3rd Try at Quarantining Lineatus Wrasse:

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone has a DT wipeout after QTing fish, it would likely be due to not properly QTing corals, inverts, CUC, macro algae etc. Before adding them to the tank.

Can SOME fish live in ich management, why yes of course, but is this any more ethical or natural than maintaining a disease free DT? I know it's a controversial topic. I just don't see the point in taking a chance with how rampant things like velvet, uronema, and of late gram negative bacteria have become in this industry. Of course this will depend on the type of fish you desire to keep as well. I don't see too many people keeping Acanthurus tangs with much success in an "immunity" or ich management tank as I like to call it.

I have a small Achilles in my "ich management" tank doing amazing with zero spots now for probably a month... is ich present? I have no idea, but after ich and/or velvet wiped out half my tank a couple years ago the only thing I've changed is run a UV every so often. I ran it for the first week to 2 weeks straight when I first received the Achilles.

I totally agree with your first point about QTing of everything.. I swear ich once entered my tank from added CUC back in the day. It can be attached to just about anything.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty solid plan, ever have issues with GC while treating copper?

Gram negative bacterial infections are a nightmare... Just dropped a ton of cash on Nitrofuracin Green for next time I experience one of those.

I haven't had issues with bacterial blooms or anything like that. It is hard on the fish, alot of meds to put on them all at once if they are in therapeutic copper, so only do so if absolutely necessary.

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the Lineatus and 2 potter wrasse: I stopped adding copper yesterday. All seems to be acting normal and still eating well. I will start adding copper again today (at the rate I am on it's going to take me 2wks to get to 1.75ppm: I am ok with that)
Slow and steady wins the race!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reply was not meant to be a snark at anyone. I write what I believe in. If you take it the wrong way so be it. The tangs were treated and fully quarantined (30 day of cupramine). Was it just coincident that upon introducing the flame angel, every one in the DT developed symptoms? maybe. But if I had fully quarantined the flame angel, I believe I'll still have them today. Looking back, if I couldn't treat the flame angel with copper, i should have gone the TTM or hyposalinity method. For ME, quarantine and prophylactic treatment is a must.
For the record, I’ve treated dozens flame angels in copper successfully and highly recommend this over TTM — they ARE sensitive to ammonia and low oxygen which is common in uncycled QT tanks without BioSpira or Dr Tim’s added, and I think this is where that rumor came from. I’ve found centropyge to respond quite well to copper. :)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow and steady wins the race!
Yup @HotRocks and I increase copper slowly with wrasse with mostly great results. Except with leopards —- many are dead within 48 hours without any copper. We hypothesize that the lights off is what worked so well for me in the past and acknowledge that the distribution system is tougher on them now. Lights off for the first week by and large seems to have helped, @HotRocks even has two choates and a melagris thriving in copper at the moment and all that was changed was the lights off, and perfectly matching salinity to what they arrived in.

OP
OP
T

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Finally got to therapeutic level with copper power. Took about 10 days. Lineatus and potters doing well and still eating. Plan is to raise it up to 1.75ppm and maintain it. Weekly 20% water change with 1.75ppm copper. Will check copper level daily to make sure it stays around 1.75ppm.

IMG_5236.JPG

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear it's going well. Tricky fish, and Wrasse can just be a downright pain in QT.

OP
OP
T

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update: Lineatus and the 2 potter wrasses are doing well. Tomorrow marks 30 days of copper at therapeutic level. Will start to lower copper and start GC in a few days.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update: Lineatus and the 2 potter wrasses are doing well. Tomorrow marks 30 days of copper at therapeutic level. Will start to lower copper and start GC in a few days.

Good deal man glad to hear it!

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good to hear. My lineatus is gonna start CopperSafe in a few days and I will follow your lead with a slow ramp!

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 0 luck with slowly ramping on lineatus. I slow ramp from 0-1.75 but as soon as I get near 1.5 they go on strike and die within 2 days. Lost 5 lineatus this way. They would handle 0-1.0 1.2 fine. I slow ramp over 2 weeks too.

OP
OP
T

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 0 luck with slowly ramping on lineatus. I slow ramp from 0-1.75 but as soon as I get near 1.5 they go on strike and die within 2 days. Lost 5 lineatus this way. They would handle 0-1.0 1.2 fine. I slow ramp over 2 weeks too.
Sorry to hear that. I've lost 2 lineatus before this one. I don't know if it makes a big difference but all of the fish in my DT (that I fully quarantined) is from my LFS. I've tried DD/LA and other online vendors and they do not survive. This lineatus I got it from a LFS.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in QT now that went directly into 1.0ppm copper upon arrival and was in 1.75ppm within 48 hours of being with me because I had an MI show up that was place in same QT completely covered in velvet it's been therapuetic for 8 days now.

The One in my DT got the 7day ramp and tolerated it with no issue.

Also have a trio of potters Wrasse in QT right now that we're acclimated directly into 1.0ppm and have started ramping them up. They just arrived Tuesday. Eating well so far.

OP
OP
T

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: my lineatus is two weeks in with CopperSafe at 1.8 on the Hanna meter. I took 5 days to bring him up to that level. I do not run lights on my QT. He is doing well so far, and still has a good appetite.
Awesome. Good to hear. Just make sure to keep the CU level constantly above 1.5. Check everyday. And make sure when ever you do water change the new water should have the same level of CU.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last followup. The wrasse survived 2 rounds of prazi and 30 days of Copper Safe
He's been resting and fattening up in the QT for a week and will go into the DT this weekend. Still eating very well.
Great job! Glad to hear it!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back