OP
Sticks And Stones

Sticks And Stones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I apologize for the long overdue update! Below are some pictures of what I've been working on... I'm learning that no matter how long I anticipate a part of this build should take (e.g. this plumbing work), it will inevitably take me longer :)

Plubming Parts.jpg

Plumbing 1.jpg

Plumbing 2.jpg

Plumbing 3.jpg

Plumbing 4.jpg

"Only" thing to do is build a manifold system for the filtration equipment and add the final connections from the bulkheads to the pumps.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I apologize for the long overdue update! Below are some pictures of what I've been working on... I'm learning that no matter how long I anticipate a part of this build should take (e.g. this plumbing work), it will inevitably take me longer :)

Plubming Parts.jpg

Plumbing 1.jpg

Plumbing 2.jpg

Plumbing 3.jpg

Plumbing 4.jpg

"Only" thing to do is build a manifold system for the filtration equipment and add the final connections from the bulkheads to the pumps.

Nicely done!

OP
OP
Sticks And Stones

Sticks And Stones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, sorry again for the long delay between updates. I hope you all had a great weekend. I had a really good break with the labor day holiday and was able to get a few more things completed. I also water tested the system and the plumbing work... I did have a minor leak or two with threaded fittings, but all easy fixes.

Manifold.jpg

Plumbing manifold for filtration equipment

Mixing Station Left.jpg

Mixing Station Right.jpg

Freshwater Storage & Saltwater Mixing Station

RODI System.jpg

150GPD RO/DI System w/Booster Pump & Auto-flush Valve

Manifold.jpg Mixing Station Left.jpg Mixing Station Right.jpg RODI System.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Beautiful work, tank, plumbing and setting. Love the room you are using for this.
utmost respect to those including yourself who use the very best equipment possible. It pays to buy equipment once !

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on those photos, you are the perfect person for me to ask: How does a set-up like that WORK? (Could you please give it to me in baby-steps? "Good" water comes out of the RODI line and I assume into one of those two tall tanks... take me from there...) Thanks!

OP
OP
Sticks And Stones

Sticks And Stones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful work, tank, plumbing and setting. Love the room you are using for this.
utmost respect to those including yourself who use the very best equipment possible. It pays to buy equipment once !
Thanks.

Based on those photos, you are the perfect person for me to ask: How does a set-up like that WORK? (Could you please give it to me in baby-steps? "Good" water comes out of the RODI line and I assume into one of those two tall tanks... take me from there...) Thanks!
Sure. How's this...
  • The RO/DI water goes into the left tank in the picture (this acts as a reservoir for top-off water and a freshwater source for mixing saltwater)
  • As needed, the contents of the freshwater tank can be pumped into the right saltwater mixing tank (just a mater of closing the drain valve on the mixing tank and opening the one on the freshwater tank)
  • During and after salt is added to the saltwater mixing tank, the pump runs continuously to mix the water.
  • The pump also runs on a timer to stir the saltwater for a few minutes on a scheduled interval to keep the water mixed.
  • Specific to this system: Freshwater top off and Saltwater changes will be handled automatically through a Genesis Reef Systems Storm and Renew setup - and that's a topic for another post :)
Can you post a picture of the whole back room, was curious to see where the sump is

thanks
Unfortunately it's difficult to take a whole room picture and capture everything - I believe one of my earlier posts show the room before the display tank was installed. With your back to the display tank, the sump sits roughly 1' behind along the right adjacent wall.

twf0369

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...very nice job. Clean and professional. I am planing to hang 4 Atlantik V4's over my tank that is cycling now. I too am planning to run them perpendicular to the tank. Do you have a parts list for building the frame?

OP
OP
Sticks And Stones

Sticks And Stones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...very nice job. Clean and professional. I am planing to hang 4 Atlantik V4's over my tank that is cycling now. I too am planning to run them perpendicular to the tank. Do you have a parts list for building the frame?

Thanks. Your build is looking great as well. Here is the list of frame materials I used from tnutz.com (note the counterbore options). I built the frame to allow the Atlantik V4 fixtures to slide into the T-slots of the rails. Feel free to IM if you need any help.

Product
(AFD-015-A) 1.5" Double Anchor Fastener Assembly (short) × 6
EX-1515L - 1.5" x 1.5" Light Smooth T-Slotted Aluminum Extrusion - NEW × 3
  • Length (in):
  • Fractional length:
    0.500" (1/2")
  • Ø13/16" Counterbore Machining Options:
    COUNTERBORE @ "A" & "C" BOTH ENDS. $3.00
15 SERIES - BLACK PLASTIC END CAP – BLANK - 1.5'' x 1.5'' × 4
  • Size:
    1.5'' X 1.5''
EX-1515L - 1.5" x 1.5" Light Smooth T-Slotted Aluminum Extrusion - NEW × 2
  • Length (in):
  • Fractional length:
    0.625" (5/8")
(JP-015-G) 15 Series 4 Hole 90° Joining Plate × 2
  • MOUNTING HARDWARE:
    (4) 5/16-18 X 5/8" BUTTON HEAD SCREWS & (2) DOUBLE ECONOMY T-NUTS $1.15
(JP-015-G) 15 Series 4 Hole 90° Joining Plate × 2
  • MOUNTING HARDWARE:
    NO HARDWARE REQUIRED
(CB-015-B) 15 Series 2 Hole Inside Corner Bracket × 8
  • MOUNTING HARDWARE:
    (2) 5/16-18 X 5/8" BUTTON HEAD SCREWS & (2) ECONOMY T-NUTS $0.50
(CB-015-B) 15 Series 2 Hole Inside Corner Bracket × 8
  • MOUNTING HARDWARE:
    NO HARDWARE REQUIRED
(AC-015-B) Universal Black Nylon Cable Tie × 4

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a dumb question because I’m not familiar enough with those Atlantik lights, although I’m thinking of buying 2 for a 72” Long tank. Anyway, each one has a power cord running from it correct? How long is the cord? Where do you have them plugged in at so that the cords are long enough for you to slide the light rack back? And how far back can the light rack go back? When you slide the lights back to do any maintenance, is the room lighting enough to see what you’re doing in the tank?

Sorry for so many questions, but taking inspiration from this and just want to make sure I understand! Thanks!

OP
OP
Sticks And Stones

Sticks And Stones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HighChiefKC, happy to answer - please see answers inline below...

Anyway, each one has a power cord running from it correct?

The LED drivers on these fixtures are external, so each fixture has a cord leading to the power supply and a separate power cord out of the power supply

How long is the cord?

The cords to and from the LED drivers are comfortably long. I haven't measured them but I'd guess around 15' total for each fixture.

Where do you have them plugged in at so that the cords are long enough for you to slide the light rack back?

I have the drivers mounted up high on the wall all on one side of the aluminum frame I've got the fixtures mounted on. I have outlets mounted up high on that same wall the power cords are plugged in to.

And how far back can the light rack go back?

The front of the light rack can be pushed back a couple of feet behind the tank.

When you slide the lights back to do any maintenance, is the room lighting enough to see what you’re doing in the tank?

I have a lighting in both the room the tank faces and the fish room - this seems ample to see in the tank.

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! I’m getting a 72x30x24 from American aquariums, do you think 2 of the Atlantiks are good enough? That’s what BRS told me. I’m kinda freaked out paying that much for 2 of them, I’m hoping 2 will be plenty!

OP
OP
Sticks And Stones

Sticks And Stones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! I’m getting a 72x30x24 from American aquariums, do you think 2 of the Atlantiks are good enough? That’s what BRS told me. I’m kinda freaked out paying that much for 2 of them, I’m hoping 2 will be plenty!

Congrats! - I think you'll be happy with the American Aquariums tank. The number of Atlantiks you'd need is dependent on multiple factors including what you're aiming to grow in your tank. I recommend asking Orphek what they recommend - that's what I did.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Absolutely amazing setup!!

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking awesome for Sps u might need more than 2xxf280 but for now it should be enough. Check out Rico aquarium he mount the xf280 to the top of the aquarium so no cord on the side of the aquarium look very clean

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I wondered if that was enough flow either, I’ve noticed most people use at least one MP40 or 60 with the gyre’s. I’ve been debating what to get for my own tank

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sticks, what is your stand height? I have 9 ft walls and was thinking the standard height was 36” for some reason. That looks really low on my wall and everyone in my family is tall, or at least I assume my kids will be lol
I was thinking maybe 42” high for mine

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great attention to details! I can't wait to see her full of fish and corals! 100% jealous of the floor drain myself. I have put about 160 gallons in total on my floor in my fish room and I can tell you, my poor shopvac is about wore out lol. I finally fixed the glitch with a SpectraPure unit that shuts off my booster pump and flow from the wall lol.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back