3d Printed AquaScape | Custom Seashell Design

ocpondpoacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I am working on a 7-gallon nano that needs an aquascape. I plan to make a fully custom 3d printed aquascape that mimics some of the most interesting creatures living on the bottom of the earth’s oceans. The goal is to make the design extremely simple yet highly functional and visibly complex.

The inspiration for this design is a Nautilus / Ammonite shell. I create the structure with fusion 360 using their free form modeling and then finished off the Voronoi style structure in Meshmixer.

This is going to be a monster to print. It is likely to take at least a week. I am going to print this in black ABS in 3 separate sections.

Let me know if anyone would like access to the 3d file.
 Shell Gif.gif

Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 2.03.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 4.43.23 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 4.35.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 4.35.11 PM.png

Does anyone have suggestions on what other sea creatures I should create? Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 4.33.15 PM.png

OP
OP
ocpondpoacher

ocpondpoacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so wicked cool. You could totally sell those suckers on Etsy (or here) and make $$.
Thank you for the positive response. I've been designing these types of things for years but I didn't have the skills to actually create them until now. It would be nice if I could finish some designs and start selling them in the future. Maybe my wife won't think I am wasting my time if it can make some $$$ lol.

Upvote 0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are all materials used to print reef safe ?
What material works best ?

a large frag rack but more like shelves to place frags with different heights across the back glass would be cool to make

Upvote 0

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

a large frag rack but more like shelves to place frags with different heights across the back glass would be cool to make
My understanding is that PLA, PETG, and ABS should all be safe. But some say only one or the other is safe. I prefer to work with PETG, it's basically what water bottles are made of, with a glycol modifier to help it flow.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ocpondpoacher

ocpondpoacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My understanding is that PLA, PETG, and ABS should all be safe. But some say only one or the other is safe. I prefer to work with PETG, it's basically what water bottles are made of, with a glycol modifier to help it flow.

Some people have successfully used PLA but I wouldn't trust it in saltwater. PLA is a biodegradable corn-based plastic that is none for not being good outdoors. PETG and ABS are both good.

Upvote 0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back