3D Printing thread

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a mount for the new versa quad pack, I wanted to mount it under the cross beam that makes up the back of the tank stand. By doing so, I would have covered the buttons on top of the base station.

aQLgi9cl.jpg

KEW2UCMl.jpg

0yUYkuNl.jpg

W3M2w1cl.jpg

89e07V2l.jpg

Hbe912Xl.jpg

v5SF1k2l.jpg

Jk3YhOtl.jpg

FPa1LAfl.jpg

3L3G2Ful.jpg

BLFCaFzl.jpg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i wanted to make a rollermat filter, what 3d printer is good for that?

Also im a beginner with zero experience.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Depends on budget and how much time you're willing to put in. Ender 3 works well, providing your willing to do a few mods and accept "pretty good" print quality. Prusa MK3s is the premium option.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on budget and how much time you're willing to put in. Ender 3 works well, providing your willing to do a few mods and accept "pretty good" print quality. Prusa MK3s is the premium option.
Whats the print size for the ender 3? I dont mind pretty good. What program for drawing stuff do i need to use?

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search "Ender 3" and you should find many listings with size.

I use Fusion 360. Tinkercad is simpler.
Thanks i see. About 8 inches. Not very big. Do i need a laptop or desktop or just use your phone?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks i see. About 8 inches. Not very big. Do i need a laptop or desktop or just use your phone?

For 3D modeling, slicing the files into a printer format, etc, you will definitely need more than a phone.

Just so you know, just printing something that uses the ender 3 8x8x8 bed size will take days. Printing is a slow process. No matter the FDM printer.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on what you're planning to do with your rollermat, I would suggest you purchase one of the commercially available ones and modify it to suit your needs. That's what I did with one of the bubble magus arf-1's.

70A5228A-3C72-463D-A373-90CCBB189737.jpeg
I was looking at the bubble magnus. What did you modify? How do u like it?

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I included a photo in the post, but all i used from it were the two spindles, the motor, and the float switch. the rest was 3d printed. works fantastic
I thought it was a different model! Didnt realise it was 3d printed. Nice!

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am not sure a 3D printer is really needed for one. Acrylic is very easy to work with and might be a better choice for a rollermat filter.

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm not very familiar with 3D printing and it's limitations, but I am wondering if someone would be willing to drum a pair of pulleys for me. I cannot find the what I really want online anywhere.

Looking for a 3" OD, 2" pitch diameter with a shaft on one side. All of which I think would be easy. (and i can be flexible on these dimensions)
The tricky part might be that I need tapped holes (2) on the shaft for set screws.

If anyone is interested, feel free to hit me up. Willing to pay of course.

Cheers,
C

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you with an Ender 3. I'd recommend a spring steel bed with PEI coating over a glass bed. Much easier to get prints to stick to and come off of.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm not very familiar with 3D printing and it's limitations, but I am wondering if someone would be willing to drum a pair of pulleys for me. I cannot find the what I really want online anywhere.

Looking for a 3" OD, 2" pitch diameter with a shaft on one side. All of which I think would be easy. (and i can be flexible on these dimensions)
The tricky part might be that I need tapped holes (2) on the shaft for set screws.

If anyone is interested, feel free to hit me up. Willing to pay of course.

Cheers,
C

If you draw it out for me, that seems simple enough to make :). Just a side view with some dimensions.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you draw it out for me, that seems simple enough to make :). Just a side view with some dimensions.
I was thinking the same thing.... I couldn't visualize it... Funny, I thought that printing threads would be hard, but it does such a good job all you have to do is run a tap through them to clean em up.

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same thing.... I couldn't visualize it... Funny, I thought that printing threads would be hard, but it does such a good job all you have to do is run a tap through them to clean em up.

Hey Guys, sorry for the slow response, I wasn't getting notifications on this thread for some reason.
Here is what I am looking at. Most of these dimensions can be modified to make life easier on your side if needed.

The only two things I can change are the inside shaft diameter (has to fit the shaft of the motor I have) and the shaft length can be not shorter than specified (again to maintain clearance give the motor in hand).

Looking forward to your thoughts.
NewSPec.PNG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back