3D Printing thread

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ender 3 is a great place to start.

My print farm is just ender 3 printers now. I ended up selling the D-Bot I built and bought two ender 3 and modified them for my needs.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What would you guys suggest as "must have" day upgrades for the Ender? Did some googling and there are a ton of stuff out there....like a Barbie doll of printers.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like this is happening as the wife told me not to buy it (knock knock... Wink wink) .... Guessing it's coming next week (or this weekend) for my bday haha.

Went on Amazon and grabbed a roll a spool of PLA filament as I'm guessing I will waste a good bit. Also grabbed a kit with a capricorn bowden tube, metal extruder, and new bed springs.

Let the madness begin.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you guys suggest as "must have" day upgrades for the Ender? Did some googling and there are a ton of stuff out there....like a Barbie doll of printers.

my list would be:

glass print bed
upgraded bed leveling springs
aluminum extruder
spool holder https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3020026
filament guide https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3052488
ptfe clips https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2994683

then after that probably upgrade PTFE bowden tubing and connectors.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, my experience with a clone just meant I was endlessly upgrading it to (be safe) among other things. By the time I was finished, while it did print very well there was constant fiddling needed, and I spent near just as much as something like a Prusa. Add on to it all the hours sunk into upgrading and troubleshooting, failed prints, etc.

I'm still amazed that I can let my MK3S sit for a month, clean the bed off and start a print and poof, it just works

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately, my experience with a clone just meant I was endlessly upgrading it to (be safe) among other things. By the time I was finished, while it did print very well there was constant fiddling needed, and I spent near just as much as something like a Prusa. Add on to it all the hours sunk into upgrading and troubleshooting, failed prints, etc.

I'm still amazed that I can let my MK3S sit for a month, clean the bed off and start a print and poof, it just works

Unfortunately that's just not in the cards for me at this time. From what I've seen and read many have great success with the Enders. But yeah, some do a bit overboard with upgrades. For me, not looking to do anything crazy and complex, this is just to get my feet wet.

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing I would upgrade is the extruder mount, get an aluminum one. I think it's $17 on Amazon.

You can definitely get more as you go and some of them you can print but that's the first must have.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The first thing I would upgrade is the extruder mount, get an aluminum one. I think it's $17 on Amazon.

You can definitely get more as you go and some of them you can print but that's the first must have.

Yeah got the capricorn bowden tube, metal extruder, and bed springs. Should get me started.

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3d printed my guardian from Destiny 2.

3.5 inches tall
Polish_20200229_121205061.jpg

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also got my ender put together, seems they made some upgrades:

20200301_101854.jpg

20200301_101859.jpg

Silicone boot on the hot end and the extruder has a brass fitting inside so it doesn't wear out... But I have the aluminum extruder so going to replace anyway. Also have the yellow bed springs to install. Did the Capricorn bowden tube.

Right now printing the filament guide arm. Had some adhesion issues, but after some bed adjustments it did OK. Seems there's a Dip towards the middle of the bed, with 4 corners adjusted there's still a bigger gap at the center so I had to tighten down the corners some more. Think I'll be getting a glass bed.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, I've printed a couple of pieces so far which have come out great, until this little guy.

So I tried to print this little guy, ribbon cable clip for LCD cable https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2880021 All was good until it got to this overhang, at which point, looks like it had problems with layer adhesion.

Is this something that requires Cura djustment or does it need to be printed with supports? I'm using standard cura profile.

20200302_115931.jpg

20200302_115941.jpg

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you print using any supports? I don’t use cura but it should allow you to select auto generated supports which should fix the issue.

So, I've printed a couple of pieces so far which have come out great, until this little guy.

So I tried to print this little guy, ribbon cable clip for LCD cable https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2880021 All was good until it got to this overhang, at which point, looks like it had problems with layer adhesion.

Is this something that requires Cura djustment or does it need to be printed with supports? I'm using standard cura profile.

20200302_115931.jpg

20200302_115941.jpg

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Forget supports print it on its side. Try to avoid overhangs when possible.

Thats what I ended up doing bust was wondering what was heppening to the print. Learned all kinds of things about overhangs today. Wife demands baby yoda....easier said than done, haha.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My ender definitely has a dip in the middle of the bed, so glass looks to be closer in my future in my future than I thought.

Also installed the SKR mini e3... Wow, so much quieter, but now all I hear are fans haha. Still need to configure all the SKR Marlin 2.0.x goodies but that's for a later day. Cura settings still blowing my mind, feel like I need to hit up a community college night class for 3d printing and 3d design.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back