40 aio start up help

Codfather_az

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for the best setup for the back of an aio. Whats the best to put in the 3 chambers? If I ditch the sponge and replace with a media basket/filter sock (flow down) in chamber one, I'm left with an empty chamber (flow up) inc hamber two, I have a few media trays in chamber 3 (flow down). seems to me that would be best for bio media but what? xport blocks? matrix? Chemipure? Chemipure? Rock rubble? Ceramic rings? I planned on running a n external chaeto reactor leaving chamber two open, but if I end up leaving it empty would it be better to use the reactor for gfo and or carbon and use chamber two as a fuge? Also trying to track down an HOB protein skimmer right now which ill crowbar in there somewhere someway. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll tell you what I have in my IM NUVO 30 Long.
Going from left to right:
Filter sock and chemi-pure - protein skimmer - empty (may add some chaeto now - UV - filter sock. I would not recommend adding chemipure until your tank is well cycled.

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 38 gallon AIO that I just finished cycling. To give you some ideas, my 3 chambers have (from intake to output):
- Media basket which I plan to use for Filter Floss and either ChemiPure or Purigen
- Heater (Cobalt, which is flat) and a small skimmer (Tunze 9004) that fits
- Return pump and ATO sensor (XP Aqua Duetto) with the top-off tube pointed into this chamber

Either way, I would put any media into the inflow chamber and not the outflow if space permits, so it catches everything before going through all the other chambers.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back