30 gallon new setup!

Aimulator64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last weekend I got fed up with my new 13.5 sea evo. It was just too limiting and was a very good nitrate factory by design. I can go on and on about my gripes and likes with that tank, but the big thing that I can thank it for is it’s ability to spark my venture into saltwater.

Had I tried to piece everything together from the start it probably would have been a bit defeating and overwhelming for me as I hadn’t joined the forum yet, and the 1000 dollar price tag for even a relatively low-tech setup would have scared me off. Dealing with the shortcomings of the all-in-one tank very quickly helped me understand the reasons and benefits behind doing things a certain way and how certain simplicities with basic tanks can be taken for granted.

Here are some pictures of my basic 13.5 after a coral or two, followed by the ugly algae that soon took over!

f25b8cec9483356f92ced85fcaf285ab.jpg
96170da3b47855e077c4b5a560081e52.jpg
7d11be5b5ffae821332e9a12d18196ee.jpg
5d369ba2b8aacc3029cf1a4372166c6f.jpg

I decided on the 30 because I wanted a small tank to maintain and stock in anticipation of my 75g project that will be put together over the next 6 months starting in April. It offered 36 inches of swimming distance and viewing space that I can dedicate to my nano fish!

Got the big hardware sorted over that weekend and have been piecing together everything else over the last week. I have a basic angle iron stand because I plan to make custom panels for the front and sides to hide my buckets and randoms.

I’m using an AC50, two aqua top circ pumps, one at 245gph and the other at 660gph, and aqueon pro 150w heater.

My light is a Fluval Marine 3.0 36 inch fixture that is very crudely programmed but at least functional for a sunrise/sunset cycle.

I decided on purigen and chemi-pure elite with gfo in addition to carbon in the ac50 but they don’t all fit so I will probably get a Seachem Tidal 35 for an additional basket.

I added in a big chunk of liverock that had some coralline and green algae on it, but curiously had some pretty nice green button hitchhikers and a couple rock flowers, and also a couple blue mushrooms that will likely get swallowed by the polyps. I’m too nervous to try fragging yet so I will probably let whatever happens there happen. I like the blend of life on the rock!

Here are some pictures with the setup going. I’ll get one later on with my 2 clowns and my shrimp. The gramma in the first tank unfortunately did not make it through his first night in the 13.5 despite proper acclimation and good water parameters. He hid up inside my rock and stayed there until i found my shrimp poking around in there :(

Over the next couple of weeks I will likely stock with a few more softies and mushrooms as I am still too new to be comfy with dosing nutrients for stonys. Currently I have a Kenya tree that’s slowly not being sad, a green star polyp that’s been growing slowly but filling in, and a few buttons and mushrooms.

Let’s see where this goes! I set a budget for this build to try to make sure I don’t push my 75 too far back lol.

Better pictures to come tonight with a deeper sand bed and cleaner glass.

e0827cf1791a6019d2f4ce93b6e2b357.jpg
ca8d0907a1b6199870ed536cf72cfbf0.jpg
e1c13c741968bbf634c013b4bb2ac545.jpg

OP
OP
Aimulator64

Aimulator64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck! Following along to track your progress. Looks like a good start
Thank you! I will clean everything up tonight and try to get a couple cleaner shots. I have an RODI unit arriving tonight from amazon, a (hopefully) proper fitting glass canopy on saturday, and then will likely build my transfer bucket/cart for RODI this weekend. The glass canopy I purchased from perfecto was 3/16 too long for the tank opening inside to inside on the top trim. My tank is a Deep Blue branded tank that I picked over the marineland for its center brace that the marineland tanks don't have. I went to Lowes, bought a sheet of acrylic and had it cut, but the pieces weren't square so it still tries to fight. So let's hope the new glass top from the same brand as the aquarium will actually fit!

OP
OP
Aimulator64

Aimulator64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the girlfriend just sent me this....still haven’t had time to clean the glass since yesterday. This is with all 3 critters. Apparently shrimpy molted overnight and his ghost is stuck to the filter inlet....creepy!

08ff0b21c225bff77a9038cc88b9eda9.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Looks great! The sponge should easily spread on its own. For sponges the important thing is they never are exposed to air. If air gets trapped in their internal latice work they will likely not make it.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great, way to make an entrance.

Welocme.

upload_2019-3-15_22-8-37.gif

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 149 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back