34g rimless shallow build

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been in the works the past couple weeks and I finally got it filled.

Tank is a 34g deep blue Reef ready shallow, corner overflow black silicone. I got it in on trade and couldn't be happier with it.

I use ~45lbs totoka dry rock, but it wasn't long dead. I pulled live crabs out of it when unpacking. Along with ~35lbs dry Aussie gold Reef sand I rinsed from a previous tank.

The sump is a eshopps rs100 with 6in filter socks and a quietone return. I had the pump laying around and plan to upgrade soon.

I'm shopping around for skimmers if anyone has a recommendation.

I picked up a 4x39w t5 fixture that cover nicely, I'll be upgrading to ATI bulbs, 1 purple plus, 2 blue plus, and 1 coral plus.

Planning on lots of acans chalice zoas and euphyilla. Some gold stripe maroons a nem, a goby/pistol, and some inverts.

Here's how it looks as of now, been running a few hours.

IMG_20160214_194856.jpg

furam28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Love the profile and the rockscape! That looks like an odyssey t5 fixture. Correct me if im wrong. For non-sps corals i dont think its necessary to upgrade to ati bulbs. If you do want to upgrade to ati i would suggest looking for an ati fixture. With the odyssey ballast your ati bulbs will burn out in 3 to 6 months so its not worth it. I was planning on going the same route but then ended up selling my odyssey and buying ati fixture instead. The difference on my sps has been amazing.

OP
OP
Reefrookie220

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the complements!

The t5s are experimental at this point, planning for ai primes, but I'd like to play with bulb combos so I believe that I ll be ok, thanks for your input.

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the rock work. Can't wait to see it filled with coral. I'm currently running ATI blue plus, true actinic, coral plus, blue plus. Really liking it so far. I may swap a the true actinic for another blue plus for a little more par.

OP
OP
Reefrookie220

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah those blue plus are awesome, glad the light is working for you, and thanks for tuning in.

OP
OP
Reefrookie220

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I figured I'd update for those few watching lol.

Tank has had algae issues that I believed were directly related to the sand bed. So I changed out the Aussie gold for hawiian black sand and have been loving it!

I've got a ton of new corals and a few btas in there now. Just added the skimmer, an sca-301 and I'm liking it so far. I modded it to use my jebao DC 6000 pump so it's probably leaps and bounds better than the stock pump.

I plan on adding pics when I can get a few minutes.

OP
OP
Reefrookie220

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Doug.

Ugh, the Reef has had a rough week that is about to result in a tear down, had ich, return pump goes out 2 days after I sell all my spare equipment, can't get these dang anemones to let loose lol.

I'm rebooting the frag system and after that I'm rebooting this tank...gonna install an ato\resivor, timer for the skimmer, upgrade heaters and tinker with plumbing.

Hope to see it better than ever over the next couple weeks.

Reeflogic