4 in large healthy Green male Mandarin Dragnet

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home this eve after two weeks alive and my green mandarin goby/dragonet was laying on the bottom with slime , he had to have died somewhere after 6 am this morning. I inspected him well, he did not have any signs of being in a fight ,or disease, I do however have a 4 in long blue/pink spotted goby who spends his time on the middle of the tank in the backside hidden in the sand.under rocks. the temp is 86.6 deg, the ph =8.4 and my salinity runs 1.026/1.027 , alk is dhk = 11 , zero nitrates/ammonia ?? he was eating /picking pods off the back wall of my 160 display tank for 2 weeks now. he was fat and healthy. so what happened?? Totally confused and SICK!! I hate losing my fish , cheap or Expensive they are my babies ?? tank is 1-1/2 years old. All other fish are fine. I have a Pacific sailfish tang, a Blonde Naso tang, 2 pair of clowns= 2 mated True percs/ 2 mated ocellaris/ 1 banghai Cardinal/ 1= Flame Hawk-fish/ 1 Blue reef Chromis/ a Xmas Wrasse/ and yellow Coris Wrasse / 12 total. My tank is 5ft lg 22 tall, 30 in wide, I have a 75 gal sump/75 gal fuge. Total of 310 gallons. :sad:

Chrisreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the spotted
Manderain prob beat him up.

Have had the same thing happen to me but caught it first. And separated them both quick

OP
OP
Stinger

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never seen any Aggression from my Blue/Pink face Goby?? and I seen No markings on my dead Green Mandarin that would indicate death by Fighting?? of course they don't have scales so this would Not be visible? he is always in the middle back of the tank , hidden . the green mandarin always stayed on the far right or left side of the tank. Of course he would pass by the Blue face gobies den on the way to the other side

MelissaKathryn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You had a big tank.. I'm so sorry for your loss. I have no idea what happened but I just had to empathize :( Good luck figuring out what happened.. Could it have been age?

Mcreefer

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ughhhh I would say the heat. 86 is when everything in my tank starts to die. I keep at 82 max. And that's flirting with trouble since its a short way to 86

OP
OP
Stinger

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Guys , I meant My temp is 78.6 , my salinity is 1.025 to 1.025.5 , such a big tank don't know what happened after 2 weeks, I always drip acclimate my fish in a bucket and monitor the temp. This fish made a long trip from cali 2 weeks ago?? A puzzle to me. thanks for the replies. Maybe I need to keep temp at 78.0 , planning on getting Flame algae to put in my sump. but read that it likes cooler temps.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back