3 different alk test brands 3 different results

dannyboy92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is driving me nuts. should i just stick to one brand and call it a day? Everything looks healthy in my tank and i'm going to start dosing alk but don't know which test to believe.

Hana: 8.2
Local fish store: 7.1
Red Sea Pro: 6.5

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trends will serve you better than any single test. You are using home grade hobby test kits. Your expectations of the accuracy should be in line with that.
Just be careful when you get to expiration dates. My Red Sea alk expired early and showed high alk when in reality it was dangerously low.

OP
OP
D

dannyboy92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful when you get to expiration dates. My Red Sea alk expired early and showed high alk when in reality it was dangerously l

i checked the red sea test kit i bought today from the LFS and it says it expires in 2023. do you know if that means it's good for the entire year or expires at the start of 2023?

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is driving me nuts. should i just stick to one brand and call it a day? Everything looks healthy in my tank and i'm going to start dosing alk but don't know which test to believe.

In case of Alkalinity, difference between 6.5 and 8.2 dKH is too much to ignore.
Hana is reliable and reputable instrument albeit bit expensive to run.
Red Sea has got some reliable test kits, but not sure if Alkalinity is the one.
Many people (including myself) are using Salifert for Alkalinity. I started using Aquaforest recently, which gives me virtually same results as Salifert and additionally they have calibration fluid included in a set.
Who knows what LFS is using, API?

OP
OP
D

dannyboy92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case of Alkalinity, difference between 6.5 and 8.2 dKH is too much to ignore.
Hana is reliable and reputable instrument albeit bit expensive to run.
Red Sea has got some reliable test kits, but not sure if Alkalinity is the one.
Many people (including myself) are using Salifert for Alkalinity. I started using Aquaforest recently, which gives me virtually same results as Salifert and additionally they have calibration fluid included in a set.
Who knows what LFS is using, API?

that difference is what has me puzzled too which is why i went out and got the red sea kit thinking it would give me a better idea of which one is accurate but it just threw out another crazy number. might just spend the money and grab a salifert as well, just annoyed i'm wasting money on test kits that i'll probably never use after.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I use Salifert for alk, also used API, both were very close in my experience. I find Salifert is crazy easy for alk. API is a pain counting drops. The only Hanna checker I have is for phosphate.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that difference is what has me puzzled too which is why i went out and got the red sea kit thinking it would give me a better idea of which one is accurate but it just threw out another crazy number. might just spend the money and grab a salifert as well, just annoyed i'm wasting money on test kits that i'll probably never use after.
If you have Hana, you should be good, I would rely on it. Also tests which are using titration require very strict adherence to how you perform the procedure, for example shaking/swirling sample for certain amount of seconds after EACH drop administered.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also get an ICP test done and see how close it is to your tests and pick the one that is closest to ICP. I do ICP for other reasons and picked the test kit that is closer to ICP, and I think they would be closer to the actual value than your test kits. This is my reasoning anyway, and just my opinion.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nothing wrong with any of those numbers. Consistency is the key.
Stop driving yourself nuts :) Pick a kit and get it to around 8dkH and keep it there.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make an alkalinity standard, repeat the tests. Use the kit that most closely matches the standard.

For what it's worth, I've found Salifert both more accurate and more consistent than Hanna.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i checked the red sea test kit i bought today from the LFS and it says it expires in 2023. do you know if that means it's good for the entire year or expires at the start of 2023?
Mine says 0424 which means April, 2024. If yours is missing a month date, I would check with whoever you purchased it from for a replacement.

Mine old set was due to expire in December when it was already toast in November. As I result, I needlessly spent money on a second doser.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy the Alk standard for the Hanna. Confirm its accuracy, and use that.
I'm not sure why so many trust Hanna Alk.

It has wild variations between reagent batches of up to +- 0.6 dkH.
It is supposed to be used within 3 months of opening and drifts a lot once opened even in 3 months.
Many refrigerate the Hanna Reagent which does sometime extend it out to past 6 months, but is a pain.

Honestly, I threw mine in the trash and went back to Salifert which is without a doubt the most consistent and reliable Alk test available.

I use the salifert to check the kH Keeper auto titrator test and it is always spot on.

The is a DIY Alk test you can do for super reliability but does require an accurate pH Meter and a standard Acid.

OP
OP
D

dannyboy92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why so many trust Hanna Alk.

It has wild variations between reagent batches of up to +- 0.6 dkH.
It is supposed to be used within 3 months of opening and drifts a lot once opened even in 3 months.
Many refrigerate the Hanna Reagent which does sometime extend it out to past 6 months, but is a pain.

Honestly, I threw mine in the trash and went back to Salifert which is without a doubt the most consistent and reliable Alk test available.

I use the salifert to check the kH Keeper auto titrator test and it is always spot on.

The is a DIY Alk test you can do for super reliability but does require an accurate pH Meter and a standard Acid.
going to buy the salifert and test it against the red sea then just stick with one brand. what do you use to test ca, mag and nitrates/phosphates?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use (Salifert for Calcium and nitrates Hanna as a back up for Calcium); Red Sea for Magnesium; Hanna for both phosphates and ULR phosphorus. I have tried them all in the past 7 years and find these the best, most consistent for me.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back