30 gallon "Light help"

RaeRae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased a 30 gallon rimless tank. I've been out of the reef community now for about 5 years. When I left it seemed like they were getting the LEDs figured out. What is the best LED system I could buy for this tank without breaking the bank no days? Or is it not even LEDs and still t fives?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best is always going to be subjective and really invites debate ;)

I'll start with solid choices that will grow any coral you want and have high bang for your buck- after that, you can research other options that might or might not have better craftsmanship, warranties, spectrum, apps/bluetooth, sleeker designs, customer service, country of origin, etc. and determine which features are and are not important for you. That should help "bookend" your choices.

In terms of T5, the basic setup would be a 4 bulb 24" hydroponic fixture. Replace all lights with ATI/geisman bulbs (your choice of spectrum). The high end version is the ATI sunpower and there are a variety of fixtures in between and special considerations such as hybrid fixtures (T5 +LED).

In terms of LED, the basic setup would be a blackbox LED (e.g. MarsAqua, viaspectra, etc.). The high end version would be the radion G4/G5 and there are a variety of fixtures in between.

*There are other options at both the high/low ends, but I wanted to keep this simple and not muddy the waters with too many choices off the bat- if you have other considerations, I'm sure the community could help pinpoint the exact light that you're looking for. I don't mean to suggest that ATI Sunpower or radion G5s are the reigning cream of the crop- just easy examples of high end fixtures*

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mars Aqua black box. Will need to be at least a foot over a 30 standard for full coverage.

OP
OP
RaeRae

RaeRae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are they getting for the life expectancy of a out of the LEDs? The t5 used to have to be changed every year is that still the same

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 74 52.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back