30 gallon rimless tank Options

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a jbj 30 AIO rimless tank

looking for suggestions on fish. Not sure I want to go the typical clown fish route

Thinking Midas Benny (maybe)
Banggai cardinal fish
Would like wrasse (not a 6 line)
Maybe some type of goby (Rainford Goby/court jester)

these are just some ideas of fish that I like

tank has some softies, lps and

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lovely selection -consider a fang blenny instead of a Midas, they can be peaceful but they can also be aggressive.

for a wrasse I say pink streaked or one of the possum wrasses, I love my pink streaked wrasse

a royal gramma or yellow assessor can also work, again grammas can be more aggressive than folks tend to think. A swales or rubre basslet are more cryptic and pricey but coolfish. A Pygmy geometric perchlet is another awesome fish

If you don’t get a shrimp goby pair of some kind a yellow headed jawfish is a great fish

OP
OP
A

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions - I like the look of the fang blenny and the wrasse options.

Not sure about a f’ing/shrimp pair since my sand is less than 2” deep

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say "rimless", does that mean you are not going to had a lid. If not; no wrasses or blennys.

OP
OP
A

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a piece of clear acrylic over the top of the tank (the sump on the back is open) while I build my screen top (My snails kept crawling out)

Does my sand bed need to be deeper for a shrimp/goby pair

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pair I kept for years, and my sandbed wasn't that deep. That shrimp will steal your frags and cover up your sandbed corals, so be forewarned. Very fun addition though.

IMG_20130704_181227.jpg

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go with a shrimp goby I suggest a randal pistol shrimp, they are smaller and so less likely to grab frags and are less aggressive in general. Also make the mesh of the lid smaller than 1/4” cause many can get through mesh that big. You may also need a fish guard to stop smaller gobies from getting to the back chamber. I speak from experience in that!

SoAg Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar sized rimless tank, tad bit larger.

Black Storm Clown
McCloskeys Fairy Wrasse
Black Leopard Wrasse
Bi-Color Blenny
Black Lined Blenny
Electric Indigo Dottyback
Yellow Head Jawfish

Thats my stock list. They all get along great unless some of the fish go near the jawfish's hole then he gets mad which is fun to watch and the others don't seem to let it bother them, hell half the time you only see 2 or 3 of the fish until feeding time. Ive stocked heavy for 15 years and have filtration for a tank 4xs the size but thats just me. Everyone has opinions on what you can and cant do but its more should and shouldnt. As long as the fish are sized appropriately get what you want and have fun with it. Always check max size the fish will grow to and youll be fine. I grow attached to my fish and try to not buy one thatll outgrow the tank but have made that mistake before and felt like shyt re-homing him/her.

OP
OP
A

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I mess up by getting a neon dottyback and a fire fish? Read after the fact that neon dottyback is aggressive

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 168 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%

Back