34g AIO Help

reefertank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So got a free aio on facebook. It comes with pump and protein skimmer. I have 3AI primes and a xf150 gyre. So my question is I also have a ton of extra rock in my 200g established tank in the sump. What do I use as media? Will it need to cycle? Any suggestions? I have never had a aio tank. How many primes should I use?

jstabile316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding water and rock from the established tank will deff speed up the cycle, might not even have to cycle at all. I have 2 primes on 25gal aio and it covers everything nicely so 2 should be good maybe 3 if your going all sps.

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't add water from your main tank to your AIO. You should strive for a fresh start, and who would want those contaminants in a new tank? Additionally, There is almost no beneficial bacteria floating around in your water. Most of it is on the surface area.

OP
OP
reefertank

reefertank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't add water from your main tank to your AIO. You should strive for a fresh start, and who would want those contaminants in a new tank? Additionally, There is almost no beneficial bacteria floating around in your water. Most of it is on the surface area.
So not a good idea to use the rock? Should I start with dry rock?

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is your choice. As long as the rocks where just in your sump with no lights or algae on them. Then you should be fine. But if you take them from the Refugium or display tank I would not recommend it.

XtraKargo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unless there is something pest wise or a contaminate I would not hesitate to seed your tank with live rock. I have started many tanks with a sump stone or two from the current setup as seed for the next tank. You can just leave the lights off for a new setup for a few weeks and let the microbes and such begin doing their thing. About the time I see the little white feather dusters on new rock or the back of an AIO is when I get serious about adding fish/corals and setting up lights. No need to have the lights on till the corals are ready to grow.

OP
OP
reefertank

reefertank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is 3 primes to much? it is a deep tank but not very wide. I have 3 but maybe keep one as a back up. Or better to run 3 at lower intensity?

OP
OP
reefertank

reefertank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So XF150 will not turn on. I just bought a MP10. Will this be enough flow?

OP
OP
reefertank

reefertank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be zoah and anemone tank. Need a slimmer and the return pump is loud. Can anyone recommend a quiet small dc pump?

Attachments

• IMG_3583.jpeg
    IMG_3583.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 27

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back