36"x24" water flow options

Best powerhead option?

• mp40 & mp10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 Mp40s

• 2 Icecap 2ks

• other ( needs to be battery backup compatible)

• Total voters

Coach_M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy! I am in the process of piecing together a 75 EXT which is 36x24x20. I anticipate on it being mostly lps/softy with a few sticks higher in the column. I am in a predicament with the flow. I am debating between an mp10/40 combo, 2 40s, or 2 icecap 2ks. The battery backups are important to me for peace of mind which is why I went this route. Looking for input on this one. I have not seen a lot from the icecap 2ks (maybe even 1 2k and 1 4k?) I did have an icecap 1k on my last tank which was a 50 breeder and wasnt super impressed, I think I just went too small on it. Scape will be minimalistic-ish, and want to have the ability to up the flow if I choose go more stick heavy.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MP10s would probably be out of the question due to glass thickness. If going with a pair of MP40s, I’d place them both on the back wall. If you prefer pumps on the ends of the tank, I’d go with a pair of gyre style pumps as they provide a broader flow pattern to cover the 24” fore to aft span.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to widen your search, a computer UPS will provide more power, more time and is usually less expensive than a proprietary battery backup system. This would allow you to consider the excellent choices like Tunze products.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back