3D Printing thread

me & my baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just started with 3d printing I am using the tevo black widow . Besides thingiverse are they any good places to find files for our hobby

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct on the size- I made my first one 52mm, and that fit some of my 1" bulkheads, but not others. Oddly, it was a perfect fit for a 3/4" bulkhead too. I opened it up to 53mm, and it is working fine. But it's a parametric model, so I can change one dim and re-print to get another size.
Is the file you linked 52mm? I will have to measure my bulkheads as I plan to make some changes soon and I think you tool will work better then the one I made out of pvc pipe.
I had not heard the term parametric model before. Sounds like it could be handy. What design software fo you use? I have tried to fo a few 3d designs in sketch up with out very good results so far.

Zephrant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the one I posted on Thingiverse is 52mm. Parametric means formula driven. The solid is built off of a sketch, that has dimensions on it. I can change the dimension and the sketch changes, which makes the solid re-calculate to match the sketch. Used to be only Pro-E, Unigraphics and other very high end tools had that capability, but Fusion 360 and some other tools now make it free for the hobbyist.

Definitely watch some videos on Fusion 360, and do the tutorials. You'll save a ton of frustration!

If you need a different size, let me know and I'll re-generate it and send you a STL file.

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BETTER MOUNTS FOR CURRENT USA ORBIT IC LED LIGHTS
orbit ic tank mount.PNG
imageproxy.jpg

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice- Lots of curves, did you need to use support on the print job?
Yes, it did in between the legs. I designed the mounts in CAD and exported it out to an STL file that my brother-in-law used to load into his printer.

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely watch some videos on Fusion 360, and do the tutorials. You'll save a ton of frustration!
Videos that I found extremely useful:
Search in google
"Fusion 360 Tutorial for Absolute Beginners" 3 parts by Lars Christensen

And

"Learn Fusion 360 or Die Trying LESSON 1: Introduction tutorial for Absolute Beginners" a series totaling 13 videos by Paul McWorter

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I draw in SolidWorks for work, so I get to use it for personal projects as well, lol.

me & my baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone made a needle and a volute for a jebao I saw a guy on thingiverse for the needle wheel and then I saw another guy selling a grid wheel on . I just didn’t like the thingiver needle wheel and couldn’t find a volute for it

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the market for a printer. Anyone have for sale?
There are some good deal on craigs list. If you know what your want in a printer, you should be able to find one, You just have to be patient. It took me 2 months or so to find one to meat my needs. I found my Ultimaker 2+ there in perfect condition with a bunch of spools of PLA for less than half of new.

Zephrant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drying filament

I had some issues that I thought might be due to damp filament. I measured the RH by the printer at 45-50%, at 60 F, so high enough to cause problems. After some online research, I decide I really wanted one of the PrintDry setups (http://www.printdry.com/) but they are out of stock/not shipping, and a bit expensive.

So I setup my own.
Food dryer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H2OENC
Waterproof bins: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MWTJXHS
Desiccant: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725LNZ24
And some mesh bags I already had on hand.

Using the router table and a flush trim bit, I cut the center out of two sections of the dryer trays. It ships with six trays, so I could dry two or three spools at once, but I figured that keeping four trays intact for other uses might be a better plan.

dryer-1.jpg

Pour the desiccant in to the mesh bags, and put in the bins. Dry the filament and place it in the bins, and clamp down the lids.

dryer-2.jpg

For now, I'm not going to set it up to spool the filament out of the dryer, although that is an option if needed.

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drying filament

I had some issues that I thought might be due to damp filament. I measured the RH by the printer at 45-50%, at 60 F, so high enough to cause problems. After some online research, I decide I really wanted one of the PrintDry setups (http://www.printdry.com/) but they are out of stock/not shipping, and a bit expensive.

So I setup my own.
Food dryer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H2OENC
Waterproof bins: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MWTJXHS
Desiccant: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725LNZ24
And some mesh bags I already had on hand.

Using the router table and a flush trim bit, I cut the center out of two sections of the dryer trays. It ships with six trays, so I could dry two or three spools at once, but I figured that keeping four trays intact for other uses might be a better plan.

dryer-1.jpg

Pour the desiccant in to the mesh bags, and put in the bins. Dry the filament and place it in the bins, and clamp down the lids.

dryer-2.jpg

For now, I'm not going to set it up to spool the filament out of the dryer, although that is an option if needed.
Add an axle, some bushings and some Teflon tubing and you should be able to print with filament right from the box! :D

Zephrant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very neat- Not sure how it gets it to focus that close though. My phone needs to be about 2" away to focus. There does not appear to be a lens in it, just a printed slide holder.

Torx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very neat- Not sure how it gets it to focus that close though. My phone needs to be about 2" away to focus. There does not appear to be a lens in it, just a printed slide holder.

The mobile phone microscope design consists of a 1x magnification imaging system that is created by placing a mobile phone camera lens (exterior to the mobile phone) in front of the mobile phone’s existing internal mobile phone camera module. You need the printed item and a separate mobile phone lens to create the microscope.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-21543-2

41598_2018_21543_Fig2_HTML.jpg

Mobile phone microscope assembly process. (a) Insert mobile phone camera lens (objective lens) into microscope clip as shown. Make sure that the side of the lens assembly that originally faced the image sensor now faces the sample (faces away from the camera). Scale bar approx. 1mm for (ad). (b) Push objective lens further into the clip until it fits into the recess. (c) Gently push the objective lens assembly into the recess. This can be done with tweezers or by hand. The white boxed region shows the objective lens assembly sitting in the friction-fit recess. (d) Gently squeeze microscope clip so that the opposite sides of the slide holder come into contact. This pushes the objective lens assembly into its final position in the microscope clip recess. (e) Insert sample slide and attach the clip to an iPhone 6s as shown. The objective lens fits directly over the iPhone back camera. Open the iPhone camera app (or other 3rd party camera app), switch to video mode and activate the flash to view the sample in brightfield mode. In this example, the sample is Lilium ovary (Southern Biological). Exposure time: 1/4808s, ISO 25. (f) Brightfield image of Lilium ovary using “Photo” mode with flash. Scale bar is 1mm. Inset: Magnified image of boxed region. Scale bar is 50 μm.

Torx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally love my 3d printer. I make brick holders for any power brick I own. I designed and printed my own MPQD controller holders. I have my own Reeflink simple holder on the printer now. I also do my own Loc-Line and a bunch of stuff for the family. Kids characters, replace broken clips, PS3 controller stands...just about anything.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back