• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

3D printer sump kits and more

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I’m just gauging the interest of everyone. Of a few of these items that I’m thinking about printing. Please let me know your honest opinions. And all pieces will be printed with petg and abs filaments.
So the sump kit the drainage area is going to try and be printed as one piece so there is no mistaking lay put together wrong. But here are a few pics of what I’m thinking

anything that mounts to front or sides of tank like frag racks and such will have neo magnets and be sealed with aquarium sealant. Let me know what you all think.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure you can do it but why? Glass or acrylic are cheap and easy. 3D printing is great for some things, but I don’t think sump baffles is one of them.

OP
OP
Aggro

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’ve noticed the kits you get on amazon and eBay are how to put it. Hmmmm ya I’m just going to say they’re butt. The one I have planned to print is easy to install and be 3/4 the price. But it’s not the only thing I plan on offering.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not buy one from amazon. Never even looked at them. You can’t get a much easier material to work with than acrylic. Any glass shop will cut glas to spec as plastic shops will do with acrylic.
Like I said some things lend themselves well to 3D printing while some do not. I could be wrong you might sell a bunch of sump kits. You asked for feed back.

OP
OP
Aggro

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not buy one from amazon. Never even looked at them. You can’t get a much easier material to work with than acrylic. Any glass shop will cut glas to spec as plastic shops will do with acrylic.
Like I said some things lend themselves well to 3D printing while some do not. I could be wrong you might sell a bunch of sump kits. You asked for feed back.
no i got ya and where youre coming from i know i tried at one point to use one of those dumb kits off amazon and ya they are horrible trying to get in there to seal them. so my idea was to have a rail they slide into so it can easily be sealed onto the tank then sealed into the rails. thats kinda where i was going with it but i was just curious on something like that. but obviously i focus on frag rack test kit station and such. i do have 1 person who wants a kit and shell be my lab rat. lol. i do appreciate the feed back for sure tho.

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, to be honest depending on the material used sump kits are actually purchase more often. Purchasing a tank is easy but having the setup to function and look like a custom sump is what’s appealing; specially with color designs. Amazon and Ebay seems to be the only place you can find these that often and prices are a bit on the higher size.

I was looking into this many times even a all in one filtration system like Fiji cube offers

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%

Back