OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the new sump I built is finally all piped in and the 300 is full of rodi water.
The new sump has 45 gallons of rodi water in it and the return pump is on.
New sump can hold 112 gallons (60x24x18)
Everything is working good,\
tomorrow I will add the tropic marin pro reef salt and begin the cycle...with brightwell products...

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the new sump I built is finally all piped in and the 300 is full of rodi water.
The new sump has 45 gallons of rodi water in it and the return pump is on.
New sump can hold 112 gallons (60x24x18)
Everything is working good,\
tomorrow I will add the tropic marin pro reef salt and begin the cycle...with brightwell products...
Pics or it didn’t happen.

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey eagle steve here is pictures of the sump I built in progress...after the 4 filter cups is the reef octopus skimmer which you can see part of it in the picture..

5x2 sumpw clamps.jpg 5x2 sump glued.jpg 5x2 filter cups and inlets.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks...I find building stuff relaxing and saves a ton of cash...I paid like 150 bucks for all the acrylic to build this sump..which If i bought it on line would be like 1200 to 1600 for what I saw was like 60x12x16 verse mine 60x24x18...
You have mad skills. Looks great.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks...I find building stuff relaxing and saves a ton of cash...I paid like 150 bucks for all the acrylic to build this sump..which If i bought it on line would be like 1200 to 1600 for what I saw was like 60x12x16 verse mine 60x24x18...
I can build cars, other assorted mechanical things and electronics, but was never good with glass or acrylic. Best I have done is an overflow box for my 7’ macro tank and my stands for the tanks (steel and wood).

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can build cars, other assorted mechanical things and electronics, but was never good with glass or acrylic. Best I have done is an overflow box for my 7’ macro tank and my stands for the tanks (steel and wood).
ah.. sounds like your a hands on guy too. I can do wood projects no problem. Doing a demo now tearing off a section of roof on my house to add a second walk in closet 9x12 and a 20x30 pation roof.
So it did take me some practice with acrylic, and I am sure it takes me longer to do then someone who has been doing it for years but as I see it I save over a grand and did it my way...I already have a few people who I know who want me to build them some stuff...gonna buy a cnc router table...

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah bourbon time...two big boxes of Tropic Marin Pro reef salt in the 300 and the new heater is on...
Will check salinity tomorrow before I add any more salt and the temp should be 78 by then...
System is recirculating the water, redid the pipes since I made a new sump. Return water to the tank from the sump goes in from top of tank into the far left and far right corners. I had the tank builder drill a hole in each top corner brace so that a 1" bulk head can be used for the return pipes.

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
Was out shopping and found this used fish tank equipment store today, kinda like a flea market antique store set up. They have all kinds of stuff from tanks to even out dated chemicals, don't know who would buy those out dated stuff but.....hey....
But I found this Bubble Magus used sump, 30x14x16. It was a wreck and I cleaned it up as picture shows.
This is gonna be the stand alone refugium, with it's own over flow from the main tank and then will spill over into the 2 separate sumps I have planned.
I added a new blue media filter cup to filter the water, then into the chaeto chamber and then I can put a filter block before it goes back to the next chamber and then to the two sumps...
I think I may add crushed coral to the last chamber, and hermit crabs but not sure yet.
Anyone have any ideas to this, I appreciate all ideas....
It cost me $45.00 !!!! I could not buy the acrylic for that cheap and make it my self...
A score for the second day of 2021...
I know that store got my tank there nicely done!

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its awesome man. Wish you could of seen my old system. Sumps pretty much identical. Problem was up top and not enough equalization through tables. Yours is going to be super nice. Love the turn over. I'm probably pushing 700 gallons an hour through my new 80 frag I just set up and almost dead silent. Didnt realize you where so close im in east mesa out near the river.
Me too! Just set up a 70 frag. Howdy neighbor

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey "needareef and LRT"
I am at the Chandler/Gilbert border....
New sump I made is working super great..5ftx2ftx18"...all three 1 1/2 feed into a manifold and then two 1 1/2 pipes feed the sump...
I was not too happy with the original plan of two sump tied together with pipes, I could not get enough flow through them.. My original plan was for two returns, one in each but the pipes did not keep it even...
Also got this huge reef octopus skimmer and then I made a sulfur reactor and aragonite (ARM) reactor and it did not fit in the sump. I was worried about a leak in the future so now everything in in the new sump...
I did away with the refugium since doing a lot of reading and research, I decided against one..
Flow is amazing..
I posted a few pictures in previous post above..
Sal
1 ocean llc

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300 is doing great. Got all the fish moved from the 140 to the 300 during the past weeks. Moved the last few yesterday.
The new sump I made (60x24x18) works super great and holds everything inside it from my previous design of two smaller sumps and a refug.. I am totally happy with all the room I have under the 300 by using this design and size.
I got 3 cabinets from Ikea, one each to use for my GHL set up, Ecotech battery backups and dosing containers in the bottom one. I want to keep as much electrical out from under the tank, mainly these GHL and battery backup.
So the 300 now has 37 fish in it all mostly under 2 inches except for the 6 tangs and 5 anthias.

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was given a black misbar clown from a friend of a friend cause they were moving. We added him to the 8 orange clown group we have yesterday.
He was accepted and they all swim and sometimes stay in a ball... He is happy with them in the 300...

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture of the 300 today 2/21/22.
Tank cycled weeks ago and now we have all the fish from the 140 in the 300.
Gonna clean up and sell the 140 soon.
Tank will have 4 radions gen5 xr30's . In the picture it shows 3. the 4th on is on the 75 keeping the corals and zoa's happy for now

IMG_0385.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back