3D printed builds - lets inspire others

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For designing threads, often you can find an existing STL on thingiverse that has the thread you need, and then basically chop it out of the model and then re-use. That's what I did for my remix of the COR strainer, I found a BSPP thread print for something (was actually an openscad, so even better) and chopped off the rest of the fitting and then crammed it into the COR strainer someone else built.

I do this all the time using the McMasters-Carr library. Works well. Stupid Fusion and not putting in NPT or MIP threads. I also find by hacking in the threads from there I do not need to futz with tread tolerances like I have to do when I use Fusion.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my LED's I made something similar to that kessil thing, but did it in white PETG. Added alot of PAR under the light. (or concentrated I should say)

Printed thick enough, there is almost no side-spill out the sides, even white.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dantimdad I get an error when I try to open your message- either this morning on laptop, or on my phone (now). Did you delete it/not want the file?

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the McMasters-Carr library?

In Fusion 360 you can go under insert and there is a option of McMasters-Carr. Clicking that opens their online catalog. You can find the part you are looking for click on details and somewhere on the details page you will see a download drawing drop down box, I believe I use the SAT file type.. sorry trying to do this based off memory, I am traveling and my PC is home.

Ryan Kouns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I an making Tunze Osmulator stands with mount for apex optical sensor. Someone wanted it to have suction cup feet, and be raised higher to avoid sucking Kalk slurry.

Your wish is much command.... I present to you:

xuKlBZ3.jpg

ql81r9S.jpg

Do you have the file to print this and willing to share?

OP
OP
saintsreturn

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there any way I can get the STL for the frag stand legs?? id love to have that!

Unfortunately that is one of the few items we released to market so I cannot share that at the moment. I will keep you posted though if things change. We currently share a lot of our designs on thing a verse :D

What's the McMasters-Carr library?

I saw a good answer above, but for additional info: It is a library dedicated from their site that sells a lot of parts for things like nuts and bolts. I used to order through them to stock an entire warehouse back in the day. Thankfully this library allows all of us to pull in the design and print it so we can make useful parts without paying for metal or shipping :D

OP
OP
saintsreturn

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just something to hold up eggcrate? A square in a square? Hard to keep that “not released”....

Dont disagree and anyone can build their own anytime. I am aware of that. But when you design something from scratch and have a market for it, doesnt make a ton of sense to make it readily available. At least not in the beginning. It took time to get to where they are at now, with several tests in several tanks. Sharing is a major part of the fun and we are consistently coming up with new ideas, or replicating things we find and sharing those files. Just three things at the moment we are not sharing yet.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont disagree and anyone can build their own anytime. I am aware of that. But when you design something from scratch and have a market for it, doesnt make a ton of sense to make it readily available. At least not in the beginning. It took time to get to where they are at now, with several tests in several tanks. Sharing is a major part of the fun and we are consistently coming up with new ideas, or replicating things we find and sharing those files. Just three things at the moment we are not sharing yet.

It took a ton of time to make a square to fit into a eggcrate square? Test tanks? Testing what?

I agree with you overall, but I don’t quite follow how it could take more than 2 minutes. Even if you don’t have a caliper, internal dimensions of eggcrate are commonly available.

Draw a square. Extrude it to the height you want. Draw a smaller square. Extrude it.

I only bring this up because it feels like you are exaggerating the difficulty of modeling, which can be discouraging to people.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back