OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok as silver belly wrasse dive bombing sand and causing storm so him and his crew can eat microfauna,was getting lots sand on the lobo so eventually got it glued/epoxied to the rocks like 10 inch from sandbed,but as cant hold it and push force down on the flesh i had to grab it by its skeloton at sides and it fell off couple times and unsure whether ruptured sides a bit ( i dont think so as not split sides,its more rounded sides but idk) anyhow noticed some kind creature/ critter in the biggest hole but cant make an id as wouldnt show its face,just i think 4 long antenna/feelers and in another couple holes noticed some kind of spider looking/acting critters with either white eyes or 2 bright white parts of its body,very strange indeed,
Few pictures and videos attached in the thread below

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very scary to not know what these are.

I am sorry, i failed at finding an id. I don't think they are dangerous though.

And my CBB started to eat mysis. The one food that isn't too good for them :(

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very scary to not know what these are.

I am sorry, i failed at finding an id. I don't think they are dangerous though.

And my CBB started to eat mysis. The one food that isn't too good for them :(
No problem at all.its pretty hard to find an id on something that wont show its face,but more i think of it is that spider acting/looking thing that eventually ran out onto the rocks then back in, it alao had large antenna so i think that one in big hole is just a bigger version of that one that acted like a spider so we've seen small ones and a medium one but haven't seen big mamma is all ha ha ,probably some kind of pod and there 1000' s of variations so thankyou very much for showing so much attention and trying to id and never know someone may stumble across the thread and id it within time.
Its just funny how i never noticed the holes before as ive shown torch/ phone on that lobo many a time ( maybe it was on back inside tank but the more i look at skeloton the more i see holes all over but lobo seems happy and content so all's well lol
And maybe mysis not the best for your cbb but alot it seems cant get to eat anything so thats a bonus.
I ended up buying cooked mussels the other day by mistake and my cbb eats that so mine not picky at all ( seems aslong as a shell food it eats it) maybe i try add wome tomato or barbecue sauce next time and he will still eat it ha ha, did yours eat musselscwas it you bought it the other day ?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
She won't eat the muscle, I'll chop it up tomorrow and mix it with some mysis. She now asks for food. Took 8 days. But I'm happy. Can now offer more food with her mysis.

Pods at least are not directly under the lobos flesh. Big plus.
Just using it as a safe home.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eats fresh live king scallops which im guessing is just a large scallop.
Fresh live Oyster i give today and yesterday and eating it alot better than when first tried as new in tank.
Small clams.
Cooked mussels lol
And picks at frozen mysis
Rest of my frozen cubed food doesnt seem to touch but as shell fish better for cbb im more than happy.
Ive just prepped 5 days worth of different kinds of shell fish into individual feeds and refrigerated them to see how food looks after 5 days as want to make my mrs job at feeding fish as easy as i can.as i know for a fact she wont come and slice slivers off shell fish and be easier for her if got food in fridge ready to just throw in.if see any problem in next upcoming days i will have to cut the food up and freeze and tell her when she comes and feeds fish first day, to take next days food out freezer and put in fridge before she leaves so defrosted next day when comes to feed them.
Going to have to try sweet talk her also to come and feed fish twice a day also ( if she will or not i dont know) actually maybe better to let her feed fish once daily so everything in tank eats more algae and the likes ( and hopefully all spider looking things ^_^ ) plus if anything goes wrong then less food goes in the better and fish used to 3- 4 feeds a day so well fed and healthy looking so once a day should be fine.
So think all decided what will do for holiday except whether to leave skimmer cup on or not as occasionally skimmer froths over a little and skims wet for length of time after feeding the fresh food so dont want it collecting all gunk in skimmer to just overflow back in tank lol.
Maybe leave cup on skimmer but have bubbles little tiny bit lower than usually have ot so if does start frothing more then got more room for error.frothing wrong word to use but i know what i mean ha ha
But once im on holiday thats it im on holiday,there be no webcams or anything like that.its just simple set of instructions and explain how to turn all labelled equipment off if problem and let mother in law know where spare equipment is and ask neighbour if he minds swapping equipmemt over if need arises ( which will only be return pump or power head ) just to keep flow and heated etc as i know mother in law would just say i cant do it and wouldnt want kill your fish if do wrong,even though doing nothing would kill fish as i know how she is but appreciate her coming feeding fish but wise let her know basics to look for to see if basics still working ^_^

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mibu just for curiousity sake, do you think algae barn or that chad from i think its reef nutrition would know what them spider looking things with 2 bright white dots are? As they breed pods right.i know cant breed every single type but may have access to articles we dont or been told about certain things we havent correct ?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, a lot going in. Don't over load the mother in law for sure. Maybe tell her drop 2 shell fish per day as part of the feeding guide?
Hopefully all that needs to be done is fish feeding :)

I do hope you enjoy your vacation with your family!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Mibu just for curiousity sake, do you think algae barn or that chad from i think its reef nutrition would know what them spider looking things with 2 bright white dots are? As they breed pods right.i know cant breed every single type but may have access to articles we dont or been told about certain things we havent correct ?
I didn't see them on the pod list
You could ask him.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, a lot going in. Don't over load the mother in law for sure. Maybe tell her drop 2 shell fish per day as part of the feeding guide?
Hopefully all that needs to be done is fish feeding :)

I do hope you enjoy your vacation with your family!
Was thinking to make it that simple of just drop whole clams in rather than sliced slivers as its mainly so cbb actually eats but when put whole clams in,the ywg gets none or so i think.
I think not as the clam mainly stays in one piece and 3 bigger fish rip pieces off and rest are right there to snag any small pieces floating off and ywg gets none i believe.
This why testing if keeping it already sliced/diced in fridge be ok for next 5 days then if so,it should be ok for week while im gone but i' ll sort something out and make it simple as i can for her and thanks will enjoy holiday best i can ^_^

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Woke up today to toadstool ripped through with the string they thredded through base to artach it to rubble style frag plug as acted like a cheese grater ( i think as it was in bang centre of tank and 2 power heads facing each other and flow hitting each other and water pushing down on top of toadstool this ripped toadstool off) was quite a mess with all pieces on sand bed and on frag plug.
Took plug put and scrubbed/ rinsed and in qt tank at moment with elastic band over the top but think to tight and if coral tries inflating it will just rip it in half anyway so going put in a glass brandy glass with some pieces of rock or crushed coral pieces and see if it re-attaches.its gone from 8 inches high few weeks ago to maybe half an inch high now pffft.
Not decided if want to keep toadstool in qt whilst gone abroad or leave in dt as dt be best place for it but if urchins move it or it dies in dt releasing toxins my mother in law definately wont put hand in tank to get it so bit of a conundrum of what best to do .
I did think activated carbon captured toxins from corals but with one of replys in above thread,im unsure now so will have to research again.told lfs why i buying carbon and they didnt tell me i need chemicure blue instead so idk ^_^

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome back from vacation, I think?

Any carbon would work to get toxins out. I didn't see the last post you made. Chemi-pur blue would just help with phosphates and what not. Not a much bigger deal.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back from vacation, I think?

Any carbon would work to get toxins out. I didn't see the last post you made. Chemi-pur blue would just help with phosphates and what not. Not a much bigger deal.
Hi and thanks for reply,only just seen your reply here,no didnt get back from holiday till early hours last night.
Well the toadstool didn't make it in the observation tank and even though dt would been best place for it to re-attach to something,i just didnt want to take risk of it dying in dt and it just left in tank until i got home a week later as could caused ripple effect releasing toxins as it died and my corals/fish died one by one ( of would release toxins or would cause other corals/fish to die idk but didnt want take chance so put crushed coral pieces in a plastic cup and cut largish holes to allow flow through and around tje coral but it just melted away and now on bottom glass under where internal canister filter outlet is diatoms i prezume from elevated nutrients as coral died i prezume and on leaves of plastic plants where flow from internal sponge filter outlet is pointed.

Below some pictures of how it looked in tank when new then as it shrivelled up then pictures of how it looked after im guessing to much downwards flow onto it made the string that was used to attach it to rubble rocks frag plug then last pictures how it looked 12 hours ago when come back from vacation.

All 9 fish still alive and look healthy and 4 of the other 5 corals all look healthy, just the gsp i cut off large rubble rock plug still hasnt opened after 2 months so can quite confidently say it dead as even 1 month ago squirting water onto it with the coral feeder bits just dropped off it and urchin ate 2 bits of the gsp with about 10 polyps on each so guess it ate it as dead or dying etc

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210914-184914_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210914-184914_Gallery.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20210914-184911_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210914-184911_Gallery.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20210914-181416_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210914-181416_Gallery.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20210914-181408_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210914-181408_Gallery.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20210914-181404_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210914-181404_Gallery.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20210914-181400_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210914-181400_Gallery.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20210914-181354_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210914-181354_Gallery.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20210914-181335_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210914-181335_Gallery.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210914_165437.jpg
    20210914_165437.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210914_165432.jpg
    20210914_165432.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210914_165041.jpg
    20210914_165041.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210914_165036.jpg
    20210914_165036.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210914_165033.jpg
    20210914_165033.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210914_165030.jpg
    20210914_165030.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210914_165025.jpg
    20210914_165025.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 27

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The leather could have gotten an infection. Which would cause it to melt. Usually those are very hardy. Is the whole leather dead and nothing left?

If there is a nice chunk left, you maybe able to save it with an iodine bath and place it in a clean cup of rubble.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The leather could have gotten an infection. Which would cause it to melt. Usually those are very hardy. Is the whole leather dead and nothing left?

If there is a nice chunk left, you maybe able to save it with an iodine bath and place it in a clean cup of rubble.
Nothing left, just literally melted and no firm piece left at all,once prodded it,was like a liquid so nothing to save

Edit if look at picture number 11 this is what it looked like when returned from holiday so still looked firm but if look pictures 9 and 10 these are once touched it ( closer to a liquid than a solid)

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am sorry the leather died. Things just happen to us all :(
I lost my large hammer colony, from 9 heads down to 1 and a half. The half may live, we'll see. I am still treating their wounds. Iodine bath every day for the time. Until tissue returns fully around the base.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry the leather died. Things just happen to us all :(
I lost my large hammer colony, from 9 heads down to 1 and a half. The half may live, we'll see. I am still treating their wounds. Iodine bath every day for the time. Until tissue returns fully around the base.
Cheers for that but no problem,was just one of them things where sods law kicked in and happenned at a very inconveniant time of day before fly on holiday but i try look the positice in things,rather than the negatives,as could of happenned 1 day later and i wouldnt of been able to remove from dt so could technically of caused alot of damage im guessing.
So even though i dont want anything in my tank to die,i would rather 1 thing die in a qt tank on its own rather than in main dt whilst on holiday and apart from dirty glass and little extra dirtier sandbed ( unsure why sandbed dirtier than usual tbh) everything in tank seems to be ok.
But next job is buying more cuc especially nas snails to turn sand over and eat detritus under samdbed

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do love my Fighting conch. I forget if it's a normal or a tiger. Oh well. Great guy cruses all around the sand bed.

You made the right call moving the leather to a qt. That could have wiped out the display.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i got 2 conch,defo not a fighting one,if had to guess would say strawberry lipped conch as redish on underside on front part but they so cool looking alien looking even lol and always working with their big long trunks lol

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh nice, I have never seen those for sale here. I am sure I can find one online. But, I don't think i would get to see the underside.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw no not the under side where foot is but underside of top part where the eye stalks and trunk are near,above that,lete try find a picture.i dont think they rare or anything

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back