360g (400g+ total) Project - Because more is better!

SnoQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 180g tank and I’m running out of room, so it’s time for an upgrade. We are in the process of purchasing a new home and should close in the next week. We are going to lease back to the current tenants for 2-1/2 months, so we won’t actually be moving in until June.

The new house has a main floor plan that’s L shaped, with the “foot†of the L being the kitchen, the long end of the “L†being the living room and where the two meet is the dining room. It’s open concept; however, there is a half wall between the living and dining room. I’ve decided to replace the half wall with a peninsula tank.

I love LPS and have a lot of coral that live in the bottom of the tank including plates, brains, scolys, meat coral and others, so ground space is my top priority. I’ve decided to go with an 8’ long tank that’s 3’ wide and 2’ tall. This will double the square footage and water volume I currently have. The tank will have Starphire glass on all viewing sides. My current tank is acrylic and the light weight is nice, especially since it’ll be moved soon, but I don’t like how easily acrylic scratches. A glass tank that size is going to be hard to put in, but I don’t plan on moving again so once it’s in place, it’ll be there to stay.

I’m going to have a structural engineer take a look under the house so I know what needs to be done to reinforce the floor and will have that work done by a contract. I’m guessing my tank will be somewhere between 3,000 and 4,000 pounds and the last thing I want is it crashing through the floor. My first project will be to take down the half-wall and lay tile where the tank will sit, extending out about 6†on each side. This way I don’t have to worry about any spilled water making its way under the tank and ruining the floor.

After those projects are done, it’ll be time to order the new tank and stand. I’m going to be buying an A.G.E. tank with stainless steel bracing and a steel stand with a wood skin through my LFS. I’ll get it cycling with live sand and dry rock with a simple filter system and then start buying other components. I’m leaning towards EcoTech Radion Pro LED light fixtures, EcoTech VorTech wireless pumps and a Reef Octopus skimmer. I already have an Apex system that I will probably expand and I’ll go with Titanium heaters.

It’s going to be close to the end of the year before the system is complete and I will hopefully be able to start slowly adding livestock.

I won’t have another update for a while since I won’t be in the house until June, but I’ll be sure to take a lot of pictures as I go.

Bluesaltwater87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will be flowing and i will help when ever you need it. i had at one point a large volume system as well. so i hope to be a help to you.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great project! How many gallons does it work out to be? Which LFS are you getting it from? I'm local to you lol. Also do you have any pic's of your current setup to show off what you already have to go into the new tank?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh yea a bigun!

OP
OP
SnoQ

SnoQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great project! How many gallons does it work out to be? Which LFS are you getting it from? I'm local to you lol. Also do you have any pic's of your current setup to show off what you already have to go into the new tank?

The tank itself is, I believe, 360g and I don't know what size sump I'll be using yet.

I'll be ordering the new tank from Barrier. I have them service my current tank and buy a fair bit of my livestock there as well.

I don't think I have any current pics of my 180g, but I'll take some & get them posted.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool, I may be going into Barrier tomorrow. I live up in Port Angeles but have a class in Renton tomorrow so if I have time I'll go check out what they have in. I see they are getting like 26 clams tonight.... Have you ever checked out The Fish Store or Little Amazon by Greenlake?

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your like me and love your LPS and bottom space! The peninsula style is a great approach;) Good luck!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 40 32.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back