Get any part you need, right here!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (DIY)' started by sbash, Aug 24, 2017.

?
  1. I am interested in a 3D printing/reefing forum

47 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. I own a 3D printer

16 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. I own a 3D printer and will print parts for people (free or fee)

10 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. I can design 3D parts for people

11 vote(s)
    13.8%
  5. I am interested in having parts made for me

24 vote(s)
    30.0%
  6. I am generally interested in 3D printing

52 vote(s)
    65.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sbash

sbash Not Just a Potato R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

3D printing is nothing new to the hobby, however, I do not feel it is getting the traction it should. That said, as seen here: https://www.reef2reef.com/search/2447484/?q=3d+printing&o=relevance, there is a [​IMG]good amount of discussion and ideas. Including, 3d printed live rock, filter sock replacements, mounts, frag carriers, the list goes on! The focus of this posting is to poll the R2R users to get our own 3D Printing forum and a central place to discuss such things.

Information on 3D printing is not in short supply. There are also many companies that offer design and printing services, but there seems to be very little in the way of reefing communities [​IMG] supporting each other in 3D printing efforts. To jump-start things, I have created a ThingiVerse collection specifically for Reef2Reef (https://www.thingiverse.com/sbash/collections/reef2reef). Please PM me if you want anything added to it. The collection includes a fully printable skimmer, overflow box, pump and airline fittings, and more!

Admittedly, 3D printing is not as developed as I would like, however, if you are new to 3D printing, the process is quite simple. First, the part needs to be measured and designed[​IMG] in a 3D design program (Sketchup, Solidworks, Autocad, etc). Depending on the part, there could be some meticulous measuring invovled as part of the design process. Next, the design needs to be converted into something the printer can read (we call this 'slicing'). On more advanced printers, this can be done on the printer itself. On more hobby-grade printers there is a pre-processing step to slice the design into machine code which the printer can read (and thusly, print).

This is where community support and discussion comes in. Due to the steps invovled, and potentially the varying expertise required, we can work together to break further[​IMG] ground with 3D printing and reefing. It will give us a place to request designs and parts, help with printing problems, discussing new ideas and so on. So, take a quick look at the Thingiverse link above and get inspired!

All the pictures are from my own personal printing adventures. The full light mount for a 5.5 gallon tank and ATO float mount are part of my various systems. I also have many other 3D printer parts, including a convenient cup holder (as seen below), various mounts and spacers, other ATO designs, part of my DIY auto feeder, and so on.

[​IMG]

Juan Fontana, fsamir, billw and 2 others like this.
    Tags:

2. TheLadyCrash

TheLadyCrash Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Great write up. My husband and I are just getting into 3D printing. I've got a lot of ideas in mind that I just need to find the time to wok on!

3. Shep

Shep Acan Connoisseur Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award

You know, if we got enough people who were interested in 3D printing I am sure we could get a sub forum for it made on here!

Ergodyne, lmm1967 and Amoo like this.
  4. Amoo

Amoo The Moo Daddy R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Yes please make this happen. It may even be a great main forum under the Equipment discussion if we can combine it with a few other newer technologies 3D Printing, CNC and other reefing related technologies

billw likes this.
  5. sbash

You got it, Rev needs to be able to gauge interest!!! Hence the poll!

;)

But we need a lot more traction on this subject to get a subforum!!! Spread the word!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  6. Shep

Shep Acan Connoisseur Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award

You get the traction and I will see what Rev thinks!

7. TheLadyCrash

TheLadyCrash Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Im down for a sub-forum

billw and sbash like this.
  8. Fishhands

Fishhands Well-Known Member

I dont have a 3d printer so could anyone make a top i could put a sceen in with a bow front for a nano cube?

9. sbash

Did you vote for the forum??? ;Bored

lol, I can help you design the part, but unless you are in Ontario, Canada, I doubt it would make sense to print it for you... However, there are two others who claim to have a printer ;)

PM me the details of your tank and I will help you come up with a solution!

10. TheLadyCrash

I'm one of those 3D printer owners. Hubs is in the process of moving it and building an enclosure for it so it's down for a few days. My concern about printing a top would be the dimensions and ensuring it would fit on the print bed. What are the diameters roughly?

11. sbash

Yes, that and there are already simple and cheap tops (framing) to use. So there is really no point in a whole frame. However, clips, stands or bushings for the framing to fit perfectly on the top of the tank. That said, I do not really understand the whole scope of what is being requested. @Fishhands, can you elaborate on your request please?

12. Pife

Pife Well-Known Member

He has a bowfront tank and wants a screen top. I think the issue is the bow front.

13. Mrx7899

Mrx7899 Well-Known Member

3D printing sub forum would be sweet I have printed a couple things for my tank.

14. sbash

Ah... I can think of a few ways to accomplish this... But I would need precise details of the tank dimensions (hint hint @Fishhands, lol)... Sounds like an neat challenge :)

15. sbash

Nice! Can you post some pictures of what you printed?

16. Fishhands

Fishhands Well-Known Member

The lid would be for my small nano cube. It does have a bow front. I've been in touch with octo aquatics. They would make an acrylic lid. The attached pic is from one they've done on a larger cube with the bowfront glass. images (2).jpg

17. sbash

Do you have a bigger picture than that? I cannot tell what is what :)

Like I said, there are several approaches to something like this. However, they do require precise measurements. Do you have the specs for the tank with dimensions? If not, you will need to take them yourself. We will need the thickness of the glass (or acrylic), length and width, and centre width (of the bow). Let us start there :)

18. Zephrant

Zephrant Active Member

I have a buddy that recently started a 3D printing business, and is looking for jobs to print. He's a long time reefer, so is likely to understand what you are looking for if you need printing services.
    https://www.treatstock.com/3d-printing-services/another-diy-guys-printing

Depending on the project, I may be able to help design or print prototypes as well. I have a lot of my own projects going on, but if you are working on something I want to do too, I'd like to help.
    Drop me a PM if interested.

Also interested in trading 3D design skills for someone to re-make a cover band website for me. If you are a master in Wordpress and need some 3D design or printing done, please contact me. Willing to trade time/materials, as I'd rather 3D design than mess with my failing website yet again.

sbash likes this.
  19. sbash

Here is a neat 3D printed auto feeder. I designed something similar and have been using it for a couple years now with 1mm pellets. However, I found I had to mount it about 18" above the water so the food will break the surface tension.

If anyone want more particulars on building something like this, just let me know!

20. Zephrant

Zephrant Active Member

Very neat. Looks like it would feed very fast, did you have any problem getting it adjusted to feed the amount you wanted?

Any problems with the lid at the end getting hung up? I was thinking that you could put a weight on it to help hold it closed, or even a magnet with an opposite pole magnet on the auger, offset from center. When the auger turns, it would release the door for 3/4 of the rotation, then snap it back closed and hold it when the magnet came around again. Setup you controller to only rotate 360 degree turns, and you'd be set.

My feeders have always gummed up eventually, due to moisture in the air.

Draft saved Draft deleted