3s a crowd?

IrishReefer234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I currently have Purple tang in my 110.4 gallon Waterbox mixed reef tank.
I’m planning on adding a gem tang and a yellow tang. They are the same size as my purple tang.

I already have a fox face and a much small blue tang (3-5cm).

Am I being an idiot trying to add the gem and yellow tangs?

worried that I’m just burning money

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I currently have Purple tang in my 110.4 gallon Waterbox mixed reef tank.
I’m planning on adding a gem tang and a yellow tang. They are the same size as my purple tang.

I already have a fox face and a much small blue tang (3-5cm).

Am I being an idiot trying to add the gem and yellow tangs?

worried that I’m just burning money
I don’t recommend any more tangs, two in a 4’ tank I find to be overkill already (I find only a bristletooth and yellow tang should be kept in a 4’ tank but even then I find yellows deserve 6’ tanks more). Gems also need 6’ atleast and with a foxface already in there I wouldn’t do it (3 large fish is plenty IMO).

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purple is not going to be happy with either in some cases.
If you could QT all three at the same time for a short period so you can maintain control of them easily or use an in tank acclimimatization box so again, you have some control over the first 24hrs.

I’ve found adding newbies to always be a challenge, but if you just add them to DT and one gets attacked, it might be hard to get them back out.

Get them happy in QT together, then the DT will be easy.

Logical_Plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. That is a lot of large fish. Have you thought about how each will look in that tank when they are adult sized? Is there habitat for them? Room to swim?

Max size for fish:
Blue tang - 12"
Yellow tang - 8"
Fox face - 9"
Gem tang - 9"
Purple tang - 9"

Even if they are all an inch or two smaller in captivity, how does that look and feel to you?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One Tang in a 4’ and I wouldn’t do a Purple if left to me. Only a Yellow or maybe a Scopas, but I’d just do a Cthenochaetus other than the Chevron.
+1 to this, IMO even a scopas is pushing it but it’s better than a gem or purple. In terms of Bristletooths, avoid the true striatus and chevron but the rest should be just fine. I think the only way you can even get hold of a chevron is if one appears in the LFS as a rehomed fish

CollectOyster04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggression will play a huge part in a small tank. Stress from cramped quarters being another. Not to mention tangs like to swim. Not much room for that in a 4ft tank. Multiple tangs in a 4ft ? Your just wanting to throw money away. Especially if a purple is one of them.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you guys think a 4 ft tank can only hold 1 tang aggression?
Room. No multiple tangs will work long term without aggression or stress in the long run.
Also, an Acanthurus needs Atleast 6’ if it’s a calm swimmer (Goldrims, Vampires, Orange shoulders, Lavenders ect… - These aren’t all good for 6’ tanks but are calm swimmers). If it’s not calm then it needs 8’ minimum. An example of a hyperactive swimmer are both PBTs.
A Zebrasoma needs 6’ minimum, 8’ for the larger species (Gemmatum and Purple).

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you guys think a 4 ft tank can only hold 1 tang aggression?
You're not wrong... never know, it might work. I believe @vetteguy53081 has several in a 4 footer, he's definitely had success that way. I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing it myself. It's a lot going on, and potential for infighting is too risky for my taste lol...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good luck. That is a lot of large fish. Have you thought about how each will look in that tank when they are adult sized? Is there habitat for them? Room to swim?

Max size for fish:
Blue tang - 12"
Yellow tang - 8"
Fox face - 9"
Gem tang - 9"
Purple tang - 9"

Even if they are all an inch or two smaller in captivity, how does that look and feel to you?
These numbers are in the wild. Largest ive seen captive is Koi Tang at paper plate size and average is 6-8".

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You're not wrong... never know, it might work. I believe @vetteguy53081 has several in a 4 footer, he's definitely had success that way. I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing it myself. It's a lot going on, and potential for infighting is too risky for my taste lol...
I have 17 tangs in a 6ft 135g and its all about water quality, diet and good maintenance to provide Oxygen. I would not recommend to try this in a 4 footer (maybe 4-5 tangs). I have these in here as they are holding for a relocation to Florida in which they will all be going into a 1500 gallon

1641685687966.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back