Fish
1 Blue Mandarin
1 Firefish
1 2Spot Goby
1 “Large” fish
Inverts
1 Conch
1 Tuxedo Urchin

Do you think all of this is to much stock for the 32 cube? Will be doing weekly water changes. Have a skimmer getting a refuguim set up when it gets here.

*Have not seen the goby or his tunnels since moving from the 14 to the 32. We are going to wait 4 weeks and if he doesn’t turn up get another.

5ECDA831-EDC6-4113-B956-8A248B482FA5.jpeg

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One suggestion on the Bangaii cardinals- they like to be in groups, I'd recommend getting a small group of 3-4, and erase any thoughts to add more other fish (especially a large fish). Some might object to this, but I don't believe a 32 biocube is sustainable to produce enough pods for mandarin.

OP
OP
MrDeathKills

MrDeathKills

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One suggestion on the Bangaii cardinals- they like to be in groups, I'd recommend getting a small group of 3-4, and erase any thoughts to add more other fish (especially a large fish). Some might object to this, but I don't believe a 32 biocube is sustainable to produce enough pods for mandarin.

I have had so many different opinions on the Cardinals, have you kept them in that sort of group? Also when i mean “large” i mean a 3in or 4in fish. I will be dosing pods once a month and trying to get it over to frozen as well.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You already have 2 clowns, Bengai cardinal, royal gramma and a goby in the tank? Just making sure I understand the original post.

If so, that seems like a pretty fair bioload in a biocube already. I don't know that I would add a whole lot more - maybe the firefish. I wouldn't put in a conch either - they knock stuff over a lot.

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had so many different opinions on the Cardinals, have you kept them in that sort of group? Also when i mean “large” i mean a 3in or 4in fish. I will be dosing pods once a month and trying to get it over to frozen as well.
the cardinals are such small fish having 1 vs. multiple isn't going to tip your tanks balance from end to end. They are social, and because they are in the very bottom of the food chain having a small group will definitely help diffuse stress.

OP
OP
MrDeathKills

MrDeathKills

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You already have 2 clowns, Bengai cardinal, royal gramma and a goby in the tank? Just making sure I understand the original post.

If so, that seems like a pretty fair bioload in a biocube already. I don't know that I would add a whole lot more - maybe the firefish. I wouldn't put in a conch either - they knock stuff over a lot.
Yea the goby is up for debate have not seen him sonce before the move from 14-32. He may be dead, found out from a friend where we got him is notorious for fish being sick so we no longer go there.
So yes 2 clowns, and a Royal gramma. We decided we are going to rehome the cardinal to a friend as we prefer to have diversity.

So in total we want. 2 Clowns, 1Royal Gramma, 1Mandrian goby, 1 two spot goby and maybe 1 other fish.
Decided against the urchin and conch

OP
OP
MrDeathKills

MrDeathKills

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the cardinals are such small fish having 1 vs. multiple isn't going to tip your tanks balance from end to end. They are social, and because they are in the very bottom of the food chain having a small group will definitely help diffuse stress.

Understandable. We decided to rehome it to a friend who is going to get a big school of them. So currently only have 2 Clowns, 1 Royal Gramma. We would like to add 1 Mandarin goby 1 two spot goby and maybe 1 other small fish.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the goby is up for debate have not seen him sonce before the move from 14-32. He may be dead, found out from a friend where we got him is notorious for fish being sick so we no longer go there.
So yes 2 clowns, and a Royal gramma. We decided we are going to rehome the cardinal to a friend as we prefer to have diversity.

So in total we want. 2 Clowns, 1Royal Gramma, 1Mandrian goby, 1 two spot goby and maybe 1 other fish.
Decided against the urchin and conch

Got it :)

I don't know anything about 2 spot gobies but being a small fish it shouldn't add too much to the bioload you already have. Unless your clowns are very territorial it would probably be ok.

I had a 32 Biocube until recently; I had cheato in the back and lots of pods, but I don't know that I would have tried to keep a mandarin in there (although I was tempted when I saw the pods on the glass every day LOL). If you do, consider getting an aftermarket media tray that allows for a small 'fuge. There are lights you can get that you attach to the outside of the back glass and they light the 'fuge that way. I used an InTank tray and Cheatomax light, it was a good combo.

Another fish that's a great fit for that tank is a pink-streaked wrasse. Pretty colors, mellow but inquisitive personality, eats pests. Probably eats pods as well though, so not a good choice if you settle on the mandarin.

ETA: Even with a 'fuge and adding pods, I question whether a mandarin would live long in that size tank.

OP
OP
MrDeathKills

MrDeathKills

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it :)

I don't know anything about 2 spot gobies but being a small fish it shouldn't add too much to the bioload you already have. Unless your clowns are very territorial it would probably be ok.

I had a 32 Biocube until recently; I had cheato in the back and lots of pods, but I don't know that I would have tried to keep a mandarin in there (although I was tempted when I saw the pods on the glass every day LOL). If you do, consider getting an aftermarket media tray that allows for a small 'fuge. There are lights you can get that you attach to the outside of the back glass and they light the 'fuge that way. I used an InTank tray and Cheatomax light, it was a good combo.

Another fish that's a great fit for that tank is a pink-streaked wrasse. Pretty colors, mellow but inquisitive personality, eats pests. Probably eats pods as well though, so not a good choice if you settle on the mandarin.

ETA: Even with a 'fuge and adding pods, I question whether a mandarin would live long in that size tank.

We purchased a half media tray and a half refuguim tray from Intank that we will be using. We will seed the dam thing every month if we have to. I have been told by quite a few people in a feacbook group that they have kept Mandarins in there 32 cube so i know it’s possible just going to take some time. We will be waiting 3 months after we get our refugium up and working before we attempt. We will do everything in our power to get the little one safe and eating.

Our clowns are meh right now we just did a rescape so they are all just finding a place again.

will think about the Wrasse thank your for your input!

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried 2 mandarins (1 wild-caught adult and 1 captive bred) in my 29G + 20G sump. Even though I added copepods every few days, both wasted away. I would avoid that fish FYI.

Adding the firefish and two spot goby should be fine.

How large is your desired "large" fish? A good rule of thumb is that the maximum length of the fish should be 1/10th of the length of your tank. Is it very active or sedentary?

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do not add the mandarin. There is only a very slight chance it will survive and virtually no chance that it will thrive. 2 clowns and a royal gramma is nice in 32g Bio cube. When I get round to setting it up, I plan to also keep these three fish. Probably not much more. According to guidance formula I’ve used ( 32g-15% displacement= ~27g’s. Using the guidance of 3 gallons per inch of adult fish= 9 inches of adult size fish. With these three fish you are technically at capacity....again based on the guidance. These 3 are not big bio load fish, so adding another low bio load fish would probably be ok. 2 spot goby is difficult to care for and is recommended to have an active refugium. Wrasse would not be on my list though. Good luck.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No large fish in a 32 gallon tank, 5”” max IMO and only if it’s not a very active swimmer.

I’d have up to 6 fish:

Now you have-

x2 Ocellaris Clowns
x1 Bangaii Cardinalfish
x1 Royal Gramma

If I were you I’d consider:

A Goby and Pistol Shrimp combo (if you indeed lost the Goby, if not then ignore)

And add the Firefish or maybe consider a Pink Streak / Possum Wrasse or a small Blenny like a Tailspot or Bicolor

Maybe even a more peaceful species of Damselfish (chuckle chuckle) lol. Yellowtail, Azure, Rolland’s, Springer’s, Starcki’s, Talbot’s, Neon, Andaman, Carulean etc. But I mean seriously they have great color. Just add last. I think the blue ones are the most beautiful.

Back