OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This bowl was set to pause after not having a very good winter. The water volume was just too small and the heater was just not enough.

Everything was returned to the store and live rock and sand were sent into darkness until recently. Good luck to the others that try these because they can sure have tempers. I wasnt happy with the distortion anyway and the design needed way too much attention for my life style.

I will be posting a new build thread of the remodel. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was debating on reviving this thread versus just starting a new.

Who needs a whole bunch of new threads when we basically didn't have much to begin with here. As I said before this bowl didn't make it through the winter. I left, it was 68 or less in the house and I will take credit for not putting much thought into exactly what it takes to keep a glass bowl of water warm. Imagine that...

None the less, I did take what was left and get rid of it, tossed some, took the other to the store, never the less I got rid of everything but the rock, crushed coral sand and the bowl itself. I turned off the light and just let it sit there and bubble away in darkness.

I didn't know the fate of the peanut worm (I had assumed he was dead) I did notice that there was at least one cerith that would be on the glass when I would take the occasional peak in. The lady in my life kept asking me what I was going to do with it and my reply would always be, "well it's still actually alive and the live rock is still live so" that was about as far as it would go.

Until earlier this month.

Yes the good ol Petco Sale flashed across my screen one day at work, the gears started turning, I clicked back on the coral forums looking at small tanks again and boom, by that Saturday I was unboxing a tank, ripping open a bag of Carib Sea araganite and mixing salt water in the bathroom again. By the first of the month this is where we were...

1000006145.jpg

A little 6 gallon Aqueon Cube, a AC20 and a 50 watt heater and we were back in business. I plopped the Rock in the middle, strapped the light on the back and it was more than a distorted dark bowl on the counter, now it was a glass box!!

1000006146.jpg

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... good luck. I would love to have a nano and did for about a month but knowing me I always want bigger.

Oh I get that this is my old in wall 250. This system was about 350 gallons total. I am done with big tanks. I have a IM EXT50 next to be set up one day but big tanks are just not in the future anymore for me.

1000006454.jpg

1000006456.jpg

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I get that this is my old in wall 250. This system was about 350 gallons total. I am done with big tanks. I have a IM EXT50 next to be set up one day but big tanks are just not in the future anymore for me.

1000006454.jpg

1000006456.jpg
That's only 250gal?!?
I'm planning on a tank that's about 850-900 in the display.
And that looks massive. what are the dimensions?

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's only 250gal?!?
I'm planning on a tank that's about 850-900 in the display.
And that looks massive. what are the dimensions?

It was deep. 52 wide, 36 front to back and I think 30 high. It was a beast. I had a whole room on the back for it with its on AC unit.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was deep. 52 wide, 36 front to back and I think 30 high. It was a beast. I had a whole room on the back for it with its on AC unit.
I'm playing for 36 tall by 5 wide and 7 long.
Then I'm going to decide it into 2 halves.
One for my 75 gal. That side will face the main hallway and the living room and then the other half for my 80 gal facing my bedroom. Then my office will see each side.

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm playing for 36 tall by 5 wide and 7 long
Only thing I have to say is, this tank had a floor I could stand up on and walk around like it was on the floor. It helped actually reach the middle. I don't know if you have thought that far but at 5 deep and 7 long you are going to need some access. And 36" tall, your going to need a snorkle when reaching for the bottom.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I have to say is, this tank had a floor I could stand up on and walk around like it was on the floor. It helped actually reach the middle. I don't know if you have thought that far but at 5 deep and 7 long you are going to need some access. And 36" tall, your going to need a snorkle when reaching for the bottom.
I was going to go floor to celing but that got denied :(
Kinda.
I really wanted to be able to swim in the tank.
But we do plan to have opening access holes on all 4 sides.

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we have a reef tank now.... it's no longer a peanut worm w/ live rock tank.

Everything test out good. I am not worried about the big three and nitrates are just a tad more than I want (15ppm) but water changes should pull that back around.

Not sure what these guys are as far as named zoas but they were cheap at the LFS so I decided to grab em.

1000006147.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone familiar with this powerhead.

Seems pretty cool and gets decent reviews. My little GoSund smart power bar has USB outlets that are 5v each so I was wondering if I could use them for this. Also, could it be possible to have too much flow? I was thinking about two of these guys.

Capture.JPG

Also, topping this thing off has always been a PITA but now that its an actual tank and not a bowl I was looking at ATOs. I dont have room for another container and really dont want an ATO that is going to fail if I am away. Over the weekend I was looking at Nano tank after nano tank and pico after pico to try and see what they were doing for ATO when they were not there and stumbled upon this gravity one below. It seems to be the best way to go but they all scream that I have to find the perfect bottle or something before it will get a good seal.

Capture2.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back