300 gallon oasis build in AZ

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/25...We went to a frag meet and we picked up 3 zoas's /// African Blue Steel, Mohawks and Gorilla Nipples. Have then on the 300 now...once they settle in, I will post a few pics...
Nice, Sal!

Is all the construction finished finally?

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Crusso, we ran into a stall with getting the City to do inspection and now we have one last to do the final. City changed rules now they even want to see fans, lights and all finishes before they issue the final. So we are shopping for all the stuff. We were going to do drop down metal 2x2 ceiling but the aluminum track material would cost about 2,500 and the 2x2 about $20 bucks each . So we are now doing a new idea putting the metal 2x2 in-between the beams and painting the beams dark brown. Save 2,500..Also had brick veneer custom made to our color choice and I hsve to do that. Work been taking alot of my time away from project. Taking two weeks off end of the month to finish this part of the project. ..

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update...Naso getting big so I am going to remove and rearrange some of the rocks so that everyone can have more room to swim. Gonna move the two big cave rocks I have to center of tank and then make two small rock islands on left and right side of tank leaving like a foot from sides of tank and also create a swim behind the back of tank by pulling all rock away from all 4 sides of the tank. Hoping this all helps the 6 tangs to have swim space.

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well last night i noticed my UV took a vacation for good. Had a compact one from the 140 so this time I bought, should be here in a few days a 55 watt 36 inch bulb one...I was going crazy why i was beginning to get too much algae and now I have my answer. I had a so called top of the line one and now I am going with lifegard one their new design. also looking into maybe more wave makers or sea swirls...

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did some research and sea swirls are not for me...at this pont Going to re-arrange the rock work to open things up and increase water movement, maybe move the two gyres to be at back of tank at 45 degress to center of front glass, move one mP40 to top of tank while other blows across bottom of tank . I am also very excited got my hands on two 1 inch random generators from VCA. ..will be using them on the two corner returns from the sump . @Vivid Creative Aquatics

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm, I do not k now what that is...Please educate me

They have a 1 in model and it seems that one has better longevity than the smaller sealed version. I'm very seriously considering buying one to try out.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

They have a 1 in model and it seems that one has better longevity than the smaller sealed version. I'm very seriously considering buying one to try out.
I may have one or two NOS, I'll check if interested... ;)
V__E5B5.JPG

look through the reactor...:Dsorry best pic i could find...:rolleyes:;)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In typical Frank fashion, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be seeing there dude! :cool:
SCWD, New in box , large, was new in 2019 anyways...;):)
mid pic , far left...

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah speaking of older stuff, I just found new in the box a controller that you plug in powerheads into back in the day to act like gyres or mp's etc...don't know if I will ever use this...see what the future holds/ it is a red sea wave master pro... I just looked it up, they still make them ...wow

Last edited:
OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I out grew out of the 5 foot sump I made for the 300. Started making a 6 foot sump for the 300 yesterday. Changing the design again. new and improved with lots of reactors, and ozone with carbon reactor. Two skimmers, one main for normal operation and one for all the water from ozone reactor and bio pellet reactor. Doing away with the filter cups, going to layered vertical foam pads of different density, course, medium and fine which will be 22x12x1 in size and just lift out to clean. So as the pads get dirty water height will increase and move up the pad. I am able to buy them in 2x4 pads and cut them from a friend who works at chemical clean up facility. Then after the skimmer chamber water will pass over a super fine felt pad with will be horizontal and easy to lift out and clean. Goal is to increase water flow, ease of cleaning and make room for all the reactors so that they are in the sump incase of a leak. Ozone reactor set up will be in it's own 18x14 dry box outside the sump and the new 3 foot UV will be horizontal in its own dry box. Sump will alos have 100 pounds of Florida live rock in a chamber. Also doing away with all the chambers from previous design. This design is intake chamber, pads chamber, live rock chamber, huge 3 foot long chamber (for all the rectors) and then the return pump chamber.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well I out grew out of the 5 foot sump I made for the 300. Started making a 6 foot sump for the 300 yesterday. Changing the design again. new and improved with lots of reactors, and ozone with carbon reactor. Two skimmers, one main for normal operation and one for all the water from ozone reactor and bio pellet reactor. Doing away with the filter cups, going to layered vertical foam pads of different density, course, medium and fine which will be 22x12x1 in size and just lift out to clean. So as the pads get dirty water height will increase and move up the pad. I am able to buy them in 2x4 pads and cut them from a friend who works at chemical clean up facility. Then after the skimmer chamber water will pass over a super fine felt pad with will be horizontal and easy to lift out and clean. Goal is to increase water flow, ease of cleaning and make room for all the reactors so that they are in the sump incase of a leak. Ozone reactor set up will be in it's own 18x14 dry box outside the sump and the new 3 foot UV will be horizontal in its own dry box. Sump will alos have 100 pounds of Florida live rock in a chamber. Also doing away with all the chambers from previous design. This design is intake chamber, pads chamber, live rock chamber, huge 3 foot long chamber (for all the rectors) and then the return pump chamber.
I loved the vertical pads I used in my custom Cichlid sump but the debris stays in the water column...

I used filterfloss pads between Matalla mat so as one filter floss pad clogged, the water would go up and over and down the metalla mat to the next layer of filter floss.

01a5d165923f46d291b5fce535597c31.jpg

why not go filterfloss roller?

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the ideas "projects with Sam" , I am not a fan of those, they look cool and work good but I know a better version or idea is coming...I am trying to keep things simple for Mrs 1Ocean and any house sitters. Got the old sump out yesterday. Got the new sump all planned and acrylic glued. Got the new sump in under the 300 and redid the three 1 1/2 drain pipes from the 300 to the new sump at the unions that I have on all 3 drain pipes that are under the 300. These unions are at the 90 degree bend at the bottom of the tank at the top of the stand cabinet. So changing stuff under the 300 is easy never have to repipe from the back of the display tank. Repurposed my old 140 tank since I have no use for it, to small for us for a display tank, was perfect size to upgrade and saved me $$$$ on new acrylic and time to build the box. Plus I love the blue back, goes great with the "red,white and blue theme" Here is a pic of the build outside on the patio yesterday. Will post picture once all the new stuff is hooked up in it... Main skimmer will be in center hole. Reactors will all be in the big hole to the right and some will hang from acrylic top I have to build.

new 72x22x20 sump design build june 25th.jpg

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved the vertical pads I used in my custom Cichlid sump but the debris stays in the water column...

I used filterfloss pads between Matalla mat so as one filter floss pad clogged, the water would go up and over and down the metalla mat to the next layer of filter floss.

01a5d165923f46d291b5fce535597c31.jpg

why not go filterfloss roller?
yes...sort of what I am thinking but I am going to leave some space between the pads and have a felt one too.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back