34 years, action by the state legislature, winning the lottery, Federal & State approvals, and a plan. All for this dream fish

OP
OP
G

guppygoliath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. My intent by posting here was to share a rather unique fish, rarely if ever seen in a private aquarium, at least until it moves public. A educational story of permissions, collection, transportation, husbandry, and eventual transfer. My intent was never to trigger or upset individuals that obviously are passionate and care about a species that was recently protected due to a dramatic drop in numbers from over fishing. Fortunately they have come back strong to the point where fisherman are complaining and restrictions have been partially lifted. It’s unfortunate but here it’s either self censure, be cancelled, or deal with swatting or some other form of harassment from individuals that admittedly wished to remain uninformed. So to avoid more of the latter I’ve decided to censure and no longer post about such and emotionally charged fish.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine…Waiting 34 years to own your dream fish. Going through the permits and lottery and being selected as someone allowed to get one, building a 17 foot 3000+ gallon tank to house it. And then…joining a forum to share it with the world…and having people stomp on you, threaten to report you (to the organizations that granted you the permission), and basically harassing you from behind the keyboards.

OP I am sorry for what you went through. You clearly seem like a level headed person who did their research and I applaud you for your efforts. I hope this is not the last we see of you and this beautiful fish

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Update. My intent by posting here was to share a rather unique fish, rarely if ever seen in a private aquarium, at least until it moves public. A educational story of permissions, collection, transportation, husbandry, and eventual transfer. My intent was never to trigger or upset individuals that obviously are passionate and care about a species that was recently protected due to a dramatic drop in numbers from over fishing. Fortunately they have come back strong to the point where fisherman are complaining and restrictions have been partially lifted. It’s unfortunate but here it’s either self censure, be cancelled, or deal with swatting or some other form of harassment from individuals that admittedly wished to remain uninformed. So to avoid more of the latter I’ve decided to censure and no longer post about such and emotionally charged fish.

Report them all to the mods and they will be banned/removed. We want to see more of this awesome fish.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I hate that the self righteous keyboard warriors have harassed you to this point. Your journey with this species is truly amazing any the amount of red tape you have had to go through to have this animal is mind boggling…. But I give you a standing ovation, this is truly inspiring and I also hope to see more of this amazing animal. Just remember… haters gonna hate and they hate us because they ain’t us. I’ve subscribed and hit the notification bell :cool:

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is absolutely sad. Such a rare and insightful opportunity for all. To have a few individuals act in such a way that prevents you from sharing and harassment, then not getting details and falsifying report to government authorities is absolutely ridiculous and also is a crime. I am sorry this happened to you.

You can do a private chat and invite those that are interested in watching to that. You should be able to remove anyone that causes issues in that aspect and there is also a way to block people all together as well.

Minifoot77

Jack of all trades and a master of none
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also does he seam to recognize you at all?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or a gopro
Lol I have these prank gift boxes and your post made me think of one
8C669B77-A4E3-4BC5-AEF2-1099BCBEC9A4.jpeg
5D35FEFE-B31B-41DD-BB6E-73BA0B3248A9.jpeg

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m well aware. But if he’s continuing to face harassment then they need to be reported and removed.

I wasn’t arguing. I agree with you. I quoted in support of your comment. Op broke no rules. Report the harassers. Resume original goals/purpose of the thread

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6412.png

Caught this estimated 200 pounder in 80 feet of water. It’s just a baby. I’ve hooked bigger. Don’t think this would fit in Polo’s tank.

Landed another around 70 and 20 pounds. Last hooked broke off 130 pound gear. Guy above and the others all landed on what’s considered rather light gear. My back still hurts :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Minifoot77

Jack of all trades and a master of none
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6412.png

Caught this estimated 200 pounder in 80 feet of water. It’s just a baby. I’ve hooked bigger. Don’t think this would fit in Polo’s tank.

Landed another around 70 and 20 pounds. Last hooked broke off 130 pound gear. Guy above and the others all landed on what’s considered rather light gear. My back still hurts :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I've caught some big albacore,flounder,salmon, and lingcod in northern California but I think that is a whole different ball game

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Imagine…Waiting 34 years to own your dream fish. Going through the permits and lottery and being selected as someone allowed to get one, building a 17 foot 3000+ gallon tank to house it. And then…joining a forum to share it with the world…and having people stomp on you, threaten to report you (to the organizations that granted you the permission), and basically harassing you from behind the keyboards.

OP I am sorry for what you went through. You clearly seem like a level headed person who did their research and I applaud you for your efforts. I hope this is not the last we see of you and this beautiful fish
100% agree with vintagereefer and feel gutted for your experience here. I wish you nothing but the best on such an amazing and fascinating undertaking!

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've caught some big albacore,flounder,salmon, and lingcod in northern California but I think that is a whole different ball game
Those guys don’t try to go into a wreck or tower as the latter was the case with the last one hooked for the day.

Don’t you guys have fish that hide in wrecks?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please keep posting as we will remove people who continue to give you a hard time. PM me with any questions. Thanks.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 101 42.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 48.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.3%
Back