole tang and lawnmower blenny to the frag tank and they are eating away however there is so so much hair algae, i was thinking of doing a 3 day blackout on the frag tank to give the algae a real kicking. I think then my tang and blenny will then keep it away.

As my DT is still functioning as normal, will no light to 1/4 of my system volume cause a ph change? The last thing i want to do is risk upsetting my display tank which is full of coral.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I measured it yesterday and its at 8.4 but my ph meter needs calibration. I also run a powerful fuge light at night

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how much it will drop. It depends on how well aerated it is and the home air CO2 level. It will be like the normal night time low, or a bit lower, continuously.
Thanks randy. Doesnt sound like it will plummet. Just drop down to its normal night time ph. 3/4 of my volume will still be under 10 hours of lights so that should reduce the swing I suppose. I'll go for it. Thanks for your help

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back