3D Printer people: HELP! Nero 5 mount needed.

Soundwave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I have a specific need and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I don't know where to source sealed magnets that will hold up long term, otherwise, I would try to make something out of ABS sheeting. I have a 60 cube with the corner overflow and my aquascape runs along the left and right side and in front of the overflow. Imagine taking a 4' aquascape run and folding it 90 degrees in the middle. I did this so I have plenty of open space for zoa islands and corals that need space on the sand bed. I used to run MP10s and found them to not provide enough flow. Switching to Neros, I have plenty. However, I have an issue where when the pump facing the overflow kicks on, I have a rush of water going into the overflow and I don't like it. I also don't like having an obstructed view any more since one of the pumps is on a viewing pane.

Enough backstory. Here's what I need. I am in desperate need of a corner mount for the Nero 5. I'd like to have my pumps facing each other still and creating the back and forth current but I'd like them mounted away from the main viewing panes and not shoving water down my overflow's throat every 30 seconds. If this makes sense, does anyone have the ability to create something for me or throw some ideas at me? Just sourcing magnets to make the mounts would be a huge plus.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!!

So are you looking for a corner mount that would essentially be a hollow triangle that you could then stick you powerhead to? If so that would be a pretty simple print. As far as the magnets, I get mine from here:

Google Plastic covered Magnets and you can find them. Hope this helps and if you need anything printed let me know as I would be more then happy to help.

OP
OP
Soundwave

Soundwave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hollow triangle is pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Small enough so the power head still stays unobtrusive.

OP
OP
Soundwave

Soundwave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dierks Do you think the 4lb or so magnets will be strong enough? I’d be using 4 for each mount. One on each inside piece that touches the glass and one outside to hold them to the tank. Just like a corner frag rack.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How thick of glass do you have? There is a calculator on the site that will tell you the strength of the magnet depending on how far apart they are.

OP
OP
Soundwave

Soundwave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it’s just a hair over 1/4”... kinda scary for a 60 cube really. It sounds like the 1”x1/4” will cut it.

OP
OP
Soundwave

Soundwave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dierks This is what I came up with as a proof of concept. I was able to pilfer magnets from a few koralia nanos that have failed over the years and they’re the perfect size and strength. The only thing I don’t like about this iteration is that the internal and external magnets are both still being used for the Nero. I’d rather have the internal magnet mounted so that just the foam pad is coming through the mount to make it less intrusive. The good thing is that it friggin works and works very well. No more rush of water down the overflow and I can turn it up beyond 40% now! Tank is in its uglies right now. Diatoms are plentiful.

BFEA2403-890A-4FAB-8D04-8008EEC05824.jpeg 9B139E6D-90DA-499A-A3A6-46697F0CD8EB.jpeg 87D3083D-9FD6-42E8-8E9B-CC5797DAA4E4.jpeg

Riggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dierks This is what I came up with as a proof of concept. I was able to pilfer magnets from a few koralia nanos that have failed over the years and they’re the perfect size and strength. The only thing I don’t like about this iteration is that the internal and external magnets are both still being used for the Nero. I’d rather have the internal magnet mounted so that just the foam pad is coming through the mount to make it less intrusive. The good thing is that it friggin works and works very well. No more rush of water down the overflow and I can turn it up beyond 40% now! Tank is in its uglies right now. Diatoms are plentiful.

BFEA2403-890A-4FAB-8D04-8008EEC05824.jpeg 9B139E6D-90DA-499A-A3A6-46697F0CD8EB.jpeg 87D3083D-9FD6-42E8-8E9B-CC5797DAA4E4.jpeg
Hi......are you still making these brackets? This is exactly what I'm after for my Nero5's......! Kind regards,

Mark Nicoletti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BFEA2403-890A-4FAB-8D04-8008EEC05824.jpeg

I'm interested in a pair of these for a Nero 7.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back