3D Printing thread

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (DIY)' started by PurpleMonster, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Rick Cavanaugh

Rick Cavanaugh Active Member

TPU to TPE? TPU was a decent printing filament. TPE... it would print, but things had to be perfect. Still don't have alot of experience with TPE and I have printed a lot of filament. I printed the InMoov Robot this year.
    www.inmoov.fr

2. morpheas

morpheas Well-Known Member

Another thing to consider is that the true temperature might not be what the thermocouple is reading or better yet what the controller is interpreting it to be. Is this a DIY kit? Custom firmware like marlin? Reason I'm asking is that if it's custom firmware the constants might be off and true temperature could be different.

Just a thought that came to mind...

3. Zephrant

Zephrant Active Member

My printer is a Monoprice i3. Thanks for the tips, I'll double-check the temps with a heat gun tonight. Glad you can get it to work with a similar printer, gives me hope.
    The firmware limts me to 230c. I can change that, but the PTFE tube is supposed to melt if I go higher.

I did buy a replacement hot end, but it's not plug and play. Either I did my research wrong, and got the wrong part, or I need some kind of an adapter to make it fit, as it won't fit or mount to the metal bracket that is stock.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GDAZZ0A

4. vinny110

vinny110 Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

cool, how much did it cost?

5. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

That's a great hot end - i run that exact same one on 6 of the Monoprice MP Minis we are running - both V1 and V2 of hte MP Mini. It works really good for printing PETG. The stock hot end couldn't handle the PETG requrments both for temp and retraction settings.

I say get it installed :)

Zephrant likes this.
  6. sbash

sbash Not Just a Potato R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

OnlyTono likes this.
  7. fsamir

fsamir Well-Known Member

Very handy. Mind sharing the stl files?

8. WesleyC

WesleyC Well-Known Member

It is still not finalized. After trying it out in the reef tank, with the strong current and the floatiness of the 3D print, I need to make the legs dig deeper. Also I'm not too satisfy on how the feeder connecting to the under-sand-base. I want to change it to a twisting base. However, once my pair of dragonets moved to the main tank, they don't even care about the feeder any more. I have way too many pods and they've been hunting non-stop and they are fat like pigs! So now I don't have much incentive to improve the feeder further. Anyway, PM me and I'll send you the current version.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  9. WesleyC

WesleyC Well-Known Member

Here is the current version:

[​IMG]

The top cover now is two pieces. You can use the 3D printed mesh filter, or sandwich it with any filtering material.

The feeder container now connects to the feeding tube without interfering the top cover.

The hooks that hook onto the feeder and the under-sand-base is a plug that you print separately. That is the part that I'm not too happy about.

The legs are all separate as well. They are fiction fitted.

10. Engloid

Engloid Well-Known Member VRJ Member

I made a similar thing a year or so ago. I took several pieces of eggcrate, stacked them and tied with zip ties. My goal was to stop so much swirling and allow a steady vertical rise. I'm interested in hearing if that was your goal and how it's working? I also wonder if those holes are clogging up.

11. laverda

laverda Well-Known Member SCMAS Member

Interesting idea. What skimmer are you using it on? Would you share your file on it? I want to try something a little different, but think it might make a good starting point.

Draft saved Draft deleted