30 gal fish + equipment recommendations

Raazka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,

I’ll soon be upgrading to a 30 gallon reef (36x12x16) and wanted recommendations on equipment (precisely filtration and lighting, on a budget so nothing too expensive please!) and insight on the livestock I want to own.

•Current equipment ;
-Hygger heater
-Fluval C3 filter
-Powerhead (up to 50 gal)
-NiCrew LED light

I’d like to change my lights for something with more colour options and for coral growth/reproduction. Most of what I find is way too expensive, so I’m looking for a budget-friendly option that doesn’t need to be the best on the market but good enough to get the results I want. As for filtration, I want opinions on which brands are best for HOB and canisters options, if it’s avoidable I’d like to not build a sump aha.

•Current stocking ;
-Banggai Cardinalfish
-Orchid Dottyback

For my 30 gal stocking, I’m looking for active and colourful fish, no clowns as I’ve never had any luck with them sadly. I’d also like opinions on the introduction of a black saddle toby puffer and a pygmy cherub angelfish within this tank, I have tons of hiding space planned for this reef and work in a lfs so I’ll be able to observe the fish’s behaviour and health beforehand.

Big thanks to anyone that replies!

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a big fan of budget builds, they tend to be simple and very effective. For seem reason nowadays the craze seems to be all about how 'aesthetic' and automated equipment is and personally I find that's a step away from what the focus really should be: the life system you are cultivating. If I were you, I would highly consider going for a 40 breeder instead of the 30 gallon. The 12in width of the tank will not be fun to work with, where as the 40B is 18in and will allow for you to do a lot more with your rockwork.

OP
OP
Raazka

Raazka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of budget builds, they tend to be simple and very effective. For seem reason nowadays the craze seems to be all about how 'aesthetic' and automated equipment is and personally I find that's a step away from what the focus really should be: the life system you are cultivating. If I were you, I would highly consider going for a 40 breeder instead of the 30 gallon. The 12in width of the tank will not be fun to work with, where as the 40B is 18in and will allow for you to do a lot more with your rockwork.
Definitely agree with you! When I first joined I thought I wouldn’t be able to have or make a reef last on a small budget but I’ve been having no issues with my basic equipment and small stocking so far, corals could be better but they’ve got great colour and some are spreading.

I personally chose 30 gal because of the space I have available and because of how expensive they can be in my country. I already have a 45 gal freshwater tank so I don’t want another big aquarium at the moment with my studies. This will be my final reef tank for the next 5-10 years before I dive into 100+ gal ☺️

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you can keep using the Fluval C3 as a means of filtration in the 30, probably just stuff it full of polyfil and change it out every couple of days, you got your mechanical covered. I would highly consider adding a HOB protein skimmer as a means of chemical filtration, I had one in my nano and it was kinda crazy to see the sludge that it produces. Could probably forego if stocking in your tank is on the lower side and you do frequent enough WCs. Water movement and lighting are pretty crucial elements. I think you can rely on jebao and noopsyche for budget minded options

OP
OP
Raazka

Raazka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can keep using the Fluval C3 as a means of filtration in the 30, probably just stuff it full of polyfil and change it out every couple of days, you got your mechanical covered. I would highly consider adding a HOB protein skimmer as a means of chemical filtration, I had one in my nano and it was kinda crazy to see the sludge that it produces. Could probably forego if stocking in your tank is on the lower side and you do frequent enough WCs. Water movement and lighting are pretty crucial elements. I think you can rely on jebao and noopsyche for budget minded options
Thank you! Wasn’t sure about the skimmer but I’ll keep an eye on how the tank goes without it and get one if it gets too ugly. Thanks for the brand recommendations :)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back