3D printed builds - lets inspire others

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot (1).png

Didnt want to buy RO/DI filter housing brackets so i made my own.

IMG_20190307_004819.jpg

375ml voss dosing container holder, friction fit with lid with hole for John Guest bulkhead.

Do you have the .stl files posted anywhere?

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how did you design the threads to fit the containers?
did you use ABS? 100% infill? or is PLA strong enough to hold those glass containers?

I did not make threads lol i dont even know how.

I made the inside the same dimensions as the outside of the original lids, with the same taper, and the original lid just friction fits inside the print. I was going to use hot glue, but friction was more than enough.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how did you design the threads to fit the containers?
did you use ABS? 100% infill? or is PLA strong enough to hold those glass containers?

He didn't the lids fit inside the fixture.

I would say pla would be ok. I prefer PETG for anything with screws running through it or PLA+ with a high infill.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aren't VOS containers threaded? did you friction hold a threaded container?
If holding by friction, won't there be risk of the print delaminating if holding weight too long?

I did a quick search on thingverse and did not find friction fit cap. The only one I found, you glue the VOSS cap to the 3d print, then screw the container to the original lid.

Last edited:

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aren't VOS containers threaded? did you friction hold a threaded container?
If holding by friction, won't there be risk of the print delaminating if holding weight too long?

I mean the orgininal cap is friction fit inside of the print, imagine putting a glove over the bottle with its cap on. The glass bottle portion still threads into the cap, which doesnt come out of the mount.

The only things i did to the bottle were drilling a hole in the center, taking out the sealing ring, drilling another hole for letting in air, and pushing it into the mount.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, that makes more sense.
I thought you just jammed the VOSS container into the 3d print without thread. lol.
The original thingverse post said to "glue" the original VOSS lid to the 3d print. That would do 2 things, make sure the thread (the cap) stays put, and more importantly, prevent the 3d print from delaminating due to the weight it is holding.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, that makes more sense.
I thought you just jammed the VOSS container into the 3d print without thread. lol.
The original thingverse post said to "glue" the original VOSS lid to the 3d print. That would do 2 things, make sure the thread (the cap) stays put, and more importantly, prevent the 3d print from delaminating due to the weight it is holding.

Id agree with the big boi 800ml version, but 375ml is very light actually. It holds no problem.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI - .stl uploads are not supported on R2R. I tried to send some to @dantimdad a couple/few months ago but no dice.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whaaaat. Boooooo R2R sux :p

Yeah right! Lol

I also made a suggestion in the "Suggestions to Make 2019 Better on R2R" that a 3D printing forum be started and the possibility of uploading/sharing .stl files be available. Never got a response and don't know if it will happen or not.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah right! Lol

I also made a suggestion in the "Suggestions to Make 2019 Better on R2R" that a 3D printing forum be started and the possibility of uploading/sharing .stl files be available. Never got a response and don't know if it will happen or not.
They’re taking them all down, even if they don’t respond to each one :)

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to ask for all of your help here soon. I am pretty heavily booked out with our 3D printers, but i want to have some fun in about 6 months. I am going to purchase a 20g, most likely AIO and stock it with nothing but PLA material. I am going to use live sand and most likely a very small piece of live rock.

The plan from there:
1) Instant cycle using Fritz9
2) 3D rock scape
3) 3D frag plus
4) 3D pieces to replace anything i can find that can be printed without me designing everything
5) some mushrooms
6) some zoas
7) a couple damsels
8) pre determined WC's using IO salt
9) Monthly Triton or ICP water tests

So the ask from y'all:

When the time comes, would any of you be interested in donating things printed from PLA so help out? Thinking misc figures and rock scape so i can attach coral plugs to them and see how much, on a lab tested system, we see changes in water quality?

I am going to pay for the stocking and all that. Currently testing my video editing skills as i will track this with a youtube channel and most likely a thread on here. Not asking to sell or buy anything, but prove/disprove PLA concerns on a documented course.

Why:
Well, why not? PLA has some haters and some fans who have not had issues. But its all relative as we only have our opinions. PLA prints quick and looks amazing, so having a controlled environment should be fun to see what happens. My bet, is nothing will. I have had PLA in my system for a while now without issues, but i do not test water on a triton level system.

For science I would provide some parts to it if we can get buy off from the Mods. I am hoping it would not be against TOS because it would be a awesome test to see if PLA will break down in the reef environment.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re taking them all down, even if they don’t respond to each one :)

I did present what I thought a solid case but haven't been holding my breath. I suppose not that big a push for it yet.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did present what I thought a solid case but haven't been holding my breath. I suppose not that big a push for it yet.
No, I’ve spoken about it with the mod squad and they’re actively talking about it. It’s a process. :) Took a while to get the nano tank forum too.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back