Get any part you need, right here!

Where do you stand with 3D printing?

• I am interested in a 3D printing/reefing forum

Votes: 154 59.0%
  • I own a 3D printer

Votes: 79 30.3%
  • I own a 3D printer and will print parts for people (free or fee)

Votes: 47 18.0%
  • I can design 3D parts for people

Votes: 32 12.3%
  • I am interested in having parts made for me

Votes: 67 25.7%
  • I am generally interested in 3D printing

Votes: 116 44.4%

• Total voters
OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very neat. Looks like it would feed very fast, did you have any problem getting it adjusted to feed the amount you wanted?

Any problems with the lid at the end getting hung up? I was thinking that you could put a weight on it to help hold it closed, or even a magnet with an opposite pole magnet on the auger, offset from center. When the auger turns, it would release the door for 3/4 of the rotation, then snap it back closed and hold it when the magnet came around again. Setup you controller to only rotate 360 degree turns, and you'd be set.

My feeders have always gummed up eventually, due to moisture in the air.

Below is what mine looks like. As you can see, I used acrylic tubing and an acrylic shelf to mount everything, and really streamlined the design. I get about two months of feeding with the top, vertical tube filled (12 fish, most are around 2", like a chromis and a damsel).

Initially, I programmed the adruino at a fixed rate of feeding every day. This worked well, but ended up being way too much food. So I adjusted the program and that helped a bit, but then I wanted to feed less, multiple times a day. So instead of having to constantly compile the adriuno code when ever I wanted to adjust the feeding amount, I build a serial protocol so I could control the feed from a computer (a Raspberry Pi in my case). So I send the command 'feed1' for about 20 pellets, or 'feed2' for 30 and so on, (up to 9, which is way way too much food, lol). This also allows me to get feedback (emailed updates) to ensure the feed command is at least running.

However, this is still a bit unstable if something disrupts the power (i.e. brownouts cause the arduino to reboot), then the serial connection drops and the feeding stops. So I have to manually re-establish the connection. Granted this only happens every few months, it is still a pain. The tank went for several weeks (not sure how much exactly, but long enough that my foxface started to slim down a bit) without the feeding running last spring. So, obviously that is unacceptable. My plan is to move the servo over to the raspberry pi (the pi controls a webcam on the tank and I have a few sensors to add to it anyway) and remove the adruino from the equation.

That said, once the arduino code is refined and if you never need to adjust it, it is a rock solid way to run a feeder like this. Otherwise, you could put a door on the output to regulate/adjust the feed. Assuming you use pellets; flakes would jam it up for sure.

feeder.jpg

Lastly, my auger has a longer pitch (more rotations), which (theoretically) allows for a more precise movement of the food.

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Met a guy a year or two back running a booth at a coral show in Kansas City.

https://printedreefingsolutions.com/

He had some very cool printed reef related items. I've since ordered several products from him, including a few custom bits and pieces to fill a specific need I had. I've been _very_ pleased with the results.

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My light mount is on Thingiverse here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2524145

A new version of the feeder is still work in progress. It is going through a few real world testing. Getting approval from my dragonet. :)

DragonetEating.jpg

The new design is more simple on the top part for easier cleaning. The lower part now has removable under-sand legs to fit into different rock work surrounding.

Feeder2.jpg

OnlyTono

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a 3D printing business creating aquarium parts and it's been quite successful - in fact we'll be at the upcoming reef-a-palooza show (booth #108). I think a 3D printing Sub-forum is a great idea. I would participate :)

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a 3D printing business creating aquarium parts and it's been quite successful - in fact we'll be at the upcoming reef-a-palooza show (booth #108). I think a 3D printing Sub-forum is a great idea. I would participate :)

Awesome, thanks for the support! I hope you voted!

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My light mount is on Thingiverse here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2524145

A new version of the feeder is still work in progress. It is going through a few real world testing. Getting approval from my dragonet. :)

e new design is more simple on the top part for easier cleaning. The lower part now has removable under-sand legs to fit into different rock work surrounding.

Looks awesome! let me know when you publish it, I will add it in :)

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inspired by another thread about a commercial product. I started designing a nori feeder:

norifeeder3d.jpg

My glass is too thick for magnets, so I use suction cups. I still need to build the 'cap' which will just be a sliding piece of plastic. Basically, the theory behind the product is to just roll the nori up and put it in.

This is just a proof-of-concept diagram. This may not actually work very well, as the feeding holes will not be nice an smooth (straight off the printer). So, if I use PETG, I will have to smooth the edges with a soldiering iron or something. BUT, if I use ABS, I may just need to use acetone to smooth it out... More to follow!

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A forum would be a great spot to accumulate data on different filaments when used in the saltwater environment. I'm sure @Randy Holmes-Farley would be happy to add his expertise to such a database.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Ultamaker 2+ and would be glad to make parts if you have the files you want printed. I have not had much luck creating or modifying existing files for printing yet. So I could use some help with that.

Is there a way we can list who has:
3D design ability and the software they use.
3D printer and the materials they print if willing to print for others.
Other tools or skills they would be willing to make parts with. (Laser cutter, routers, CNC...).
I suggest the last item as there are some interesting 3D printed parts, some designs are better suited being made other ways.

As I said I have an Ultamaker 2+ and have printed a couple dozen parts in PLA with good results. Some of the things I have printed are an Apex display holder, clips to keep wires held in place, offset funnels custom sized funnels, corners for aquarium top screen, assorted work shop tools and tool holders.

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Sketchup to design stuff. It is super easy to use. Everyone should try to learn it.

I mostly print in ABS since it's harder and higher temperature tolerance. One summer I made an adapter connecting a washer hoses to a shower pipe to get some hot water for an inflatable swimming pool. :) I'm pretty sure such adaptor doesn't exist.

HoseAdapto720r.jpg

I often create stuff when I have something in mind. Some simple stuff like a pre-filter before water going into a DIY denitrator.

pre-filter-3d.jpg

pre-filter.jpg

And then I thought about having a dozer connecting directly to it. So, I made a plastic tube compression connector for it.

hostconnect.jpg

One night, I was making a tank cover using windows frame, but ran out of windows corner. So, I made one. :)

FrameCorner.jpg

If you can think it, you can make it. :D

Everyone! Start drawing! :)

draw1.jpg

draw2.jpg

Last edited:

sh4rkbyt3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we just printed a 3d reef tank then we'd never have to worry about how it looks or cyano or dino's ;), and no maintenance.

spinycheek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You make some cool stuff! I also sell a lot of 3D printed reef products and think it's becoming much more accepted as a manufacturing process.

OnlyTono

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make some cool stuff! I also sell a lot of 3D printed reef products and think it's becoming much more accepted as a manufacturing process.
thanks. I would have to agree with you about 3D printed parts being more acceptable. I think if they are printed well, and the parts are reasonably durable, most people have no issues with accepting the fact that the part is 3D printed. In fact, I find that most people kind of like the idea that the parts are 3D printed.

Magick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently researching 3D printers. What printers have you found to be reliable and easy to use?

spinycheek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently researching 3D printers. What printers have you found to be reliable and easy to use?

I love my Lulzbot. It's definitely on the pricier side, but it has a huge range of material options because of it's wide temperature range and swappable print heads for specialty stuff like flexible filaments, dual printing, double printing etc. Also it's easily serviceable because it's all open source.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back