30 gallon long external or internal overflow???

finding paulo

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello,

Considering either two options for my next build and would like some input. I love the dimensions of the innovative marine 30L but find it a bit short so I am customizing a 30 gallon long and extending the height to 14.5 inches from 13 .. I know its a tiny bump however the tank cost is only about $50 more than buying the IM30L.

Where im having a problem is what shoudl I do for the overflow... I see some people here are using the eshopps large external overflow which makes the display tank super clean and gives it so much more room than an internal. One thing i hate about external is that it protrudes out about 3 inches ... So how does all your stands look? do you have it extending out or is it just 3 inches away form the back wall?? Any comments or what you guys would do? I love that with an internal overflow i can have the tank pretty much up against the wall .. Any advice woudl be great weather which one functions better or ways i can make the external look nicer..

Top Shelf Aquatics

lapin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
They both function the same. One takes up space in the tank and one does not.
If you have a wide rim /cover / eurobrace the internal can be hard to get into unless there is a cut out.

On a scale of 1-10 how much do you love or hate your tank right now? Be honest!

• 10 - SUPER LOVE

Votes: 77 11.9%

Votes: 60 9.3%

Votes: 168 26.0%

Votes: 104 16.1%

Votes: 59 9.1%
  • 5 - I have mixed emotions...

Votes: 133 20.6%

Votes: 14 2.2%

Votes: 8 1.2%

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 1 - Hate It