OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look fine. Calcium test if you ever see any polyp issues with corals. Honestly, the api alk - calc- kits aren't too bad. It's the api ammonia that is highly untrustworthy.

No need to hana unless you are running for fine tuning your system. Mostly for expensive corals and colors.

Also, don't forget your daily noopsythe entry.
Yeah only early on in tank and wont be buying and super expensive corals in near future as want be confident can care for easier and cheaper corals first,but will be at a minumum getting calcium and magnesium test kits as if ever want any advice if tank or corals struggling then this be one of first things of anyone who wanting to help me will ask for parameters and i read and understand better results if keep tank stable so need to test ^_^

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, another give away by them here. I can't find the rules on who can't apply.
Cheers for this,i just read rules and unsure if it means you must use their lights in tank now to grow corals or if read further down it says " winner must use their lights and record growth weekly for 2 months.but i will enter and see what happens

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cheers for this,i just read rules and unsure if it means you must use their lights in tank now to grow corals or if read further down it says " winner must use their lights and record growth weekly for 2 months.but i will enter and see what happens
I don't mind either way. I already jot down most of the stuff.

it's how I know if I am lacking.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well seen red/ white tipped legs of a hermit and thought bingo i found the owner of the molt but then seen a leg of a molt right next to the dark orange/ light orange leg or claw from other day and defo different so the hunt continues and i dont like giving up so even if takes me months i still will be looking ha ha .

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sure whats happenning here,whether hermit been picking at superglue or what ( been about 2 weeks since last glued anything down so would thought that would completely set by now) but seems something sticky stuck to both claws and cant seperate it ummm

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well last few days i been telling mibu my biggest hairest hermit crab is the most peaceful but was in a thread last night of a conch freaking out and jumping and op guessed was maybe a hermit attacking/ bothering it but was unsure.
Well 22 or so hours later i see my cbb darting around tank and look and large hermit wrestling my smallest conch ( just over 2 inches) so use coral feeder to seperate then sat and broke coral feeder lol and caught back end of conch jumping away to safety ( 30 inch in total till hit corner glass)
Kind freaky 2 in 22 hours but guess lots all around world but often never seen ^_^

And other thread from last night ^_^

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got funny feeling my pistol shrimp dead.
Usually see it in a rock i hollowed out and entrance is there and see it every single night but not seen or heard it in 2- 3 days now and same time ywg is coming more out his burrow which normally doesnt do.i read gobies do this when lose shrimp as they lost and looking for their buddy but no way for me to check or not so will just have to wait and read some people dont see or hear theres for weeks at a time,probably just molted and chilling while his new skeloton hardens more than likely.

Every other fish,shrimp and hermit all ok.nassarious snails i see couple here and there but dont see often like once did,so no major problems but thought add here so got something to look back at when last seen,also seen a new entrance yesterday and unsure how long been there but also another possibility is he chilling at another entrance,aw and notice the ywg last 2 nights after midnight just waiting at entrance to rock i hollowed out for them which is very unusual also ^_^

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermit will be fine, pistol shrimp could be molting. Stressful time, a lot of shrimp die molting. Hope it shows up Again.
Yeah hope all ok,all i can do is just wait and see.in the 5 months or so since had the pistol i only ever seen 1 molt but molts from my 2 cleaner shrimp i see every week or 2 and they grown so much,they huge now lol.
I noticed a few small rocks and a tentacle sticking out so thought AW NO THE ROCKS COLLAPSED AND CRUSHED THE PISTOL but these rocks tiny and seen him pick them up no trouble and millions years evolution would enable him to dig himself out anyhow ha ha,ovbiously if rocks not to big which these ones wasnt and maybe tentacle of pistols molt or could be from cleaner who knows ^_^

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well every 15- 30 minutes the ywg swimming up the glass and even nearly venturing to other side of tank which is very unlike him as never left pistol shrimp side or was at most few inches from the burrow so will give it a few more days and if still dont hear or see pistol will seriously consider getting ywg another friend and look up best way to introduce etc etc as ywg seems totally lost like he lost his soul mate ha ha

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yet another video lol and again seems the larger hermit harrassing the smallest conch,seemed like it was another hermit that following it in video but if watch till end, see all snail gunk on larger hermit yet again so he my suspect ^_^

So need put him in sump,no lights down there at momemt and very little light gets in back of cabinet so even though probably wouldn't need light,think i would feel better if was but then going have worry about skimmer getting algae growing in it,but could put low light and block light if had to somehow.

Edit : never a dull momemt with a reef tank hey

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just an update. Cbb ate all feather dusters. The moment she grew a fraction, they are all gone and my favorite one. Its okay. I knew it would happen, eventually.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. Cbb ate all feather dusters. The moment she grew a fraction, they are all gone and my favorite one. Its okay. I knew it would happen, eventually.
Yeah thought as much,thanks for telling me.i think i seen you post it other day actually.i need get this foxface in tank soon i think so cleaner fish got another fish to pester.i look at tank and he pestering the wrasse so wrasse cant do his job in tank but cbb is then cleaner goes and disrupts the cbb stopping him doing his job ha ha and hopefully foxface doesnt end up hiding in rocks scared as cleaner harrassing it as you say yours big coward and read alot others say same but we shall see when finally get in gear and go to the lfs

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The fox face, feel a lot safer with other fish. I think I am at that point fox isn't scared now. Fox can swim with the cbb or tang now.
Yours should be good once you get him/her

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah hopefully.will be one of eventually 4 decent sized hopefully active swimmers.i know the other 3 are now as active as the wrasse lets them be,

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well surprise surprise i got another video of " whats this lol "

Not sure if its my imagination and its just a crabs leg with bit of purple coraline algae on it or its some kind worm i honestly dont know what to make of it,but in video it looks like a worm coming out the rocks to catch stuff maybe and when the trouchus snail comes close it looks like retreats into the hole then cones back to investigate buti will look my other videos to see if can get a good one showing it moving.

Ok here a video that sort of shows it better.good time to watch it is just before the 2 minute mark as looks like it stretching to grab something.
Cant quite decide if im crazy and its just crab leg or detritus or some kind worm as in one the videos pooks like can see 2 feelers/tentacles at its top and 2 dark patches like eyes or mouth or something so i dont know ha ha

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.1%
Back