3D printed builds - lets inspire others

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I’ve spoken about it with the mod squad and they’re actively talking about it. It’s a process. :) Took a while to get the nano tank forum too.

So it's still alive! Cool!

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For designing threads, often you can find an existing STL on thingiverse that has the thread you need, and then basically chop it out of the model and then re-use. That's what I did for my remix of the COR strainer, I found a BSPP thread print for something (was actually an openscad, so even better) and chopped off the rest of the fitting and then crammed it into the COR strainer someone else built.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For designing threads, often you can find an existing STL on thingiverse that has the thread you need, and then basically chop it out of the model and then re-use. That's what I did for my remix of the COR strainer, I found a BSPP thread print for something (was actually an openscad, so even better) and chopped off the rest of the fitting and then crammed it into the COR strainer someone else built.

I decided that for me, printing an entire thread wasn’t neccesary. So just have two alignment “bumps” that thread onto the BSPP.

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a pretty cool idea for 3D printing
b51b5cfe3c30341235454cd2b2818cf2.jpg

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very cool.

I am going to start working on a diffuser for Kessil's soon. I have been asked to see if I can make it work.

Not for color blending but to reduce shadowing. Theoretically, if you are using multiples it'll help ease the crossover from light to light. May not do any good but it won't cost much to try.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very cool.

I am going to start working on a diffuser for Kessil's soon. I have been asked to see if I can make it work.

Not for color blending but to reduce shadowing. Theoretically, if you are using multiples it'll help ease the crossover from light to light. May not do any good but it won't cost much to try.

I thought about adding a diffuser, I have 5 color printing capability. Could do something opaque at the bottom. But, this is targeted more at refugiums— to reduce the light spread without putting the light too close to the water. It could also be applied to kessil a over the display though

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya know @TheHarold these prints seem simple to design, could you imagine having to make them out of metal? I used to do a fair bit of fabrication. That may have been a 5+ hour print, but, it would take almost that long out of metal and cost way more plus the machinery would be ungodly expensive.

I think people who say 3d printers are slow should go watch a good machinist for a bit. LOL!

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about adding a diffuser, I have 5 color printing capability. Could do something opaque at the bottom. But, this is targeted more at refugiums— to reduce the light spread without putting the light too close to the water. It could also be applied to kessil a over the display though

I am going to try them on mine that are on the way to the house. Care to share the .stl so I can mod it?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try them on mine that are on the way to the house. Care to share the .stl so I can mod it?

It’s legit just a tube, with same OD as kessil. Sure shoot me your email and I can send it to you— but plz just for you :). Not as STL; STL sucks to modify. You’re using fusion 360?

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy thing on that Kessil is i was just asked to make one too lol.. Not interested at the moment, but we will see later :D

That said, just ordered the Prusa.... now i get to wait 1-2 weeks and then build it. Hoping it goes well.

Too bad we don't have an unfriend button here. LOL!!!

Just kidding. Congrats on the Prusa!

OP
OP
saintsreturn

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad we don't have an unfriend button here. LOL!!!

Just kidding. Congrats on the Prusa!

hahaha! Yeah I am excited on it. Nervous too, it wasnt cheap. That said, i was tired of messing around with the other printers and am hoping this one does the job so i can order a second one.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys Fyi I gave up on the Prusa mk3 for now. My son said It did a noise dive into the print bed. Ordered a Ender 3 pro from wally-world and a 3 year warranty, I HOPE to cut our teeth on this and revisit the MK at a later date

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahaha! Yeah I am excited on it. Nervous too, it wasnt cheap. That said, i was tired of messing around with the other printers and am hoping this one does the job so i can order a second one.
Oh man that was just bad timing...I had bought the printer used/cheap and have yet to debug it. I just bought a new tank or would be going your direction. Best of luck

OP
OP
saintsreturn

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man that was just bad timing...I had bought the printer used/cheap and have yet to debug it. I just bought a new tank or would be going your direction. Best of luck

Where did you find one used and cheap at lol... i have yet to see that around here! I will be buying another in the very near future so if you give up on yours, let me know

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back