OP
solar

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After water changes, need to wait a couple hours before testing parameters...

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

I did 3 to be exact :D

Oatameters??? Looks like someone started their weekend a little early... LOL :peace:

Totally me stress reliever is budweiser and tequilla and some bf3 i love to shoot people in the face :plane:

Thats why you quote it. Pics or it disnt happen lol. If you need a light for fuge loq kelvin either 3400 or 6500. I prefer the 3400 and is what i use to grow algae on my scrubber.

Ty are them the new led bulb light you can get at wally world?

Oh and i think i got it figured out it was my hydrometer even thought 2 totally different brand/named/type ones were reading the same it was 6 points off salinity was mixing at 1.030................

F that so I got a refractometer at the critter brought it down to 1.028, tommorow I will bring it down to 1.026 then sunday to 1.024 where it will stay at now! That should fix my alk also or I think it will only time will tell.
Also I have a clown tang coming it is soo cute its like 2" im trying to ctch my chromises lol there fast little buggers!

Anyways ty all for the hepl it is soooooo much appreciated!!!!!!!

Time for Beer and shooting peeps inthe face :painkiller:

Last edited:

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown tangs need a 300g+ tank even when small they need a big tanks else.they will be stressed and attack ur other fish. Dont get one man. Ask joshdavis he had one in a 75 that was a terror. He did fine in my 180 till he got sucked into my skimmer pump :(

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light i was talking about are standard cheap 23w cfl bulbs. The led par bulbs d.not grow algae well and ive used and returned them. NSW is 1.026-1.027 i Wouldnt run at 1.024 . People run fowlers at 1.022 so your really at a low end level of tollerence for corals. Also make sure you calibrate the refractometer before use.

OP
OP
solar

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light i was talking about are standard cheap 23w cfl bulbs. The led par bulbs d.not grow algae well and ive used and returned them. NSW is 1.026-1.027 i Wouldnt run at 1.024 . People run fowlers at 1.022 so your really at a low end level of tollerence for corals. Also make sure you calibrate the refractometer before use.
Ok ill put it at that, man my head hurts I got way to drunk last night... First time in 7 months. Ill be getting my light today at lowes.
The fish going to be a terror even if its in a tank with a bunch of other fish atm and not mean?

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 40B is no place for a clown tang, as Mike stated. I don't think anything below a 180 is good for them and even then the 180 cuts it close.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 40 is not good for any tang as youve alrdy experienced with the powder brown. Clown tangs especially are the most agressive tangs along with sohal tangs. Maybe a kole tang but even then it needs a bigger tank like 75g

OP
OP
solar

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty everyone for the advice, Got my takn stablilized finally! lets see if it stay that way!

sg 1.025
ph 8.2
mag 1300
calcium 480
alk 10
I havent seen a worm in days :D
Still plan on dipping them in 3 more days again.
the lime acro totally stn minus the 2 frags I cut way high to try to avoid them stn or rtn w/e it was.
How can someone keep tangs in a cube but not a long tank I don't understand..
Not saying you guys are wrong. Just a question.
Here are some shots
IMAG0705.jpg
pinger_1444925686.jpg
pinger_1444918730.jpg
IMAG0703.jpg

OP
OP
solar

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For fish like tangs its about swimming area. If u had a 300g tank full of rock the tang wouldnt be happy either.
No im saying people with 60 galon cubes and such, I have been reading alot of build threads and most have a tang or 2 in them.
The only long term experience I have with tangs is a yellow tang I had for years in a 50 gallon way back when.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, just because someone else does something it doesn't make it right or best for the inhabitants. If it did, I would have a shark in my 110.

OP
OP
solar

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, just because someone else does something it doesn't make it right or best for the inhabitants. If it did, I would have a shark in my 110.
Aww then youd mess up all your pretty corals.

I understand all that, all im asking is, how is a cube better for tangs than a long tank?

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww then youd mess up all your pretty corals.

I understand all that, all im asking is, how is a cube better for tangs than a long tank?

Its not. Neither are 2' tall tanks for that matter. Tangs and big fish need lots of space. Basically we have them all in jail cells. Sure you can survive but doesnt mean your happy.

OP
OP
solar

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not. Neither are 2' tall tanks for that matter. Tangs and big fish need lots of space. Basically we have them all in jail cells. Sure you can survive but doesnt mean your happy.
Ah ok ty for explaining that for me. IM GOOING TO BE A DADDY!!!!!!!! WOHOOOOOOO

slayeroftheshadow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on becoming a father. There's nothing in the world like it!

Let me jump in on a bit of a different note on the Clown tang from a different angle. This particular tang is an "Expert Only" fish on any site you see it. The reason it need lots of swimming room is for and highly oxygenated water with lots of flow. That's why it's recommended a MINUMUM of a 6 foot tank is suggested. This is not a blanket statement for all tangs from a species/genus level. You pointed that out with the Yellow. The Zebrasoma gill structure doesn't require as much constant swimming as the Acanthurus family. The clown tank at 2" won't be happy, and (even though I really don't wish this) won't survive for long in such a short swimming space due to lack of oxygenated water.

So, I do wish you the best of luck with the tang, please lmk before you put him in a Tupperware container cuz he's killing things in your tang. As gemoney said, you picked one of the most aggressive tangs available in the hobby. Some are lobbying to remove the clown from being available at all for the reasons above leading to the high death rate in captivity.

OP
OP
solar

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on becoming a father. There's nothing in the world like it!

Let me jump in on a bit of a different note on the Clown tang from a different angle. This particular tang is an "Expert Only" fish on any site you see it. The reason it need lots of swimming room is for and highly oxygenated water with lots of flow. That's why it's recommended a MINUMUM of a 6 foot tank is suggested. This is not a blanket statement for all tangs from a species/genus level. You pointed that out with the Yellow. The Zebrasoma gill structure doesn't require as much constant swimming as the Acanthurus family. The clown tank at 2" won't be happy, and (even though I really don't wish this) won't survive for long in such a short swimming space due to lack of oxygenated water.

So, I do wish you the best of luck with the tang, please lmk before you put him in a Tupperware container cuz he's killing things in your tang. As gemoney said, you picked one of the most aggressive tangs available in the hobby. Some are lobbying to remove the clown from being available at all for the reasons above leading to the high death rate in captivity.
Apprecite the kind words, I left him where I found him.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you really are going to be a father? I was waiting for a comment like "my clowns just laid a bunch of eggs" or something on the order...

Congrats Phil!

OP
OP
solar

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you really are going to be a father? I was waiting for a comment like "my clowns just laid a bunch of eggs" or something on the order...

Congrats Phil!

Yup I'm going to be having a actual baby. And Ty!!!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back