solor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started the plumbing yesterday.

CBB94AE3-4654-4634-B22D-81A3D4A4FE4D.jpeg

And as most plumbing projects go, placed another order last night with BRS to get the 45 degree elbows instead of the 90 degree elbows I ordered...

OP
OP
S

solor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One concern I have is that I need to put two Varios 8 pumps in the return chamber of the sump. Doing that I only have at most 1/2” of space between the pump and the wall...

I could cut the threads off of the pump to gain an inch plus, but hate to do that unless it is necessary...

Is the 1/2” sufficient?

5DE34598-89FB-4779-8EAC-57010F3FD597.jpeg
B1E08F4D-99C4-46D6-BA29-3BEB0100C2E9.jpeg

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One concern I have is that I need to put two Varios 8 pumps in the return chamber of the sump. Doing that I only have at most 1/2” of space between the pump and the wall...

I could cut the threads off of the pump to gain an inch plus, but hate to do that unless it is necessary...

Is the 1/2” sufficient?

5DE34598-89FB-4779-8EAC-57010F3FD597.jpeg
B1E08F4D-99C4-46D6-BA29-3BEB0100C2E9.jpeg
I may be missing something, but can you just turn the pumps the other way? Orientation being north/south instead of easy/West like the picture above?

The space there may be enough. It would really depends on how much water you're pushing.

You could also try angling then a little bit to the side if you can't change the three positioning that much.

OP
OP
S

solor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be missing something, but can you just turn the pumps the other way? Orientation being north/south instead of easy/West like the picture above?

The space there may be enough. It would really depends on how much water you're pushing.

You could also try angling then a little bit to the side if you can't change the three positioning that much.

Thanks for the reply.

There will be two pumps in that space. The space barely fits both of them... I did plan on facing one east and west...

One pump will be running a manifold and a return (so significant headless) and the other runs about 3 ish feet directly to a return. I have not ran any true calculations but I would guess? 3000 gph combined?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.

There will be two pumps in that space. The space barely fits both of them... I did plan on facing one east and west...

One pump will be running a manifold and a return (so significant headless) and the other runs about 3 ish feet directly to a return. I have not ran any true calculations but I would guess? 3000 gph combined?
If I had to choose, I'd run the manifold off the one with limited space. It will most likely my running significantly less flow than the other.

OP
OP
S

solor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to choose, I'd run the manifold off the one with limited space. It will most likely my running significantly less flow than the other.

Thanks, but I need both pumps in that space...

I like the redundancy of running two pumps. I could maybe buy a stronger pump to run all of the plumbing or make one external but I am trying to use what I have if it will work.

OP
OP
S

solor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but I need both pumps in that space...

I like the redundancy of running two pumps. I could maybe buy a stronger pump to run all of the plumbing or make one external but I am trying to use what I have if it will work.

They both will have that same distance of 1/2”. The compartment barely fits both pumps east and west and would only fit one north and south.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

solor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have me thinking about other alternatives....

If that distance isn’t going to work I reluctantly could drill a hole through the other side and run the inlet into the chamber. I really don’t want to do that but it would work...

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have me thinking about other alternatives....

If that distance isn’t going to work I reluctantly could drill a hole through the other side and run the inlet into the chamber. I really don’t want to do that but it would work...
I would not do that. Then the level of both chambers would need to drop to trigger your ato. Depending on the size of the sump, it could be gallons of water at a time that needs to be filled.

You may have to wait until you fill and test the plumbing to see what options are going to make sense. All this back and forth could be good nothing, because it might be fine the way it is

OP
OP
S

solor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do that. Then the level of both chambers would need to drop to trigger your ato. Depending on the size of the sump, it could be gallons of water at a time that needs to be filled.

You may have to wait until you fill and test the plumbing to see what options are going to make sense. All this back and forth could be good nothing, because it might be fine the way it is

True, I do plan on doing a leak test. Will have to see what works... thanks

mrbh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do. I have no clue how to link it though. I think you can look in my profile and I think there is a link for my build thread. Or search my screen name.

OP
OP
S

solor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralvue responded to my email saying that 2 inches would be the recommended minimum distance from the sump wall for the Varios 8. So that changes my plans just a little.

The new plan is to use the first chamber for Chaeto, The second chamber (which was housing the skimmer feed pump anyways will now have the two Varios 8 return pumps in them as well, and I plan on putting the feed pump for the bio reactor in the return chamber.

This way I won't have to cut on the sump or the pump itself to get the clearance recommended.

OP
OP
S

solor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started to plumb in the Bashsea 8-30 Bio reactor to the recommended Sicce 3.0 pump and found that the water inlet on the reactor is 1/2” instead of the spec 3/4”...

I would just swap it out but it is welded In place... Hoping for a positive resolution here. So far I love the quality of their products. The customer service was great when I had the 40 gallon custom ATO made, so high hopes here.

OP
OP
S

solor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally finished the plumbing a couple of days ago. Filled tank with fresh water on Christmas Eve to leak test and so far as of today no leaks!

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking like a great build! I am following along. I myself am in the process of building a Planet 270 that was delivered Sunday!

mine is sitting on LVT with rubber backing. So far it looks good. If the tank ever moves there will probably be dents in it, but the tank is never moving :)

how did you decide on using MP40s vs MP60s?

I have some WAVs in there now, but for the pumps that will be closer to the front glass I wanted to put some MP pumps.

OP
OP
S

solor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 months later... I ended up buying 2 MP60's. I currently am running 2 MP60's and 2 MP40's on the right side and I have ordered 2 XF350 and the hydro wave engine for the left side. The left side is open to the hallway to the kitchen so I want to keep the viewing angle somewhat unobstructed. Currently, I have another MP40 on it but I don't like the view...

Right now I am fighting Dino's... so will see how that plays out...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back