320g build/journey/experiment :-)

Great thread here, love the pics!
For the LED placement, you've got a very evey placement. One option is if you're going to have the SPS towards the back you can put a few more white LEDs towards the back and a few more blue ones towards the front. Just an idea.
 
Great thread here, love the pics!
For the LED placement, you've got a very evey placement. One option is if you're going to have the SPS towards the back you can put a few more white LEDs towards the back and a few more blue ones towards the front. Just an idea.

Why don't you want uniform light?
 
Some photos of my rock while I wait for things to arrive in the mail...
I got board so I did a pre aquascape. The wood represents the dimensions of the tank.

Looking from the front of the tank

Rocksfront.jpg


Looking from the back of the tank

Rocksback.jpg
 
Nice build. Do you think it would be a good idea to drill some holes in some of those rocks that look like caves? That way the water can travel in and out of them. Maybe a couple holes with a 1/8 drill bit. You don't want to start accumilating food or detritus in them.
 
Awesome build! Its amazing the amount of work we'll put into making a "fish tank" - lol

It looks like quite a bit of work for the screen. Had you thought about using the regular screen rails from Home depot and making it that way? Just curious why you made a frame instead of buying one since they are ~ $10
I can't wait to see all those fish in there!
 
Nice build. Do you think it would be a good idea to drill some holes in some of those rocks that look like caves? That way the water can travel in and out of them. Maybe a couple holes with a 1/8 drill bit. You don't want to start accumilating food or detritus in them.

The rocks are very porous and water will flow through them slowly... I think that they will be okay.
 
Last edited:
Awesome build! Its amazing the amount of work we'll put into making a "fish tank" - lol

It looks like quite a bit of work for the screen. Had you thought about using the regular screen rails from Home depot and making it that way? Just curious why you made a frame instead of buying one since they are ~ $10
I can't wait to see all those fish in there!

Thanks. I made the screen because I didn't want something that sat on top of my tank, I wanted it inset. I also wanted as much light to pass through as possible (clear mesh and clear frame) :D
 
Some people on another forum were saying that there isn't enough space for fish to swim so I thought I would post this here too.
These are the biggest holes there are some that only smaller fish would want to swim through but you cant see them at this angle they are about 4"x3" and 3"x3" hope that helps with the understandings of space.
Rockssizeofholes.jpg
 
YAY!!! I finally got my hole saw... I will be putting the tank on the stand on Saturday :D

Here are the holes I cut... took about 5-10 minutes each... A little fast I think that's why the glass got chipped...

The hole I cut next to my 3 overflow holes.
Holeintank.jpg


The hole on the far side of the tank
Hole2.jpg


Both holes will be for the line in. I hope that the build will start to finally come together once the tank is on the stand.
 
I had 9 people come over today and help me to put my tank on the stand and move it into place :D we also had 2 beam lifters to get the tank to the proper height so we didn't kill anyone or brake anything (then I would have been killing people...) so the tank is in place and I spent about 2 hours putting the rock in place, the sand and I also put 10" of water in the tank to help me to get the sand into the crevices (it didn't work too well though cause now I can't see where the sand needs to go :hammer: oh well)
I would have taken some pictures but my batteries died... will post pics tomorrow though (I hope).
 
So I have some other pictures of the rock going in... after my brother and a bunch of others helped me move the tank he got out his camera and took some pictures as I was putting the rock in... anyways here is the tank ready for plumbing :D

The left side

LeftHalf.jpg


The right side

RightHalf.jpg


FTS with the bottom tank in the mix as well.

FTSwithsump.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new