36G Bowfront Freshwater to Salt Conversion

whiskeyblaine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upfront and blunt, I am a complete newbie and am still in the beginning stages of research. I have had a 36G bow front freshwater tank for a few years, and now have the itch to go to a saltwater/reef aquarium. This thread will have a ton of Q&A, but let me start with something simple. I am thinking about going with the Maxspect RSX 100 for lighting. My 2 part question is: (1) Is this wattage enough to light the tank? And (2) since I want to use the included tank mounting legs, how wide do they extend? The OD of the tank is 30.375". If the legs don't extend far enough, I'll most likely upgrade to the 150 model.

I'm super excited to join this community! Again, still in the VERY Beginning stages of research and just want to make sure I hit the ground running.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per description they only go to 27 wide. What are your plans for the tank?

OP
OP
W

whiskeyblaine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per description they only go to 27 wide. What are your plans for the tank?
Well that's where I'm a little confused. From what I've read, it only states that it is "suited for 27 wide". With my tank being 31 wide, I don't plan on growing anything on either side past the 27 inch mark.

But you might be right, it might only extend out to 27 inches

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are the legs that hold the fixture above the tank. The actual light would cover it depending on height placement(if you mcguyver the legs)

OP
OP
W

whiskeyblaine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahhhh, gotcha. So if I stick with the Maxspect lights I would need to get the 150. Do you have suggestions for another lighting system? I see the Kessil A80's get great reviews.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are very nice lights in that price range that would attach to the back of the tank with a single arm. Which one would depend on what you plan on stocking the tank with.

OP
OP
W

whiskeyblaine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this is my first saltwater tank, I plan on beginning with invertebrates and then slowly adding fish. I don't plan on adding any coral until I know the tank is stable, and even then it will only be coral that is fairly hardy.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which coral? It's always best to go slowly either way. Take time to let tank mature before adding coral. Deciding which type of coral you want will dictate the lighting needed. Mostly softies and LPS? SPS? Do you want the bells and whistles of LED? Best coverage of T5? Open the checkbook for a hybrid of both? Depends on what you want and how much you want to spend lol

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned kessil before and they are what I use. However for coral you will need 2 of the A360s not the 80s. They are very nice and can't beat the shimmer they give in the tank. Also not cheap of course.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahhhh, gotcha. So if I stick with the Maxspect lights I would need to get the 150. Do you have suggestions for another lighting system? I see the Kessil A80's get great reviews.
I highly recommend the Red Sea Reef LED 50. It will be perfect for your tank. My daughter has the 90 on her tank and it grows corals great!!

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend the Red Sea Reef LED 50. It will be perfect for your tank. My daughter has the 90 on her tank and it grows corals great!!

Would need 2 of these also.

WhiteSandsReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the build, I currently use a 36 bowfront as my QT/jail/hospital tank. Perfect size for what your planning.

OP
OP
W

whiskeyblaine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh it seems like I have some research to do. I appreciate all of this feedback. This entire world is new and exciting for me.

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would need 2 of these also.
If your tryna grow sps sure, but in reality one Red Sea 50 would do it for softies and some lps, and a 90 would do most anything you want.

I would recommend any single puck led from around the 50-100 watt range to kee costs down while still being able to grow sufficient coral

Definitely kee your options open, and looks around to see what you really want!

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Researching everything is the fun part. You have a while before needing to worry about the lights. Find some live rock, start designing your scape. Figure out heaters, powerheads, how you're going to either buy or make your own water, filtration and testing equipment. Best to take your time and ask a bunch of questions on here.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tryna grow sps sure, but in reality one Red Sea 50 would do it for softies and some lps, and a 90 would do most anything you want.

I would recommend any single puck led from around the 50-100 watt range to kee costs down while still being able to grow sufficient coral

Definitely kee your options open, and looks around to see what you really want!
I've never used them, just going off product description. Says for 20"x20"

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back