OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, products in stock.. Guess the New Year is going to be good. Ordered my Poseidon 200 Ozone generator, a Avast ozone reactor, and post carbon reactor. I built a dry air reactor for the air pump to feed dry air to the ozone generator. ...A soon as I get it all, I will post pictures. I also will be using my old Tunze 9410 skimmer for the water output of the ozone system so not to burden the Reef Octopus skimmer I have so it can do its normal thing for the 300 tank

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting an avast ozone too. Do you think you will over skim having two skimmers?
no...I have 40 fish in the 300. six are good size tang. the blonde naso is about 6 inches body size and does alot to dirty the water. The main skimmer is a big reef octopus, right now on 24/7 and if I skim too much in the furure with two I will put it on a timer..The skimmer for the ozone is a tunze9410. which will also get water from my bio reactor dumped into it also. we also feed fish twice a day so lots of stuff to pull out.

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting an avast ozone too. Do you think you will over skim having two skimmers?
my avast with carbon post chamber and feed pump is in the hands of UPS now. It says I should have it this Thursday..I already have the Poseidon 200, came last week. Now have to build an air dryer for the air pump for the ozone generator.
How is your tank doing?

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was delivered recently. I will set it up over the next couple of weeks. I bought an air dryer, the ozotech DI air dryer from premium aquatics for around
$100. Probably won't set up ozone for a few months due to the maintenance of it and I am keeping the tank empty for at least 2 months (trying to be patient)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through the nine pages of your build, Sal. With your name being Sal, I’d be very surprised if you weren’t a Paisan! Perhaps even a Sicilian. I had two great uncles named Sal (vatore). One went by Sam after moving to America because he had his own tool and die business, in the Bronx, and thought people would think he was American if he went by Sam. We always laughed about this because as soon as he opened his mouth it became very apparent that he was from Italy. The other and older great uncle Sal was killed in a coal mine explosion. The two were brothers and the younger Sal was named in honor of his older brother who died.

Your build thread is great and has very good info contained in it and I especially like that you’re a hands-on guy, not afraid of trying new things and repurposing items in new capacities! I addiotionally like that you enjoy saving cash whenever you can by doing things yourself and/or scoring great deals. I love this type of stuff and wished more people spoke to it as, with the insane prices of everything in this hobby, a person could save a bunch of money and learn new skills. I see it as a win. I do, however, realize that not everyone is handy and a lot of people simply prefer to buy what’s available. As you already know, I’m jealous of the machines you have but know you worked your tail off to acquire them. Much respect!

So many questions arose in my mind, while pulling through the pages. I am really interested in learning more about the fiberglass stand. Where did you get the tubular fiberglass? What is the glue/cement/resin you used to put it all together? If you don’t mind, what was the total cost of materials?

Are you still making and selling your food locally or have you grown the business or how is that going?

I have more questions but have to get moving to help a friend plumb walls and hang drywall in an house that took some heavy damage from hurricane Ian.

Hope you have a great MLK Day! I also hope you are able to provide more frequent updates than you have in recent months. People like updates or, at least, I do!

Last edited:
OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through the nine pages of your build, Sal. With your name being Sal, I’d be very surprised if you weren’t a Paisan! Perhaps even a Sicilian. I had two great uncles named Sal (vatore). One went by Sam after moving to America because he had his own tool and die business, in the Bronx, and thought people would think he was American if he went by Sam. We always laughed about this because as soon as he opened his mouth it became very apparent that he was from Italy. The other and older great uncle Sal was killed in a coal mine explosion. The two were brothers and the younger Sal was named in honor of his older brother who died.

Your build thread is great and has very good info contained in it and I especially like that you’re a hands-on guy, not afraid of trying new things and repurposing items in new capacities! I addiotionally like that you enjoy saving cash whenever you can by doing things yourself and/or scoring great deals. I love this type of stuff and wished more people spoke to it as, with the insane prices of everything in this hobby, a person could save a bunch of money and learn new skills. I see it as a win. I do, however, realize that not everyone is handy and a lot of people simply prefer to buy what’s available. As you already know, I’m jealous of the machines you have but know you worked your tail off to acquire them. Much respect!

So many questions arose in my mind, while pulling through the pages. I am really interested in learning more about the fiberglass stand. Where did you get the tubular fiberglass? What is the glue/cement/resin you used to put it all together? If you don’t mind, what was the total cost of materials?

Are you still making and selling your food locally or have you grown the business or how is that going?

I have more questions but have to get moving to help a friend plumb walls and hang drywall in an house that took some heavy damage from hurricane Ian.

Hope you have a great MLK Day! I also hope you are able to provide more frequent updates than you have in recent months. People like updates or, at least, I do!
thanks crusso...I am still only selling our food here locally..for now. also as far as all my acquirement of all these great tools(toys), I am learning and doing it all to someday soon provide good custom products to reefers for a fair honest price and help people save $$$. money... also as far as the fiberglass 2 inch square tubes that I used to build my stand and the glue required to glue it all together I am working on securing my access to buy and be a supplier to everyone so I can custom cut each stand and ups it to people. The tubes come in 10 foot lengths here in az and would not be cost effective to send ups as it is...
I just got the acrylic table bender and have not unpacked it yet...
If you need something made I can do it for ya... I am also making some ato/ kalk containers with led lights...I will be looking for people to product test them ....I will keep you in mind if you want....

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks crusso...I am still only selling our food here locally..for now. also as far as all my acquirement of all these great tools(toys), I am learning and doing it all to someday soon provide good custom products to reefers for a fair honest price and help people save $$$. money... also as far as the fiberglass 2 inch square tubes that I used to build my stand and the glue required to glue it all together I am working on securing my access to buy and be a supplier to everyone so I can custom cut each stand and ups it to people. The tubes come in 10 foot lengths here in az and would not be cost effective to send ups as it is...
I just got the acrylic table bender and have not unpacked it yet...
If you need something made I can do it for ya... I am also making some ato/ kalk containers with led lights...I will be looking for people to product test them ....I will keep you in mind if you want....

Sure, that would be great to keep me in mind.

Here’s a good video about making a table bender. With some slight modifications it could be really nice and definitely easy to upsize.

Last edited:

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Cool project! Could you not have simply used a more rigid pipe? The first one that comes to mind is black iron gas pipe. Or did you want to stick with the conduit?
I wanted to stick with conduit. Ideally, I want to make (or enable) one big enough to cut airfoils/boats/boards super inexpensively. (roll of PLA, pack of BBs, some hardware, conduit, steppers & control board.)
so even more ridged pipe would have the same deflection issues over such a long span (like 14')

first project is cutting a sail for the fiberglass model boat I built... This saltwater fish tank thing is just a distraction...

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to stick with conduit. Ideally, I want to make (or enable) one big enough to cut airfoils/boats/boards super inexpensively. (roll of PLA, pack of BBs, some hardware, conduit, steppers & control board.)
so even more ridged pipe would have the same deflection issues over such a long span (like 14')

first project is cutting a sail for the fiberglass model boat I built... This saltwater fish tank thing is just a distraction...

The deflection along the x axis m, regardless of length, would be more of a function of the height and weight along the y axis.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The deflection along the x axis m, regardless of length, would be more of a function of the height and weight along the y axis.
for airfoils and surfboards/paddleboards/kayaks Z doesnt need to be too big. X doesnt exist - its the hot-wire that is under tension.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back