38g Fiji cube

Bopp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started cycling on my 38g Fiji cube , been debating if I want to go with a sock or the media basket . I got two AI primes for the lights , plan on going with a Nero 3 and Eshopps nano skimmer. Going tomorrow to pick up the rest of my equipment, mainly gonna be running LPS and softies , I’ll add and sps or two down the line maybe. Looking for advice or opinions on the current setup and filtration options. Thank you in advance !

FA062A90-FC9A-4E30-8E44-EAFF98A460D1.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most maintenance free setup is a basket where you can run disposable filter floss in the top, ChemiPure Blue in the middle and some kind of bio media in the bottom. Unless you're big into laundering filter socks - in which case get a good half dozen and plan to swap them out weekly.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most maintenance free setup is a basket where you can run disposable filter floss in the top, ChemiPure Blue in the middle and some kind of bio media in the bottom. Unless you're big into laundering filter socks - in which case get a good half dozen and plan to swap them out weekly.
I gotta swap everything other day

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good and your choices seem spot on to me for a successful start. Looks like a nice amount of rock. I'd have some GAC on hand but might not use it until needed. I tried Chemipure - never saw a difference honestly - some do. Get some Polyfilter (bit pricey but nice to have if it gets away from you at first). I ran a sock for maybe 10 minutes before deciding that wasn't worth it. Don't run anything now but a sponge.

I might go with just coral and some inverts for several weeks before adding fish. Allows your tank to balance a bit before you have to deal with a lot of nutrients from fish, then add fish one/two at a time. Also gets you used to managing water.

I've seen this method and it makes sense. Wasn't something I was aware of when I started my tank but I can see how no fish for a while, letting your softies get established to a decent size can really make things much easier.

Good luck!

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like pinkyfilters disposable, and you cut to size of your media caddy. Provides just enough inexpensive, convenient and easy to maintain mechanical filtration.

OP
OP
B

Bopp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I’ll definitely go with the media basket it came with then, what would you recommend for bio media. Just the good ole bio balls?

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the build quality?

I always run carbon, and never run any mechanical. With LPS, they like to eat, and you don‘t want to filter it all out!

Back