310g Cade - is this a good deal?

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi friends! I need some advice on a very first world “problem”. :rolleyes:
I was visiting an LFS that is somewhat near me but I don’t get out to it very often. Hubby and I have been kicking around the idea of getting another large tank & we had been thinking about getting another ProClear 150 to go right next to the one we already have. I want to consolidate and get rid of some of the nano to medium sized tanks I have set up now. But THEN, I saw this beautiful Cade 310 gallon system with ~125g sump at that LFS. They had $5700 written on the glass but then when I asked about it, they said they’ve had it in their store about 4 1/2 months and want to get it off their floor. They said they would throw in a skimmer and return pump for a grand total of $5k. Space isn’t really an issue so I’m not worried about this tank being a lot bigger than the ProClear. We’ll make it work!
The LFS says this is a totally new tank but they did not know the model number & the owner wasn’t in the store at the time. I can’t find this tank online… does anyone recognize it? I’d like to at least see a review or two if I could find the model number.
I’m torn because getting a new ProClear 150 would already be ~$3k after tax and that wouldn’t include the skimmer or pump. Neither tank includes lighting, obviously. The Cade is almost twice as long though so I’d need twice the number of lights. (At least 2 Hydra 32s vs 4+ Hydra 32s or 64s)
Give me your advice! What would you do if you were us?

948E0537-D1D0-4B0B-9A74-93EFF897719B.jpeg 522CCC09-42ED-4E97-840F-16E2C77FF52E.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2868.MOV
    24.7 MB

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a Cade expert by any means, but it doesn't appear to match any of their current lineup so I'm wondering if it's an older model? It's definitely unique, though! What kind of return pump and skimmer are they throwing in?

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not a Cade expert by any means, but it doesn't appear to match any of their current lineup so I'm wondering if it's an older model? It's definitely unique, though! What kind of return pump and skimmer are they throwing in?
Honestly, when I was talking to them, I wasn’t taking it very seriously so I didn’t ask. I do know that they sell Maxspect and Reef Octopus products in their store though, so I think it might be those brands? I should really ask them! Lol
But yeah, that’s what is making it hard to figure out… it doesn’t match anything on their site.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell them you would be interested at $3,500 without pump & skimmer. Get the pump & skimmer you really want at Black Friday prices.

Then tell them you will be buying fish, supplies, etc. through them!

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Attachments

• 0D7F7E3A-6594-4015-8814-A77B6D8F49AC.png
    0D7F7E3A-6594-4015-8814-A77B6D8F49AC.png
    598.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 705B185E-BED7-4239-9CB3-E7992E0D4AD0.png
    705B185E-BED7-4239-9CB3-E7992E0D4AD0.png
    490.8 KB · Views: 77

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! And a corner overflow in the back left corner with a return plumbed to direct all the way around the rim of the tank to the right front corner.
Aluminum bracing is good. In had heard some of the older CADEs didn’t have them and the quality wasn’t very good.

I personally don’t like the long plumbing, going from left to right. More chance of things leaking or breaking down.

I think it’s definitely an older model (also suggestive from one overflow in the corner). But that may not be a bad thing. It’s still a nice looking tank. Eventhough it has a canopy it still looks more modern and not old school.

Now if it was me I would pass. I like the most up to date and modern product, even if it costs more. But that’s just me.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aluminum bracing is good. In had heard some of the older CADEs didn’t have them and the quality wasn’t very good.

I personally don’t like the long plumbing, going from left to right. More chance of things leaking or breaking down.

I think it’s definitely an older model (also suggestive from one overflow in the corner). But that may not be a bad thing. It’s still a nice looking tank. Eventhough it has a canopy it still looks more modern and not old school.

Now if it was me I would pass. I like the most up to date and modern product, even if it costs more. But that’s just me.
The long plumbing makes me nervous as well. I did think it was also strange that the overflow is in the back left corner, yet the filter socks in the sump are all the way on the right side. Then the return goes all the way from the left side of the sump, up and around the back of the tank & then the nozzle is in the front, right corner. It makes me think I’d need a much more powerful pump than I should for a tank this size.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I would not spend more than $3500 all in with skimmer return pump and white glove delivery if it was me. There is a reason they want to move it out because no one is budging with their overpriced price tag!!remember, you have the upper hand here!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The long plumbing makes me nervous as well. I did think it was also strange that the overflow is in the back left corner, yet the filter socks in the sump are all the way on the right side. Then the return goes all the way from the left side of the sump, up and around the back of the tank & then the nozzle is in the front, right corner. It makes me think I’d need a much more powerful pump than I should for a tank this size.
My guess is you can turn the sump around. You can the put the return on the overflow side.
Should not be an issue.
You may be able to put the return through the overflow like most are set up.

Is the sump a no baffle sump?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not spend more than $3500 all in with skimmer return pump and white glove delivery if it was me. There is a reason they want to move it out because no one is budging with their overpriced price tag!!remember, you have the upper hand here!

I agree with this. This tank has been sitting for almost half a year. Obviously nobody else is very interested so it's not like you are trying to beat the competition.

Offer them $3500, but don't get greedy... Pick it up yourself and buy a few other supplies while you are there.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My guess is you can turn the sump around. You can the put the return on the overflow side.
Should not be an issue.
You may be able to put the return through the overflow like most are set up.

Is the sump a no baffle sump?
The plumbing for the return already goes back up through the overflow so yeah, it would seem to make sense that I can cut the PVC off right there and reattach the nozzles right there, right? I think I would definitely try to find a way to turn the sump around too.
the sump is all glass and it does have baffles… there are 3 large compartments and then a smaller compartment for overflow/filter socks.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I’m not thrilled with the pump and skimmer they want to throw in either… they sent me the info on what they’d be willing to give me. A Jebao pump and an Aqua Excel skimmer. I’m all for using the value brands when they do the same job as the more expensive options, but I think that if I’m going to invest this much in a large tank, I’d rather just get the quality products I trust. Nothing wrong with those brands if you use them, I’m just not going to go with cheaper options when I’m also going to hook this tank up to my Apex.
When I asked about the serial number and manufacture date, they said they would have to get back to me after they talk to the “guy they got the tank from.” So overall, it sounds like they didn’t give me the whole story the first time around. I definitely wouldn’t go above $3500 at this point and we would pick it up, instead of paying for any delivery. We own an HVAC company so we have large vans & the guys to help move the tank, IF we end up getting it.

Attachments

• 253ECDF7-3A9E-4D78-B5C6-748294E8152E.png
    253ECDF7-3A9E-4D78-B5C6-748294E8152E.png
    327.2 KB · Views: 50
  • EB46206E-5A51-4B77-9764-D09A6495124A.png
    EB46206E-5A51-4B77-9764-D09A6495124A.png
    502.6 KB · Views: 46

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back