3rd times the charm. My 230 G ELOS reboot

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, curious about Korallenwelt. Did you mold that yourself or do they make it for you?

OP
OP
alin2

alin2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, curious about Korallenwelt. Did you mold that yourself or do they make it for you?

The Korallenwelt is pre-made in various structures like the back plates, self standing reefs (4 legs), and "rocks." We used their "mortar" to fill in the gaps between the panels.

I found google translate on Chrome really useful to view their website:

http://www.korallenwelt.de/Korallenwelt.html

He also has YouTube videos:

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Really interested on your comments on the Aurora light. I have had in the past a couple of Teszla S led fixtures which I believe is what Giesemann is using in the Aurora. However, in the website they state that from the factory the Aurora comes equipped as standard with the same led assortment as the Futura, but could be fitted with the Teszla as an option...? Anyway, keen to here your thoughts as I am leaning to this one for my future build.

OP
OP
alin2

alin2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I've been so busy at work and with kid stuff, I haven't had a chance to make an update.

However, all the main display systems are functional. The fish QT and coral QT systems are running.

Getting ready to dose Dr. Tim's One and Only this weekend and start the fish-less cycling! Hopefully fish in the QT next week.

OP
OP
alin2

alin2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...as with anything this tech intensive and complicated, there has to be snafus.

I was working in the fish room last night when the Giesemann Aurora suddenly went dark. Checked the surge protector it's plugged into: power/protection is on. Plugged it directly into the outlet: nothing. Unplugged it for 15-20' and plugged it back in? nothing. Tried to connect via Bluetooth to the fixture: nothing on 2 different computers.

SIGH.

3 years into the process of the new tank, a previous flood, multiple family issues getting in the way of the reboot: all overcome. And, now a dead light fixture.

I've contacted Coralvue.

Let's hope they and Giesemann stand behind their incredibly expensive but amazing light fixture...when it's working.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that.

Hey, I have been looking into a Korallenwelt back wall- my main concern is that I wanted to put some vortecs on that back wall (it will be a peninsula) and ceramic structure seems like it will make that impossible. How does your Abyzz deal work?

OP
OP
alin2

alin2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that.

Hey, I have been looking into a Korallenwelt back wall- my main concern is that I wanted to put some vortecs on that back wall (it will be a peninsula) and ceramic structure seems like it will make that impossible. How does your Abyzz deal work?

Actually, I put a WAV in the back plate. It's easy to cut out a space to mount a magnet mounted powerhead.

You can see it on the left side of the back wall.

56734586-9A18-4484-B392-61EB75AC0ABC_zpslglzt94i.jpg

The Abyzz works great. The 2 WAVs are almost overkill.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I was thinking the ceramic would be impossible to cut. So the Abyzz is a vertically mounted pump that sucks from below and sends a stream out horizontally?

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...as with anything this tech intensive and complicated, there has to be snafus.

I was working in the fish room last night when the Giesemann Aurora suddenly went dark. Checked the surge protector it's plugged into: power/protection is on. Plugged it directly into the outlet: nothing. Unplugged it for 15-20' and plugged it back in? nothing. Tried to connect via Bluetooth to the fixture: nothing on 2 different computers.

SIGH.

3 years into the process of the new tank, a previous flood, multiple family issues getting in the way of the reboot: all overcome. And, now a dead light fixture.

I've contacted Coralvue.

Let's hope they and Giesemann stand behind their incredibly expensive but amazing light fixture...when it's working.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully Coralvue will work it out!

OP
OP
alin2

alin2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I was thinking the ceramic would be impossible to cut. So the Abyzz is a vertically mounted pump that sucks from below and sends a stream out horizontally?

It's easy to cut. Just incredibly dusty.

Yes, the Abyzz is mounted vertically in a "tube" made into the back plate. It's the orange cord (which raises the issue, why orange of all colors) going into the back wall.

WilRams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I missed this but does that panel get sealed off to the back? Same with the hole cut into it for the WAV? Just curious if stagnant water became an issue or not back there.

OP
OP
alin2

alin2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I missed this but does that panel get sealed off to the back? Same with the hole cut into it for the WAV? Just curious if stagnant water became an issue or not back there.

The panel is up against the back with the hole cut in it so that the magnet mount of the WAV fits. The tube for the Abyzz is self contained. There are enough small openings in the back panels that there is not really any stagnant water in behind the panels.

OP
OP
alin2

alin2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos to Coralvue and Giesemann customer service!

Coralvue immediately contacted Germany and Giesemann is shipping out a new unit. I will then return the defective fixture to Coralvue in LA.

Thanks again for a quick, painless, and complete resolution to what was a stressful and upsetting situation. Electronic things break...I get that. It's the after sales customer service thetas critical in these situations.

Hopefully the electronic glitch is a one off event...

OP
OP
alin2

alin2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update:

1. The replacement Giesemann Aurora seems to be working well.

2. I'm cycling the fish QT and display tank with ammonium chloride and Dr. Tim's One and Only. Thus far, I'm underwhelmed. My fish QT has been stuck on nitrite now for >7 days. My display tank has been >0.1 NH3 now for 7 days.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back