OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a massive ca reactor, you're planning to dose and use the ca reactor .

1. I will not be dosing this tank other than to balance out numbers when needed. Originally I was going to do two part on dosing pumps but after a brief survey of the members here it was unanimous that a CARX was needed for where I am going. I am so thankful for the members here.

The CARX is more up front but the long term cost of ownership will be lower.

Last edited by a moderator:

coolname1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build. You mentioned that you picked the reef Octopus Calrx over the Geo dues to outdated design. Can you clarify the reason? Thanx

OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build. You mentioned that you picked the reef Octopus Calrx over the Geo dues to outdated design. Can you clarify the reason? Thanx

Duel Chamber - Some say it is not needed but can be used an an ATO reservoir then
Capacity - The geo is 6 X24 a single chamber the SRO is 8X20 with two chambers
Comes with check valve
Geo Pump the panworld was a thing of its time but the SRO waterblaster pumps provide more circulation at half of the wattage with an amazing 3 year warranty
I like the screw on lids better as I hate hey hole lids. The lids on this t are like 3/8" thick
Does not require a feed pump as the position the intake by the suction of the pump and draws water which means more efficient with less cleaning.
Uses schedule 80 PVC which matches my plumbing. And the interface with the pump is better desigend with unions instead of clamps.
After a few phone calls was able to get it cheaper than the 624
The Octopus is thicker gauge acrylic
In the end I got more for less point blank and it looks better IMO.

asmashling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there

What a gorgeous Tank.mis ist Black live Sand from carib?
Thinking about Unsinn black ls in my New Tank also, but still not sure if white is better?!

Cheers, Flow
Sent from Switzerland!

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats Tom - Build is looking spectacular!

Looking forward to comments on the SRO CaRx. I'm curious to see if it maintains a stable effluent rate without a feed pump. You've got me thinking about black substrate for my next build. :)

OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there

What a gorgeous Tank.mis ist Black live Sand from carib?
Thinking about Unsinn black ls in my New Tank also, but still not sure if white is better?!

It is natures ocean black sand which is a black with multi color rocks including specs of white. Mixed with Hawaii Pure Black to darken it up.

asmashling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the answer and the messed up english before. My iPad was going crazy.

How magnetic is the Sand and do you have any Problems with Phosphates?
Lots of people here tell me to avoid black Sand in reeftanks

Cheers, Flow
Sent from Switzerland!

OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Update 5/21

I finally got the Calcium Reactor online. I was Very surprised on how much media this thing holds. 45# with the sponges and I have space for the 4# of NeoMag that I ordered. The Reactor with the 20# fit perfect. The suction feed worked surprising well and has no problem pushing the water through two chambers and down 10 feet of line to the filter sock. After running for about 24 hours the PH is stable at 6.5 with minor adjustment from the CarbonDoser Regulator.
I also got the rest of the modules online and programed which are the APEX VDM and WXM. Mounted the Vortech controllers. Designed an Apex DYI breakout box which will be used for switches, floats and water sensors. I also installed my DYI ATO direct from my RO unit using dual solenoid valves.
The Skimmer is rocking. I also painted anything that is white like the BRS Reactor and its fittings.
Still on the list
· Move over 200 SPS & LPS colonies and frags over
· Build Water Change System
· Mount Leds over refuge
· Install NeoMag
· Tap in another avast 18X10Reactor
· Get a Macro Capable Camera.
· Get more colorful fish

IMAG1154.jpg

IMAG1155.jpg

IMAG1156.jpg

IMAG1157.jpg

IMAG1158.jpg

IMAG1159.jpg

IMAG1164.jpg

IMAG1165.jpg

IMAG1171.jpg

IMAG1172.jpg
IMAG1173.jpg

IMAG1174.jpg
IMAG1175.jpg
IMAG1176.jpg
IMAG1177.jpg

OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the answer and the messed up english before. My iPad was going crazy.

How magnetic is the Sand and do you have any Problems with Phosphates?
Lots of people here tell me to avoid black Sand in reeftanks

Cheers, Flow
Sent from Switzerland!

I did call the manufacturer and asked in advance if the sand is magnetic and they did say yes. My solution is to buy a dobie pad and cut the plastic mesh off of the sponge and slip my mag float inside and then I sew the hole up with fish line. I then took the magnet and put it in the sand – picked it up and the sand does not stick. The plastic mesh creates enough distance so the sand will not stick. Furthermore it is great for breaking down algae. I used this on my old acrylic tank without an issue.
Phosphates after the cycle are < .03 with Hanna.
Why avoid black sand. With the correct mixture you can make and astatically pleasing substrate. People say it looks dirty but IMO put dirt on Black then put dirt on white and which stands out more? Finally ensure you put critters in the sand that stir it like sand shifting star, Algae Blenny, snails and other stuff.

asmashling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did call the manufacturer and asked in advance if the sand is magnetic and they did say yes. My solution is to buy a dobie pad and cut the plastic mesh off of the sponge and slip my mag float inside and then I sew the hole up with fish line. I then took the magnet and put it in the sand – picked it up and the sand does not stick. The plastic mesh creates enough distance so the sand will not stick. Furthermore it is great for breaking down algae. I used this on my old acrylic tank without an issue.
Phosphates after the cycle are < .03 with Hanna.
Why avoid black sand. With the correct mixture you can make and astatically pleasing substrate. People say it looks dirty but IMO put dirt on Black then put dirt on white and which stands out more? Finally ensure you put critters in the sand that stir it like sand shifting star, Algae Blenny, snails and other stuff.

thanks for the feedback on this.
the magnetic part is just the smallest issue. i am installing an acrylic tank and will not make use of a magnetic.

beside that, every "real" black sand needs to be slightly magnetic. because of the heavy pressure (vulcanic) every fe/iron is pressed in there.

i will see if i can get some hawai black sand :)

Cheers, Flow
Sent from Switzerland!

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man an 8' tank. I am completely jealous. I absolutely love tangs and can only imagine how much fun it would be to pick out my stocking list for something like that. Congratulations and enjoy it with great health. God bless

OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man an 8' tank. I am completely jealous. I absolutely love tangs and can only imagine how much fun it would be to pick out my stocking list for something like that. Congratulations and enjoy it with great health. God bless

Thanks for the kind words. I got beat up by local reefers because I did not put the filter components in the basement. But with 96X30 with 36" high stand it would be wasted space.

OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Update 5/30/2012

I am seeing high Phosphates in the tank .23 and will not move SPS. It may be a month or two or longer until maturity takes hold. However everything else is moved and doing great. Expecially the expensive Zoas that I purchased. They did not like the SPS conditions so I will wait until the fully recover and then sell them. Below is an updated pic. Most of these corals will be sold when I add the SPS.

IMAG1224.jpg

IMAG1228.jpg

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 15.8%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 60 41.1%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 34 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 4.8%
Back