0   0   0

doodguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

After many years of saltwater/reefkeeping experience, and several years of dreaming of a large reef system, the time has come for me to build that dream. I have gathered so much from reading others build threads, the great advice offered by others and watching people's systems grow and mature. In this thread, I hope to share my journey with you and would appreciate all the helpful input and advice you'd like to share.

The livestock will be primarily SPS (all will start as frags), a school or two of anthias, a select few tangs and a few other splashes of interest (All TBD later).

The currently planned equipment:

Main Tank: A 360 gallon (86"L x 32"D x 30"H) acrylic tank built by American Aquariums
Sump: 100 gallon pvc/acrylic hybrid sump built by Advanced Acrylics
Lighting: Orphek Atlantik V4 fixtures (x4)
Skimmer: Initially a MRC MR-2R with 12" Riser (this may change later)
Heaters: 500 Watt Finnex Titanium Heaters (x3)
Flow: Maxpect Gyre XF280 (x2)
Return/Filtration Pumps: Several Jebao DC Pumps (in redundancy)
Controller: GHL Profilux 4
Dosing: GHL Doser 2.1 (x2)
ATO/AWC System: Genesis Renew/Storm PRO
Misc: GHL KH Director, GHL Flow Sensors, GEO Reef Calcium and Kalk Reactors

To get started, here are a couple pictures of the basement fish room and tank location. The tank should arrive this Tuesday...

Front.JPG
Floor.JPG
Wall.JPG

What brand storage container is that?

OP
OP
Sticks And Stones

Sticks And Stones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand storage container is that?

I assume you're referring to the water storage. Those are Ace Roto-Mold containers.

Any fish ideas maybe a sohal Tang based setup?

Yes, still finalizing that though. I will have a few tangs in this tank, but probably not a Sohal. A Vlamingi and Clown Tang are on the current short list for the larger guys.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you're referring to the water storage. Those are Ace Roto-Mold containers.

Yes, still finalizing that though. I will have a few tangs in this tank, but probably not a Sohal. A Vlamingi and Clown Tang are on the current short list for the larger guys.
I love tangs too bad I have a 60. Clown tangs are like slightly less aggressive and much cheaper sohals. A poor mans sohal if you will. Good choice

doodguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like from Ace Hardware???

OP
OP
Sticks And Stones

Sticks And Stones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Again All!

I've been playing around with the aquascape for about a week now and finally settled on this...

Aquascaping - Full.JPG

Aquascaping - Left.JPG

Aquascaping - Right.JPG

My goal was to have several distributed flats of shelf rock throughout the tank for mounting coral. The pieces are held together using e-Marco 400 - excellent stuff by the way!

Next on the to-do list are plumbing, RO/DI mounting, then the mixing station...

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome project! Looking forward to seeing the progress!!!

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your aquascape looks great! But it won't be long before those rocks will be covered with coral, and all you will notice is you have no room to put coral because the rock is already too close to the surface. No room for growth. Maybe it's the angle of your pictures, but many of them look very close to the surface. Just a thought.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sticks And Stones

Sticks And Stones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh this is going to be a fun one to follow
Awesome project! Looking forward to seeing the progress!!!

Thanks. Happy to have you following.

Your aquascape looks great! But it won't be long before those rocks will be covered with coral, and all you will notice is you have no room to put coral because the rock is already too close to the surface. No room for growth. Maybe it's the angle of your pictures, but many of them look very close to the surface. Just a thought.

Thanks. Good points, but I do think the photos might be deceiving. The highest rock is roughly 10" below the top and most are only about half the height or slightly below that.

Mehul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the dream, cant wait to build my own when I buy a house, cant wait to see the build. Pictures!Pictures!Pictures!Pictures!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

OP
OP
Sticks And Stones

Sticks And Stones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow looks great. Where do you plan to get your plumbing parts from?

Thanks. At this point, I have most of the plumbing parts - most have come from Bulk Reef Supply, The Uniseal Warehouse, Supply House, and Home Depot/Lowes.

This is the dream, cant wait to build my own when I buy a house, cant wait to see the build. Pictures!Pictures!Pictures!Pictures!

Looking good!

Thanks.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While waiting on some aluminum extrusion for the light rack, I built a short stand for the sump and put the sump in the fish room. Unfortunately, this picture doesn't really do it justice. It's 60 x 24 x 16.

Sump.jpg

Advanced Acrylics ? Looking to get the same one with a few modifications. How long did it take may I ask ?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there... Any updates? Anything new and different?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back