40 aio start up help

Codfather_az

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for the best setup for the back of an aio. Whats the best to put in the 3 chambers? If I ditch the sponge and replace with a media basket/filter sock (flow down) in chamber one, I'm left with an empty chamber (flow up) inc hamber two, I have a few media trays in chamber 3 (flow down). seems to me that would be best for bio media but what? xport blocks? matrix? Chemipure? Chemipure? Rock rubble? Ceramic rings? I planned on running a n external chaeto reactor leaving chamber two open, but if I end up leaving it empty would it be better to use the reactor for gfo and or carbon and use chamber two as a fuge? Also trying to track down an HOB protein skimmer right now which ill crowbar in there somewhere someway. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll tell you what I have in my IM NUVO 30 Long.
Going from left to right:
Filter sock and chemi-pure - protein skimmer - empty (may add some chaeto now - UV - filter sock. I would not recommend adding chemipure until your tank is well cycled.

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 38 gallon AIO that I just finished cycling. To give you some ideas, my 3 chambers have (from intake to output):
- Media basket which I plan to use for Filter Floss and either ChemiPure or Purigen
- Heater (Cobalt, which is flat) and a small skimmer (Tunze 9004) that fits
- Return pump and ATO sensor (XP Aqua Duetto) with the top-off tube pointed into this chamber

Either way, I would put any media into the inflow chamber and not the outflow if space permits, so it catches everything before going through all the other chambers.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back