40 breeder build/stocking

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it to me. Is it moving around? Aefw will move around and wiggle in the container. Ime even bayer doesn't actually kill them but it makes them let go and knocks them off. But bayer does the best job at getting them off. U need to inspect acros for eggs and dip regulary and qt if possible if it is aefw.

OP
OP
solar

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it to me. Is it moving around? Aefw will move around and wiggle in the container. Ime even bayer doesn't actually kill them but it makes them let go and knocks them off. But bayer does the best job at getting them off. U need to inspect acros for eggs and dip regulary and qt if possible if it is aefw.
Ya it was crawling around in the container and was folding itself in half. I have looked at them with a magnifine glass I dont see any eggs per say or bitemarks, but i didnt see the aefw either so im probably blind.
I dont have a qt atm either. I only have 6 acros, how long if i remove the acros will they live without the food there feeding off them? I have not had time to get the bayer dip. Plan on doing it thursday. Also i have got all my acros minus the green slimer from the same person, Would it be safe to say they have aefw also?
Say I setup a qt with water and rock from my 40 breeder would it cycle? It would only be a 10 gallon and I would use 10 gallons when I did a waterchange.

Last edited:

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea if its aefw then the person u got all the acros from has them also. Unless it was just from the one frag then in spread.to the other 6. This is why u trust no one and dip and QT all acros especially but other corals have pests as well. Sundial snails eat zoas. Red bugs and aefw will die off after 3 weeks i think it is with no food. It is possible to not QT and get rid of them but you have to dip them often to stay ahead of the new eggs hatching before they lay more eggs. But if u miss any they will come back which is why QT is best. GL man.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If adding live rock to a new tank u might have a mini cycle but it would be so small you wouldnt even detect it unless u added fish at first too. But i think aefw/red bugs can also be crawling on your rocks so maybe thats not a good idea

OP
OP
solar

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just sucked out 2 more of them from the rockwork not anywhere near the sps they were actually on the zoa side the more i research it looks like this.
Red Planaria Flatworms just discovered in my tank..... - Reef Central Online CommunityMinus mine are totally clear with a red dot in the center of it.

I dont think the green slimer was the affected coral as it was the first one and is growing and polyping like crazy. that only leaves one other person lol and im not gonna say any names on here.
So if i set up a 10 gallon with empty bottom and 10 gallons of tank water will it cycle if i never add a fish just the acros and some egg crate shelves? See your a night owl also lol i spend so much time lokoing at my tank at night i also noticed i have about 200 little white brittle stars that i cant explain where the hell hey came from.

Last edited:

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asterina stars just come and propagate by breaking off their legs and it grows into a new star. I have tons they are CUC. Yea i just got off work lol.

OP
OP
solar

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asterina stars just come and propagate by breaking off their legs and it grows into a new star. I have tons they are CUC. Yea i just got off work lol.
Ya I have a couple of them also but i literally have 200+ little white brittle stars lol
I think i was freaking out about the flatworms being aefw lol unless aefw are clear, but all the pics of aefw ive seen there brown with spots

OP
OP
solar

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo I set up a qt.. I have aefw it is confirmed "insert exploited deletive here"
But I dipped every acro I have and they were only on the purple deepwater and the lime green acro that has stn or rtn.
On a plus I got a 6 line wrasse today and got the red sea salt it mixes at 9 alk which is totally better than the 12.99 that io was mixing at. Salt is mixing so tommorow I can do a 12 gallon waterchange.
I love how it turns clear in like 5 minutes also!!!
IMAG0688.jpg

On a side note I don't know if it is the bayer or the carbon I just added but tank is really cloudy now. Once I order my light and I recieve it, im taking the mh and putting on the qt tank and moving all the acros there for 6 weeks.
Im not playing around with this crap I will win!!!

Last edited:

jonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just came down with these same flatworms..no idea where they came from as i hadn't gotten any new frags in months and i only see a few in the fuge...from what I'm told these aren't the worst of the worst but can cause problems if they get way out of hand..haven't actually tried it myself yet but I'm being told by everyone that "flat worm exit" seems to work pretty well..might be much easier and less stressful on coral to do this instead of QT.

I'll try and find links tomorrow but i believe these only eat algae and copepods, and only get dangerous to corals if they crawl all over them and upset them..

This is only what I've been told so don't take it as 100% accurate or as 100% truth..I'm no expert, just trying to help out haha

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't add the Bayer directly into the tank, hope you didn't do that. And the carbon shouldn't cloud up your water, it actually does the opposite.

OP
OP
solar

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't add the Bayer directly into the tank, hope you didn't do that. And the carbon shouldn't cloud up your water, it actually does the opposite.
No i just dipped them and rinsed them really good, The skimmer is pulling out black crap now and all my pineapple sponges/regular sponges turned black also, the war coral looks like its spitting out little pieces of guts
Yea if u added that to tank bye bye fishes and bacteria. Tank start over time. :(
Same as above and I appreciate all the help.
I couldnt see the aefw or the bitmarks because the aefw were covering the bitemarks as soon as they were off the acro I seen this.
IMAG0676.jpg
<-- bitemark galore. Stupid worms. I rinsed for 30 min each but I think maybe some was still on the acro?

Im also mixing salt till I get off work today and doing a 20 gallon waterchange that should help. I think maybe the carbon is to strong? I don't know ive never seen tank do this from carbon either but them are the only 2 things I did yesterday.
The carbon is in a bag and I put my drain tube in the bag so the water draining flows throught the carbon, or the bag over the drain tube however you want to look at it lol.

Stupid worms :frusty:

Last edited:

jonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, do believe you're right..red planaria are the ones that can get to plague numbers if left unattended..not trying to thread jack...so back on topic! Haha..
Im waiting to see how his tank is doing..after seeing them say how bad bayer is in the water I'm concerned for him :s

jonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was too slow haha..did you rinse the carbon before you put it in the water? If the answer is "duh, yes" don't be offended..just checking haha hope things get going better for you man

OP
OP
solar

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the red panaria flatworms bad?
Yes they can take over your tank in no time, and if your not quick on removing them when you use say flatworn exit or anything like that they die there toxic so if there is alot of them it will crash your tank

I was too slow haha..did you rinse the carbon before you put it in the water? If the answer is "duh, yes" don't be offended..just checking haha hope things get going better for you man

Ya I rinsed it :tongue:

OP
OP
solar

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what the skimmer gunk looks like, never seen black before.And the sponges that are now black, and the war coral guts so to say.
IMAG0689.jpg
IMAG0690.jpg
IMAG0691.jpg
IMAG0685.jpg
IMAG0693.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back