4 clownfish in a 90?

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still a couple months away from adding fish but trying to get my fishlist together. I have 2 clowns, either percula or occie not 100%, in a 46 bowfront. The big female is my original purchase from 7 years ago and the male is a replacement bought about 3 years ago. Both tank raised and been paired for last 3 years. The female sometimes bites my hand but foe the most part they hang in 1 spot and keep to themselves.

I rescued another pair of clowns about 2 years ago from a coworker who was moving. They've been loving in a frag tank in the basement as I didnt dare put them with the others in a 3 dot 46 gallon. They're also either percs or occurs, 1 regular and 1 snowflake. The original owner had them a couple years and said they were nano. clownfish that wont get full size. They are still the size of juvies even after me having them in a 29 for 2 years.

Can i put all 4 into the 90gallon? Maybe add the smaller guys 1st so they can establish territory and then add my other fish like my tomini, dwarf angel, and regal blue tang before adding the 2 larger clowns?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't. Clowns are VERY territorial even in a 90 you're risking losing 2. The ONLY time I've seen anyone successful keeping more than 2 clowns in a tank is when they're from the same brood.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That wouldn’t work as they are already an established pair

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend it either. I've kept two pairs of clowns on opposite sides of divided tank and the females would constantly try to fight through the egg-crate. I can only imagine they would have killed each other. I've seen some people have success with a harem of 10+ clowns in tanks your size though.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't. Clowns are VERY territorial even in a 90 you're risking losing 2. The ONLY time I've seen anyone successful keeping more than 2 clowns in a tank is when they're from the same brood.
That's what ive read but then i read a lot of post where people said percula and occies are usually much more successfully kept in groups then other clown species. I do plan on adding some springeri damsels as well.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just torn I like the snowflake pattern and if they do stay smaller they're kinda nice. Less bioload too.
But my big girl is my 1st saltwater purchase so cant just toss them aside.

Silly clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put one pair in the 90 am keep your 46 or 29 for the other pair. I would not rehome anyone.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back